X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeTroller Zee S2 can not set static IP

Greetings all:

Maybe someone can help me:

when I try to set a static IP address via setup->tools->network, it unchecks DHCP and has fields for IP address, net mask etc. Looks fine, I reboot, and the maching boots but I can not find the IP address. I can not ssh into the machine nor does the web interface work....basically bricking the machine. I had to restore off a backup.

What did I do wrong? Or does it not allow static IP addresses?

Thanks!
    schenkl

Here do not use the GUI for IP configuration as earlier versions didn't work for me.

I am thinking that it was fixed a while ago.

That said the Hometroller Zee-2 is running a unique dual boot with DR image made to be managed by the HS3 Zee GUI.

Personally I just configured /etc/network/interfaces for my static IP and the GUI shows the correct stuff and I never touch that piece. I am running the Zee-2 RPI on a POE wired connection today.

My RPi2 has a PiFace RTC and Z-Wave Plus GPIO card in it. (stacked).

Note that I am not using the stock Zee-2 Homeseer 3 provided image but rather a customized RPi2 image for my Zee-2.

The IP stuff (settings) was removed from the Linux HS3 Pro version.
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi schenkl,

Did you managed it in the mean time? Static IP on the Zee S2
      I have treid it al lot but no good results

Regards Paul.

Comment

Static IP

I'm also unable to set a static IP. Something goes wrong when it reboots, and I use the web interface to change it. Grateful for any tips!

Comment

JTB:

Did you get your issue solved? Did you get the static IP going. THe new Raspberry Pi's make the ip address go into the dhcpcd.conf file (that makes no sense to me, but that is what I discovered...you will see that noted int the /etc/network/interfaces file)

schenkl

Comment

Static IP

Hi all:

I'm having the same problem except I screwed the pooch right outta the box. I unchecked the DHCP box (don't remember which tab) expecting to see static IP info boxes to appear. They didn't. The message popped up about nothing working with ethernet changes until reboot so I rebooted (and the pooch squealed!) So now I cannot find it etc. I connected a monitor/keyboard and did the edit of interfaces (sudo nano interfaces) and tried both setting it up as static AND going back to DHCP. As near as I can tell, it is stuck at a static IP of 127.0.0.1 based on the messages about what it connects to at the end of the boot log (right before login). I tried to use ifconfig to get network info but command not found. My Unix/Linux is rusty ... not sure what else to try. Any ideas? Will be calling HomeSeer tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by schenkl View Post
              Greetings all:

Maybe someone can help me:

when I try to set a static IP address via setup->tools->network, it unchecks DHCP and has fields for IP address, net mask etc. Looks fine, I reboot, and the maching boots but I can not find the IP address. I can not ssh into the machine nor does the web interface work....basically bricking the machine. I had to restore off a backup.

What did I do wrong? Or does it not allow static IP addresses?

Thanks!
              schenkl
              Ok, so this is an old post but this information my be useful for others.

Most people use the DHCP server built into their router but other than setting the base network address, such as 192.168.55.0" then never touch anything else.

If you check some of the other settings for the Routers DHCP server you will likely find where you can set the IP addresses you want a given device to use rather than taking an address from the pool of addresses. This is called DHCP Reservations.

To use DHCP Reservations you'll need the MAC address for the device you want to assign a fix IP address to and of course the IP address you want to assign to the device. DO NOT assign an address which is in the pool that DHCP uses. Some Routers get upset if you do that.

Here is how it's done from an Apple AirPort Extreme Other routers will use something similar.

First you have to find the location where the DHCP Reservations are set. In the case of the AirPort Extreme it's on the Network page.

As you can see I have my VeraLite, soon to be replaced with a Zee S2, set to 10.0.1.64. If this was a new entry you'd hit the "+" but I'll hit edit which is basically the same screen.

This is the screen that you set the Description, MAC Address and IP Address. The field "Reserved Address By:" Allows other ways to reserve an address but MAC is the most universal.

Note the MAC Address is six Hex bytes with colons however some routers leave out the colons.

Once you set this up whenever a device with that MAC address asks the DHCP server for an address it will always get the same one. When making a change to DHCP remember the device will not get the IP address immediately however it will get it when it:
              • Reboots
              • Renews it's IP address which is many cases only happens one every 24 hours or so.
              • If you manually force the device to renew it's address.

I suggest using DHCP Reservations as it allows you to keep all of your IP address assignments in a single locations which can be easily changed at any time. Normally when I get a new device I take the MAC address of the device label and setup a DHCP Reservation before I even power up the device. That way I know the address from the getgo.
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

So this "Static IP Address" issue is a known bug then?

I am also experiencing a similar issue where I cannot successfully set the static IP of the wired Ethernet interface of my "HomeTroller Zee S2 (US)" using the HS3 (ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.357) Web Interface. I have not tried any other methods besides unchecking the "Enable DHCP (Automatically assign IP address)" checkbox, setting the network values and re-booting.

In my case, the only reason that I have not lost access to my "HomeTroller Zee S2 (US)" is that I also have the WiFi interface enabled as a safegaurd to make sure that I DON'T loose access to the wired-interface. My plan is to get the WIRED interface successfully set to a static IP and then set my WiFI interface to a STATIC IP also.

I am aware of the option of using a DHCP reservation in my router as a WORKAROUND but I'd rather not use that WORKAROUND.

Is this really a known bug in HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.357 then? Are there plans to fix this in an upcoming release?

Is there currently any functional way to set the static IP of the wired ethernet interface without using a DHCP reservation in your router?

Please Advise.....

Comment

Me personally, I like the static reservation in my router to keep everything in one place and one list. I use DD-WRT on my router and will eventually move to pfSense, but will always keep static reservations in the router.

That said, my Pi2 (basically a Zee) has both the wired and wireless in DHCP static reservation on the router and configure the Pi2 for DHCP.
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I just set the static IP in the OS and do not touch the Homeseer3 GUI.

Is this really a known bug in HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.357 then?

The static IP setting has never worked for me from the very first Zee.

Are you familiar with using SSH?
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by dan_c View Post
                      I am aware of the option of using a DHCP reservation in my router as a WORKAROUND but I'd rather not use that WORKAROUND.
                      I've considered using DHCP reservations as a workaround but just a normal part of network administration. I much rather control the IP address from a central location than run abound to every system and set static IP.

IMHO
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                      Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                      3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                      4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                      3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                      SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Is there currently any functional way to set the static IP of the wired ethernet interface without using a DHCP reservation in your router?

Are you familiar with configuring a static IP on the RPi using SSH?

This is the only way static IP on the Homeseer 3 Lite / Zee2 OS works for me.

Note configuring both WLAN and LAN with the same static IP can only be done via the OS / command line.

Found a short FAQ on configuring both WLAN and LAN to the same static IP.

Wrote the DIY over here ==>

Turning off WiFi when a wired network cable is plugged in
                        Last edited by Pete; September 23, 2017, 06:21 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Static IP Address still an issue...

I reported this when I received my Zee2 module, and worked with support trying several things.
                          I'm told it's resolved, but I still am unable to get the IP address I've assigned, even on the latest release .368 still. The assigned IP is .200.

Any new updates to this? I'd REALLY like to isolate my devices to my schema.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
                          Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 10 Minutes 31 Seconds
                          IP Address: 192.168.1.165
                          Number of Devices: 220
                          Number of Events: 16
                          Available Threads: 390
                          License: Registered

I am supposed to have a case associated with the issue. Found case number, it's 8310.

Glad to work with someone if they want details or to obtain logs, etc.
                          Last edited by AlfaChip; October 18, 2017, 08:43 AM. Reason: Add previous Case Number

Comment

For the Raspbian releases from "jessie" forward, the "proper" method for setting a static address (if you ignore the expert's recommendations to not do it) is thru /etc/dhcpcd.conf, vs. the older way via /etc/network/interfaces.

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-...address-update
                            vs.
                            https://www.modmypi.com/blog/tutoria...tic-ip-address

Also
                            https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...tic-ip-address

For the znetv2, the older way continues to be used. This "kind of works", but there are issues.

Now if they wanted to do it properly, it might look something like this...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X