Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Remote Logging to an external syslog working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Remote Logging to an external syslog working?

Ultrajones,
    I am having an issue with sending HS log data to a remote syslog server.
    HS3, UltraLog 3.0.6644.26753.

Under Options, I have "Enable Remote Logging On Startup" set to yes, facility is local1, logging severity is debug, and the TCP port is 514.

I have a syslog server that I've confirmed is listening on TCP/514 and can receive messages from other devices. But I see nothing populated from Ultralog, even after rebooting Homeseer.

I have the Ultralog syslog server disabled ("Enable Syslog On Startup" is set to no).

Can you provide any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.

Only one host can connect to TCP port 514. Can you connect to your syslog receiver to confirm no other hosts are connected to the TCP port?

Linux Example:

netstat -an | grep "514"

Windows Example:

netstat -an | find "514"

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ultra:

I'm trying out UltraLog3 due to issues with another Syslog plugin that seems to only be partially working now. HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.428 (Linux) is running on a Lubuntu 16.04 LTS-based server. I have your plugin configured to use TCP port 601 for sending Remote Logs; I do not have the Syslog server function enabled. From a terminal prompt on that Linux server I can type to send test message to my Syslog server:

Code:
      nc -w0 synds1515 601 <<< "<14>TCP User Info msg from `hostname` on `date`"
      With the 'synds1515' host being my Syslog server - it receives those test messages; yet it does not receive anything from UltraLog3. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might try?

Regards,
      BBB

Comment

Try a telnet command from your HomeSeer system to the syslog server to make sure it's not a firewall port that needs to be open. You just need to confirm it's connecting. If that works, then try restarting the plug-in.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

UltraJones:

Restarting the plugin did the trick - should have thought of that myself. I found that it did not work by configuring with the hostname of the syslog server - I had to provide the IP address.

Regards,
          BBB

Comment

Working...
          X