Anyone know of a zwave combo ceiling fan / light control module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a zwave combo ceiling fan / light control module

I'm looking for a zwave module which can control both the fan speed and light of a combination ceiling fan and light which only has a single switch and power line running to it?

Something like this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...9432/206591100

The above is zigbee. I know nothing about zigbee and would like to avoid it. I don't want to buy a Wink system just for this fan.

Anyone know of anything in the zwave pipeline to solve this common problem?

The plan is to replace current fan wall switch with a zwave keypad to control the module in the fan electrical box. Running an additional power line to the fan is out of the question.

Originally posted by bholio View Post
    I'm looking for a zwave module which can control both the fan speed and light of a combination ceiling fan and light which only has a single switch and power line running to it?

Something like this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...9432/206591100

The above is zigbee. I know nothing about zigbee and would like to avoid it. I don't want to buy a Wink system just for this fan.

Anyone know of anything in the zwave pipeline to solve this common problem?

The plan is to replace current fan wall switch with a zwave keypad to control the module in the fan electrical box. Running an additional power line to the fan is out of the question.
    Z-wave..... It doesn't exist.

I cut the single gang box out and added a double gang box to every room. I use z-wave fan switch and a light switch now.

So I would suggest the the option that you said "is out of the question".

Comment

I've not seen a single gang Z-Wave dual switch either, but would like one as well. However, I have a14/3 wire running to the fan/light. I'm thinking that you can bypass your switch for the fan (wire would then always be hot) and add a micro controller (e.g. Aeotec) inside the fan canopy. Control would then be by event logic. Possibly using the HomeSeer switches which support double tap could allow you to control the light and fan from the same switch. At least that's how I'm thinking I can solve my (same) problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
        .... I'm thinking that you can bypass your switch for the fan (wire would then always be hot) and add a micro controller (e.g. Aeotec) inside the fan canopy. Control would then be by event logic.
        Thats exactly what I want to do. I would use an in-wall keypad instead of double-taps. Do you know the model number for the Aeotec device that you mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
          Z-wave..... It doesn't exist.

I cut the single gang box out and added a double gang box to every room. I use z-wave fan switch and a light switch now.

So I would suggest the the option that you said "is out of the question".
          The issue isn't the gang box itself. I only have a single line to the fan. The fan is on a cathedral ceiling with no attic space above it, and the ceiling is a popcorn ceiling which is difficult to repair if holes are needed to fish the wires.

Comment

Thats exactly what I want to do. I would use an in-wall keypad instead of double-taps. Do you know the model number for the Aeotec device that you mentioned?
            ------------
            The issue isn't the gang box itself. I only have a single line to the fan.
            I don't know the Aeotec model number, but I can try and search for it.

EDIT:
            Could be something like this or this (but you'd want a dimmer for the fan I think).
            However, I'm a bit unclear about what you have now - do you currently have a single power wire which powers both your fan and light together -OR- do you have two (2) separate power wires (one for the light and one for the fan) so that each can be controlled separately?
            Last edited by NetworkGuy; March 19, 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

However, I'm a bit unclear about what you have now - do you currently have a single power wire which powers both your fan and light together -OR- do you have two (2) separate power wires (one for the light and one for the fan) so that each can be controlled separately?
              What I have now is a ceiling fan, with no light, on a single switch. I'd like to replace it with a fan/light combo. I'd like to control each part separately using a separate switches. In order to do this, I need to place something in the fan canopy to split the single power line to 2 independently controlled power lines. From there I could hard wire the power in the existing switch to always power the fan-canopy-module, and set up a multi-button in-wall keypad to control the device in the fan canopy. http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...wdc_rfwc5.html

The double micro switch is the closest zwave device I've seen so far. But I'd like fan speed control. Thanks.

I could hack it by shoving a GE zwave fan dimmer and a separate micro switch for the light in the fan canopy, but I don't think I'll have enough space.

Comment

I could hack it by shoving a GE zwave fan dimmer and a separate micro switch for the light in the fan canopy, but I don't think I'll have enough space.
                That would be the less Mickey, Mickey Mouse way. A dimming micro switch is not rated to control a fan, and you would have to loose fan speed control if you went with a on/off micro switch.

If you can get the whole GE fan switch hidden up there then that would work, just remember if you ever had trouble to need to re-include you need to drop the fan down a little bit to get to the switch to tap it again.

Comment

What I have now is a ceiling fan, with no light, on a single switch. I'd like to replace it with a fan/light combo. I'd like to control each part separately using a separate switches. In order to do this, I need to place something in the fan canopy to split the single power line to 2 independently controlled power lines.
                  Did anyone find a solution to this issue? I need the same thing. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dweingartner View Post

Did anyone find a solution to this issue? I need the same thing. Thanks
                    I'm not an electrician, but electrically speaking, if you have only the switch's line voltage (black) wire and neutral wire at your fan, your not in a good place.

You could split that wire in the canopy, but because that power is controlled by a switch, you'd need to remove any existing switch and pass the power on the black wire straight into the canopy as "always on". If you do this, you could then split that black wire into two "power" wires inside of the canopy. You'd also need to add 2 control switches (e.g. Aeotec micro switches or similar) - one for the fan and one for the light.

Otherwise, without running a second power wire ("line voltage") into your canopy, I'm not sure you can do much more. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

If you do this, you could then split that black wire into two "power" wires inside of the canopy. You'd also need to add 2 control switches (e.g. Aeotec micro switches or similar) - one for the fan and one for the light.
                      Yes, there is a single power line going to the fan junction box. The customer replaced the fan with a fan/light, and as a workaround they have a single fan control switch on the main power so the fan and light are controlled in tandem. Obviously not ideal. They want to be able to separately control the fan speed and the dim the light.

I've seen the Aoetec micro switch but it's on/off. What I (and others on various forums) need is small dimmer switch and equally small fan speed controller that fit in the canopy (or J-box). As you said, we would split the power at the canopy and control both elements with z-wave switches and apps. Of course it would be ideal if someone has already combined these into a single device, but it doesn't look like it.

Comment

Originally posted by dweingartner View Post
                        I've seen the Aoetec micro switch but it's on/off. What I (and others on various forums) need is small dimmer switch and equally small fan speed controller that fit in the canopy (or J-box). As you said, we would split the power at the canopy and control both elements with z-wave switches and apps. Of course it would be ideal if someone has already combined these into a single device, but it doesn't look like it.
                        I was speaking more to your power issues rather than control devices, but I thought Aeotec had at least a light dimmer controller?

Maybe others who've addressed this same issue will have some suggestions for the physical devices.

Comment

Honestly there isn't any clean solution. I had a similar situation and just got an electrician to separate it out into a mutt-gang box and run the additional line. It cost a couple hundred bucks but then I had the flexibility to do whatever I wanted. Looks cleaner too.

Comment

I am running insteon just for this reason. There fan Linc module works great .

Comment

Zooz has a dual Z-wave in wall unit that's now shipping(but not yet on their website). It has a standard dimmer and a separate relay closure, each with their own button. You could sue the dimmer for the lights and the relay for the fan. Don't use the dimmer on the fan - I found the Zooz triac can't handle a motor load and fails; Leviton, GE and even my old Smartlinc X10 dimmers work with my fireplace fan motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X