Start UPB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start UPB

I am looking at getting into UPB. Currently useing x10 which has been 90% accureat for me.

I am a bit confuesed as of what i need to get started Any help on what is the best way to get started and what to buy?

Also the wall switches i have seen run an average price of $75, is this normal or are there any cheaper one's?

Tim

You need a PIM from PCS, SA, or HAI if you want computer control. AutomatedOutlet.com sells them for around $75 depending upon the manf.

Switches made by Simply Automated and branded as HAL switches are available at Frys or Outpost.com for around $35. If not these then I would go with the US2-40 branded as Simply Automated for around twice this much from AutomatedOutlet.com. A similiar approach can be used for appliance-like and lamp-like modules. There are some other UPB modules that are available if you want to go beyond the basics.

On the software side you have the Homeseer UPB plugin at $40 or xapmcsUPB at no cost. You will also want UPStart.exe as well which can be downloaded from the PIM manufactures's web site at not cost. UPStart is used to program the UPB modules. If you plan it well you can program them to have much of your UPB HA logic.

Comment

I think the days of the $35 HAL switch are gone. (Since raised to $38, but still unavailable.) Other than seeing those prices again (and you probably won't in our lifetimes) I'd try Worthington. You can get a US11-30 switch which includes the faceplate for about $55. While the US2-40 switch has a few more features, the US11-30 switch can do something that the US2-40 switch can not. You can set a switch to go to one dim level, say 75% with a single tap, and a different dim level, say 30%, with a double tab. With the US2-40, one of these two levels must be 100%, but not so with the US11-30.

Comment

Anogee,

What is the website for worthington?

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Look for a UPB starter kit. The deals vary but the one I got came with 2 US2-40s, 1 US11-30, 1 lamp module, 1 phase coupler, and a computer interface all for less than 1/2 the total separately.
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Good tip Jim

I picked up a few extra HAL UPB switches at the Renton Washington Fry's over the Holidays and I did not clear out the shelf. They were still marked at the lower price. I do not know how the stocking policy is between the brick and motar vs. virtual stores.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
              What is the website for worthington?
              http://www.worthdist.com/
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am almost tempted to get another starter kit. Might have to get it from someone other than AutomatedOutlet because I think you are supposed to be limited to one per customer. Even if I didn't use the extra couple and computer interface I would still save some money. I suppose I could always attmept to sell the extra coupler and computer interface for $10 each.
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

As we "speak", I am installing UPB switches now in main bathroom. Neutral was already there (yippee!) but the darn box is one of those drywall boxes with tabs in the corners. Using a dremel to cut them out. Still not sure I will be able to fit wires, US2-40 and a GFCI outlet in the existing double box... Oh well... if it isn't one thing...it is another...
                  Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                  My Hardware & Software

Comment

I'd take Jim's advice there. Buy all the starter kits you can. With the first one I bought I got this nifty 8 button keypad with lights for each button which they don't even make anymore. Also, buy all the HAL switches as Frys you find. Maybe Washingtonites don't automate much. My two Fry's are cleared out.

I spoke to SA about the Fry's deal. They seemed to indicate that it was an experiment gone very wrong. Basically the "HAL Retail" RS101 switches sold at Fry's were really US11-30 switches.

The plan was have the Fry's switches priced for "home" users where the US11-30's would be for the professional automation market. But professionals, and guys like us, couldn't resist the low price, so we bought Fry's switches but the shelf-full, undercutting dealers by about $20 a switch. SA lost money and dealers got mad. I wouldn't be surprised if SA lost money on each switch.

In any case, I'd be very surprised if a Fry's store or Fry.com ever receives another shipment of these switches at that price.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys, All Of the info here was a big help, I can get the HAL switch for $38. thats better then the $75.

Question, Do they make a UPB universal modules like the x10 modules?

Jim Where did you get you starter kits? The only UPB starte kit i could find was one for the ELK SC.

Comment

Do a search for "starter kit" at Automated outlet?

Are you able to actually BUY the $38 switch from somewhere? I've been looking...

They are all bought out...

--Dan
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Starter kits are supposed to be for dealers only but some dealers have managed to get them and resell them. AutomatedOutlet is a good source.

I am also interested in $38 switches. If someone finds them and can get extras and would like to get my undying gratitude...plus $38 each and shipping to my house , let me know.
                          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Question, Do they make a UPB universal modules like the x10 modules?
                            Tfraley,

Yes, but it does much more than an x10 univeral module. Here it is.

http://simply-automated.com/products/sa_UMI.htm

It is both an Input and an output module and can be setup to do multiple operations.

I have one unit that:

1. closes a set of contacts that opens a driveway gate when it receives a UPB link
                            2. closes a set of contacts when it receives a Link related to sunset/sunrise
                            3. monitors a magnetic switch mounted on the gate and sends a UPB link to turn lights on when the gate is opened.(This circuit is routed through the set of contacts in #2 above so that the UPB link is only sent at night.)

Another unit is setup to:

1. closes a set of contacts when it receives a link to turn on Garden lights
                            2. closes a set of contacts when it receives a sunset/sunrise link
                            3. Monitors the 24v relay that operates a waterfall pump, and sends a UPB signal to turn on waterfall lights.(This circuit is routed through the contacts noted in 1 &2 above so that the link to turn on the lights is only sent when both the garden lights are on and it is after dark and the waterfall is turned on.)

In a similar way the unit can receive 2 links at different times and only send a third link when both other links are activated. It will also send the deactivate command when one of the received links is deactivated.( This feature can be turned off, if not wanted)

Have fun,
                            Dave
                            Last edited by ; January 8, 2007, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Wow. One of those would replace my one universal module used for garage door and two powerflash units used for front and back door bells. Problem is that there is no real good reason to switch since the X10 solution is working really well. I suppose if I could sell my existing X10 devices and get a 1/3 of the way to buying the UPB I might consider swapping just because I like UPB.

What does the UPB plug-in show for device status and allow for device control when one of these is used?
                              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
                              X