Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Huggy,
    Which led lights are you using with this?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or similar
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
      Do you have any pics of them in place and lit? Are they reliable as in do they last? I had the LED rope lights above our kitchen cabinets and they didn't last very long. Only one section is still lit.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Do you have any pics of them in place and lit? Are they reliable as in do they last? I had the LED rope lights above our kitchen cabinets and they didn't last very long. Only one section is still lit.
        I have a Y-connected set of strips running around the bottom of the lowest porch railing. It's |_| shaped (upside down) so I attached LED to vertical portion of the U channel pointing towards porch and steps from sidewalk up to porch. Nice glow across the steps and around the porch.

I don't have pictures (yet). Been up maybe 2 months.

I have a string going around a glass display shelf showing off collectible glassware (mostly from Hard Rock Cafe's all over the world from many trips over the years). Been up maybe 1 1/2 years. The LED strip really improves up the ambiance inside, especially when we have guests.

The adhesive is "ok" so I'll be adding silicon adhesive once it's warm enough to set properly. The adhesive is still over 95% bonded. I didn't do a good job at the ends as it was initially proof of concept, which resulted in very high WAF, so I have to finish it. The exterior strip is waterproof while the interior one is not. It's seen rain and freezing temperatures and works great. I currently just turn it on with an outdoor zwave appliance module with my outdoor lights (also zwave controlled). I'm looking forward to a more robust controller

I can see where problems could be created where the connections are made to the strip and between any interconnection points. I used adhesive to both waterproof and physically bond my Y-splitter to the two strips. The weak point for the waterproof version is the connections to the strips. Some solder, silicon adhesive, and good outdoor rated wiring will work just fine to make the thing last a very long time.

And, at $30, I bought a spare
        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I see set fade level. Is that like how long it takes to transition between color setting commands? Or, is that the dim/brightness level?
          Fade level is the time for transition between color setting.

Is there a "get" for each set, or is that available immediately from the associated HS devices? I'd like the controller to be able to tell me via the plug-in, but if it is best left to ask HS for the device status, I can certainly do that.
          You can use standard Polling command for get each color's status. Or everytime you turn ON the device , it will update the status. (When you send ON command to the controller , controller will feedback the current dim level status to homeseer for update device status)
          If you turn ON RGB device , it will update Red / Green / Blue device automatically.

are there any vb.net scripts folks have written yet?
          Plug-in already have few script for you.
          Homeseer Script API

Set Fade Rate :
          SetFadeRate(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal FRate As Integer)
          Example :
          &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SetFadeRate(1, 64)

Set RGB three channel value :
          SetRGB(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal Red As Integer, ByVal Green As Integer, ByVal Blue As Integer)
          Example :
          &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SetRGB(1, 64 , 128 , 255)

Single Channel Control :
          SingleControl(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal Channel As String, ByVal Command As String)
          Channel Valid Value : Red , Green , Blue , RGB
          Command Valid Value : On , Off
          Example :
          &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SingleControl(1, Red , On)

Firmware Version Enquiry :
          FWVersion(ByVal Client As Integer) As String
          Example :
          &hs.WriteLog "Info","The Wifi RGB LED Controller Firmware Version " & CStr(hs.Plugin( "WifiRGB (3P)" ).FWVersion(1))

Comment

Any interest in wireless RGB LED strip lights with HomeSeer?

What's the command for dim level via plugin in a script?
            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Lo View Post
              Fade level is the time for transition between color setting.

You can use standard Polling command for get each color's status. Or everytime you turn ON the device , it will update the status. (When you send ON command to the controller , controller will feedback the current dim level status to homeseer for update device status)
              If you turn ON RGB device , it will update Red / Green / Blue device automatically.

Plug-in already have few script for you.
              Homeseer Script API

Set Fade Rate :
              SetFadeRate(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal FRate As Integer)
              Example :
              &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SetFadeRate(1, 64)

Set RGB three channel value :
              SetRGB(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal Red As Integer, ByVal Green As Integer, ByVal Blue As Integer)
              Example :
              &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SetRGB(1, 64 , 128 , 255)

Single Channel Control :
              SingleControl(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal Channel As String, ByVal Command As String)
              Command Valid Value : On , Off
              Example :
              &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").SingleControl(1, Red , On)

Firmware Version Enquiry :
              FWVersion(ByVal Client As Integer) As String
              Example :
              &hs.WriteLog "Info","The Wifi RGB LED Controller Firmware Version " & CStr(hs.Plugin( "WifiRGB (3P)" ).FWVersion(1))
              Ok, installed plugin for HS2 version 1.0 after configuring device for home wifi/ static ip.

Had to do it twice because I mangled a setting the first time which prevented it from establishing a link. A press of the wifi reset and start over.

I ran the windows utility to predefine some device codes and download to the device. Sadly, the plugin does not collect them from the device and produce them for me. Then again, I did not read the plugin pdf after defining everything.

I have the 4 default devices configured and working in HS2.

I know the chosen wire terminations are popular, but I find they require fine control of the wire and do not like crimped wire ferrules applied. I had one wire pull out after thinking it was snug. This is not a problem with the wire, just me being overly eager to complete the wiring.

I will continue experimenting. I'll email details on the windows application.

The plugin did not install any HS2 sample scripts in the scripts folder, which makes sense since they were not in the zip file.

I'm having a good time getting a feel for it. I like the speed of the response to a HS web interface change.
              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

What's the command for dim level via plugin in a script?
                Sorry , I forget to add this command. Just add in the plug-in , version 1.0.1.1
                New script function add :

Single Channel Dim Control :
                DimControl(ByVal Client As Integer, ByVal Channel As String, ByVal Data As Integer)
                Data Valid Value : 0-255
                Example :
                &hs.plugin("WifiRGB (3P)").DimControl(1, Red , 192)
                Attached Files

Comment

Learning script control of the Kevin Lo LED controller via wifi.

Anything that causes an EEPROM write requires around 1 sec of wait time in a script before the next led controller command.

I see that any OFF command and setting the fade rate cause EEPROM writes.

If I fail to wait, it pretty much jams up the script and seems like it locks up the controller until it is power cycled.

I find that the "ON" command sets the output to 255, which must be 100% duty cycle on the PWM controls. If all 3 channels (RGB) are set to 255, I found it results in a 5A supply being overloaded, and, if left on too long, burns up said supply. FYI, my 5m LED strip uses 15W/m, and at max brightness is > 6A.

There has been at least one occasion of "that's cool" being said during one of the controller tests with the manual dim level controls to step up dim levels manually (via script).

Currently, the plug-in does not return the controller status code returns for any command request, so I cannot made decisions within the vb.net scripts on whether to log a command failure and abort the script, and instead, just continue blindly issuing commands, resulting in nasty red HS log entries.

I'm really trying to find all the edge cases as I do my best as a beta tester to help Kevin. Provided I live within the limitations of the hardware/software, it is pretty solid. Finding the limits seems part of what a beta tester would want to do, so keep that in mind.

I have multiple use-cases for LED controls, with wifi having very specific uses, plus having RF control using an rfxcom's transceiver. Each method has pros and cons.

I'm trying to help Kevin reduce the number of cons for his wifi / x10 / plcbus LED controller, which also helps us HS users with a better understood product.

I see lots of potential for the wifi version to do some really fantastic effects should people want that (I do). If all you want/need is having it just change colors periodically, it's great for that as it is right now. If you want to stretch it to the limit, you will need to be aware of the potential effects of drawing too much current at max intensity - as I found out.

I think there might be a new plug-in version soon (maybe, I hope).

I doubt all my wish-list will be included, but maybe some will.

Wish-list (wifi LED controller by Kevin Lo):
                  1. config ini file setting for max single channel intensity
                  2. config ini file setting for max total RGB intensity (to prevent burning up supply)
                  3. Provide script access to set fade rate in memory only to allow fast fade rate setting changes to maybe fade red at 32, green at 64, and blue at 128 to generate some interesting effects currently not available
                  4. Provide script access to read current fade rate from controller (in case another tcp application connected and changed it)
                  5. Provide script access to read result of command (proper result is 0xAA)
                  6. Allow for script access to send commands very fast in addition to current single command at a time.

For example:
                  a. issue wifiControllerTCPopen(client)
                  b. issue series of controller commands
                  c. issue wifiControllerTCPclose(client)

Currently every command issues the tcp open, send command, tcp close. This may be ok, but does use time to create / release tcp connections way more than necessary for rapid fire control commands.

For the vast majority of users, the current setup is fine, so I may not see any of these wish-list items happen. That's ok, but if I don't at least post them, I may not know if others are interested in one or more of these same wish-list items.
                  huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

1. config ini file setting for max single channel intensity
                    2. config ini file setting for max total RGB intensity (to prevent burning up supply)
                    This two request = "Software fuse" for protect your power supply ? It will make the value very confuse , some controller 100% = 255 , some controller 100% = 192 . So that I need to rewrite the plug-in for this calculation. See did any other user need it or not.

3. Provide script access to set fade rate in memory only to allow fast fade rate setting changes to maybe fade red at 32, green at 64, and blue at 128 to generate some interesting effects currently not available
                    This is not possible to make it in plug-in. Need to change in firmware code. But not easy to do....

4. Provide script access to read current fade rate from controller (in case another tcp application connected and changed it)
                    This much more easy , see attachment , add new script function for you to read the current fade rate settings. New Plug-in version 1.0.2.0

Read Fade Rate :
                    ReadFadeRate(ByVal Client As Integer) As String
                    Example :
                    &hs.WriteLog "Info","The Wifi RGB LED Fade Rate Value : "&CStr(hs.Plugin( "WifiRGB (3P)" ).ReadFadeRate(1))

5. Provide script access to read result of command (proper result is 0xAA)
                    In communication protocol , each command have 0xAA feedback. But I didn't return it in Homeseer. Let me check how to implement is the best way. Should add this feature in next plug-in version.
                    But as I mention in previous post , command with ACK feedback will make the reaction time slower , so in the new firmware version , I will add two new command without ACK feedback. By the way , seem no one interesting in the WinAmp plug-in .......

6. Allow for script access to send commands very fast in addition to current single command at a time.

For example:
                    a. issue wifiControllerTCPopen(client)
                    b. issue series of controller commands
                    c. issue wifiControllerTCPclose(client)
                    Now is every time you call the script , it open TCP socket , send command , close TCP socket. But in my windows setting program , it will keep open the socket until you press the close button.
                    No idea how to make it happen in the plug-in , let me ask some experience plug-in developer , see can they help me to make it work.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Lo View Post
                      This two request = "Software fuse" for protect your power supply ? It will make the value very confuse , some controller 100% = 255 , some controller 100% = 192 . So that I need to rewrite the plug-in for this calculation. See did any other user need it or not.

This is not possible to make it in plug-in. Need to change in firmware code. But not easy to do....

This much more easy , see attachment , add new script function for you to read the current fade rate settings. New Plug-in version 1.0.2.0

Read Fade Rate :
                      ReadFadeRate(ByVal Client As Integer) As String
                      Example :
                      &hs.WriteLog "Info","The Wifi RGB LED Fade Rate Value : "&CStr(hs.Plugin( "WifiRGB (3P)" ).ReadFadeRate(1))

In communication protocol , each command have 0xAA feedback. But I didn't return it in Homeseer. Let me check how to implement is the best way. Should add this feature in next plug-in version.
                      But as I mention in previous post , command with ACK feedback will make the reaction time slower , so in the new firmware version , I will add two new command without ACK feedback. By the way , seem no one interesting in the WinAmp plug-in .......

Will try it all out and let you know how things go - including the winamp plugin. Thank you for considering these wish-list requests.

I have a new power supply on the way that should not have any limits for my 5m LED strips. For testing, I used a 1.5A supply, put an inline 1A fuse, then inserted current sensing meter so I can slowly increase output to see what setpoint for the brightness levels caused 1A of current and cause the fuse to blow. At around 150 total output (RGB) or 150 on any single channel, that was just under 1A and the fuse would not blow. Just over it and the fuse would pop. I accidentally blew the fuse a couple times using the windows program when I clicked on the wrong side of the slider controls (looking at the led strip and not my mouse pointer. It is fun pushing the limits of the technology to see what we can make it do and stay within those limits. No much it cannot do - provided I do not draw too much current
                      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Ok, I've thoroughly tested the plugin code, the web interface, and the winamp plugin. All work well and the winamp plugin dances the LEDs to the music.

I guess I just need some explanation on how the fade rate is applied so I can set it properly.

Fade Rate = 0 has a very different feel than Fade Rate = 1.

What fade rate setting is for as quickly as possible and how long does the slowest value take to fade between the current and newly requested R/G/B setting?

The winamp plugin is pretty cool in how easy it was to make use of it and the effects are zippy quick.

Really nicely done.
                        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Kevin/Others,
                          I integrated a light level sensor to adjust the max brightness of the LED strip dynamically. The light sensor updates maybe every 5 minutes or so (HSM-100). I now have a working system that can go very bright at max brightness. For indoors, I find around 10-20% is more than enough for most situations. With evening room light levels, the sensor max is 18 and looks just fine.

Once I put it behind the TV, we shall see how it enhances the TV viewing experience. YouTubers seem to be raving about it, and it does have a nice effect.
                          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Ok, I've thoroughly tested the plugin code, the web interface, and the winamp plugin. All work well and the winamp plugin dances the LEDs to the music.

I guess I just need some explanation on how the fade rate is applied so I can set it properly.

Fade Rate = 0 has a very different feel than Fade Rate = 1.

What fade rate setting is for as quickly as possible and how long does the slowest value take to fade between the current and newly requested R/G/B setting?

The winamp plugin is pretty cool in how easy it was to make use of it and the effects are zippy quick.

Really nicely done.
                            I would be very interested in how you got the leds to dance to the music from the winamp plug in

Cheers Ken
                            HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
                              I would be very interested in how you got the leds to dance to the music from the winamp plug in

Cheers Ken
                              First, you put the led's in your favorite dancer's hands. Start the music, and then say, dance to the color of the led's.

Works everytime
                              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I test this module now for almost two weeks. Installed HS2 Plug-in version 1.0.2.0 and it's still running fine. No problems like huggy_d1 with the power suply but I use one that can give more than enough (5 amp@12 volt) for the used LED strip. The strip here is single color warm white 5 meter 24 watt total so it draws 2 amp max at 12 volt.

Now for almost a week also running with daily events. It function very well in HomeSeer automation scripts. The fade on and off goes smoothly and for use at the living room 20% dim level is more than enough light. With the cinema mode on and press play, pause or stop it runs great with all other lights. Also with our alarm system automation it runs like programmed.

HSTouch intigrated with a toggle on/off button and fader. Tried fader real time with value true but that's to slow. Fader with real time value false works. Not surprised here, other light modules have same problems when set real time to true.

With WiFi there's almost no delay (less than 0,5 second) but running with XM10 the reaction time is around 1 second after press a HSTouch switch or event. When control WiFi with a KAKU RF remote the delay is somewhere around 1 second but that will be for the total signal path from RF remote to WiFi LED strip.

Kevin-Lo, you made a beautiful module for LED strips with (HomeSeer) domotica control and I will recommend it to all my friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X