Polling Frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling Frequency

First off great work on the plugin - I've bought a few of your plugins and they work great, and I'd like to buy this one.

I'm using a 3rd party iPad interface (Commandfusion), and really having a hard time with the 4 minute polling delay. If you turn the AC off you don't know if the AC is really off for up to 4 minutes. I looked at the Ecobee API docs and you can query it for free up to 85,000 requests per month which works out to twice per minute. Why did you choose 4 minutes (just curious).

Is there anyway to force a poll? I'd like to setup events that will poll the API after I make a change in the UI. that way if I change the temperature threshold I know for sure the AC or heat is turning off and I don't have to wait 4 minutes to double check.

If there isn't a way to force a poll, has anyone used virtual devices (thats what i'm now trying) or other ways to get around this (show a "Transitioning State or something similar?) It's really a hugely limiting factor of this plugin that is making me bummed out I got rid of my Trane thermostat.

Thanks,

Jim

Would it be possible to add a polling frequency where the user selects from a couple of options like high frequency polling vs reg? Would be really awesome if you could tie the polling frequency to an event or trigger so you could increase polling during awake/home and slow the polling at night and away...

Comment

In the licensing agreement, the "Appendix A: Service Level and Usage Limits" says that the 85000 free queries per month are per implementation, not per user.

This rule is obviously not enforced because the Homeseer Ecobee plugin clearly is above this limit, but that's why I'm reluctant to increase the polling rate (or add a way to change the polling rate). If the plugin starts to make a lot of queries on their server, they could start to enforce the limit and that would break the plugin for all users.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, good reason not to go crazy

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          In the licensing agreement, the "Appendix A: Service Level and Usage Limits" says that the 85000 free queries per month are per implementation, not per user.

This rule is obviously not enforced because the Homeseer Ecobee plugin clearly is above this limit, but that's why I'm reluctant to increase the polling rate (or add a way to change the polling rate). If the plugin starts to make a lot of queries on their server, they could start to enforce the limit and that would break the plugin for all users.
          Spud, do you know how many request your implementation is currently doing? Regardless of the polling rate, if you are well above 85,000/mth at (4) min. Ecobee could pull the plug anytime and everybody who purchased the plug-in would have spent money for nothing. A few years is one thing while a few weeks would be very upsetting. Have you tried clarifying the situation with Ecobee?

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
            Spud, do you know how many request your implementation is currently doing? Regardless of the polling rate, if you are well above 85,000/mth at (4) min. Ecobee could pull the plug anytime and everybody who purchased the plug-in would have spent money for nothing. A few years is one thing while a few weeks would be very upsetting. Have you tried clarifying the situation with Ecobee?
            I don't know the number of requests. You're right, I will try to clarify the situation with them.

Comment

Working...
            X