Boat monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat monitoring

I did a search and the most recent thread on this topic was 6 years ago so I'm hoping for some more up to date feedback.

I need to install a boat monitoring system and would like to use Homeseer + Z-Wave for 2 reasons. First, I literally can't pull any more cables through some parts of the boat without doing some serious reconstruction. Second, I hope to set the system up using widely available components that don't tie me permanently to a single supplier. There are 19 manufacturers of dedicated boat monitoring systems. Most of these systems aren't wireless, lots of them require you to sign up for their cloud service, and they all depend on their own black box control unit. The market isn't big enough for 19 suppliers so some will go bust (Boat Nanny already closed its doors). Predicting who will survive and who will go is impossible. I'm confident Z-Wave is here to stay.

I'm planning to buy Homeseer HS3 or HS3 pro, haven't decided which yet. It will run on the Ship's computer (details below). The computer will of course be doing other things but I think there's plenty of capacity to add Homeseer and I have a spare USB 3.0 port for the stick. Connectivity is by a router with dual WiFi/Cell connections + Ubiquiti Bullet for the WiFi and a new 2J antenna for the cell connection. Phase 2 will change the router and add an Iridium satellite connection for alarm messages.

I'm aware of potential issues including interference from the inverter and other electronics - one question in my mind is whether I need to buy some kind of signal analyzer for troubleshooting.

I know one person who has installed Z-Wave on a boat - I'd very much like to meet others and see if I can learn from their experience.

Boat is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6lrp8TWss (sorry, no soundtrack) - Currently lying Southwold, Suffolk, UK

Computer: Mini ITX, motherboard iBase M1990 + Intel i7 (4 cores x 8 threads) + 8Gb DDR3 + 525 Gb M2 SATA SSD + Windows7

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      We'll start with a few sensors and see how we go.
      Here's the list of Z-Wave devices I want on the boat eventually:-
      • Smart plug to detect loss of shore (mains) power when in a dock with a 23V hookup
      • Water sensor for bilge (we will be retaining marine quality float switches for bilge pump operation, the Z-Wave device will be for sending us a message that the bilge water level is high)
      • MIMOlite bridges wired to detect when the bilge pumps operate
      • Intruder sensors on windows, hatches, and doors
      • PIR/motion sensors
      • Smoke & carbon monoxide sensors (trying to find combined units which detect both)
      • Ambient temperature measurement
      • Remotely operated switches for external lights only (cockpit and deck)
      • Remotely operated switch for hydronic heating system ("hydronic" = furnace + pumped hot water + fan matrixes)
      • Remotely operated switch for electric water heater

Doors and hatches will keep their manual locks.
      Cameras are all hard-wired IP devices, and therefore will be outside the Z-Wave network

Still trying to work out how to create an alarm if the boat is lying at anchor and drags while we are ashore.

Comment

Forgot to say - yes, 24x7x365 power off batteries (12V). Batteries are charged by the main engine when under way, an 8kW generator each morning and evening, and topped off by solar panels during the day.

Comment

Nice boat!
          Code:
          https://www.youtube.com/embed/so6lrp8TWss
          Thanks for sharing
          DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
          BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
          X