Battery Operated Led Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know much about Arduino. I understand there's a Wifi version. What's the feasibility of powering by battery, and operating a battery operated led light that runs on 2AA batteries? I will probably create a battery pack that powers both the Arduino, and the Led lights. I read where you can program the Arduino to go to sleep to extend battery life. I've never programmed one, so it's all new to me. So is this possible? can an Arduino turn something on and off /complete a circuit?

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
    I don't know much about Arduino. I understand there's a Wifi version. What's the feasibility of powering by battery, and operating a battery operated led light that runs on 2AA batteries? I will probably create a battery pack that powers both the Arduino, and the Led lights. I read where you can program the Arduino to go to sleep to extend battery life. I've never programmed one, so it's all new to me. So is this possible? can an Arduino turn something on and off /complete a circuit?

Hello tome10, I've been interested in doing the very same thing and am just starting to get into Arduino devices myself. I've found a few threads on other forums where someone was working on using an Arduino board, 3.7V LiPo battery, a small solar panel from an outdoor pathway light to keep it charged and use it to power a small string of LED's. They had not posted a solution yet but if you find something, please post as I am interested too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I think this is what I need. Battery pack for this, and leave the batteries in place for the lights. somehow make this an on off controller. It seems I need something else to interpret the on-momentary to on permanently switch. I guess that would be a breadboard with some kind of switch. I forget what you call those switches.

Comment

I'm having problems trying to figure out what y'all are trying to build from a function standpoint. Can you describe the operation from wall outlet to whatever you are wanting to control?

I'm also unclear on why you would be interested in that z-wave enabled arduino. It costs 15 times more than a wifi ESP8266. What more do you think you will get by using z-wave?

Comment

Is there a plugin for that little wifi module? I have Homeseer, and it's z-wave. Unless there's a plugin, I'm not sure how a wifi device can help me.
          I have decorative led lantern lights sitting on my dining room table. They operate on 2AA batteries, and they never get turned on because there's a little switch underneath in the base which require effort and pre-planning to operate. I have my Foyer lights come on with motion via zwave. I want these lights to come on triggered by the foyer's motion sensor. I do not want to run wires from an outlet to the middle of the dining room table, I wish to hide whatever device I can brew up in the ample hollow space in the bases of said lanterns. I've second thought the powering of everything via one battery pack, and decided on separate battery packs for longevity of the controlling device.
          So, I need a controlled 'latching switch'. I've found that Z-Wave Me Arduino thing which will require a breadboard or something for the latching switch. It operates at 3v, so it should have a good battery life. Then I found the Mimo Lite, and the Mimo Fortrezz, but the Mimo Lite operates at 9v which would not be that good on battery life. I did find some kind of 9v battery pack for guitar pedals putting out 9v~500ma, so the Mimo Lite is on the table. The Mimo Fortrezz is 12v, so it's off the table, although I've found my next garage door controller when the next Linear fails.
          So, is there a plugin for the wifi module? I guess i'll need something else for the Latching Switch, but the wifi module itself is 3.3v.
          so.. What to you know Bubbe? -Snatch

Mimo Lite
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6RZ7MM...a-497553448472
          Big Joe Stomp Box Power Supply
          https://www.amazon.com/Big-Joe-Stomp...tomp+box+power

Comment

I'm not sure you know what sub-forum you posted in. It is the Arduino plugin forum. So yes, there is a plugin that allows for connecting wifi ESP8266s to HS3. Works very well. You might want to take some time and look around. Lots of interesting things have been done.

Now, as far as your particular application, there is a fundamental flaw. The device needs to listen for when to turn ON or OFF. Devices that need to listen for commands from an outside source, especially if radio connected, are seldom designed with battery power. The battery just wouldn't last long. On the other hand, a device that just reports its status when something changes (ie. window sensor) are often battery powered. They sleep until local input is available and only then do they enable the radio so as to send to the mothership.

In terms of the arduino plugin and a wifi ESP8266 vs using the z-wave arduino, since you only need to switch ON/OFF, I see no difference. However, it was interesting that the z-wave device you referenced uses z-wave Plus. That is potentially important since Plus has some advantages in terms of battery management. Not sure how that might be implemented in the device you referenced. I do have my eye on the ESP32 since it does have some advanced battery management and low energy sleep mode.

The device you were trying to think of for switching is called a relay. All it takes is 3-5V and a digital pin going HIGH/LOW to work. Any arduino/ESP8266 would work great for that. Realize that the relay will need to be energized whenever you want the lights on. If on battery, more power draw.

Oh, and by the way, when it comes to batteries and trying to decide how long it might power a device, I match the voltage needed and then focus on the amps.

Comment

I kind-of know what an arduino is, I don't know what people are doing with them. I didn't think they were using wifi for some reason, or that the Arduino plugin is actually a wifi plugin. On the power management issue, I have the Kwikset locks, and those guys go for months on a 4AA's, and my original half baked plan was to get the z-wave removable chip for the Kwikset Locks and connect a power pack to it, and read a schematic or two and I could get it to work. then you get into door codes and buttons that aren't there, so I figured that wouldn't work. So how are the door chips always listening, and so miserly with power? That's what I want. Which z-wave device were you referring? The zwave.me thing, or the Mimo Lite? The Mimo is 9v, and typically batt operated things are 3v. I'm also a little confused on the relay portion. The lights have their power source already, I just need to close the circuit, so I need to isolate the switch from the controlling device some way I think. Maybe relays already have that mechanism in place.
              Oh, and by the way, when it comes to batteries and trying to decide how long it might power a device, I match the voltage needed and then focus on the amps.
              The Mimo is 9v and 500ma, but I can hope it operates at 250ma. The Joe's 9v power supply is only 2000mah. I'm just kinda worried that isn't going to give months on end operation like my door locks. Maybe I have the bar set too high.

Comment

I have an RFXcom Transceiver thingey. I got it to operate my Somfy's, but I couldn't get it to work for the 15 mins I tried it.

Comment

I went old school with this problem. Some of my Xmas lights used 3x 1.5V cells (4.5V total), and I wanted HS3 control of them. I decided to re-purpose an old unused mobile phone charger (5V). Snip/solder, and plug them in to a z-wave socket. Sorted
                  Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                    I think this is what I need. Battery pack for this, and leave the batteries in place for the lights. somehow make this an on off controller. It seems I need something else to interpret the on-momentary to on permanently switch. I guess that would be a breadboard with some kind of switch. I forget what you call those switches.
                    Last edited by The Profit; December 2, 2017, 10:22 AM.
                    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                    Plugin's:
                    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X