searching for ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

searching for ideas...

I have a sort of odd project I am working on. I have a hand cranked generator that puts out 48 VAC. I am looking to get a HS event or device to fire when the crank is turned...

I have some ideas of how to accomplish this; but I wanted to ping the crowd and see if I can come up with something easier/cleaner.

I have some AC optocouplers from an old project where I monitored the 128VAC voltage inside the washer and dryer to generate a TTL signal that I read into a Flyport Wifi board (kind of like a small Raspberry pi). That would create a socket with Homeseer to report the status of the washer and dryer.

I was thinking about reusing these optocouplers, and maybe using it to to control a zwave closed contact sensor. This would require a battery to power the sensor, the optocoupler and maybe control a relay. Lot of load on the batteries (box needs to be self contained but can be opened).

I was thinking that I also have 48VAC AC to power a circuit; albeit for a short period of time. Just enough to turn on a radio and send a signal. I could rectify the voltage and use a switching regulator to step it down.

I have a RFX transceiver sitting on a shelf, and a WGL800 as well; I am not completely limited to zwave here. Anyone have any ideas or tools I am not thinking of?
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

If you have any type of input for Hs how about a 48vac relay. As soon as it gets power it closes a set of contacts. Done.
    Stuart

Comment

Can you rectify and regulate the output? You could power a microcontroller that would send an "on" signal to HS when the crank was turned. Off might have to be accomplished with a timer in HS.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

The 48 VAC relay could work. I could even do a 24VAC relay and connect it to a zwave dry contact connector.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Stuart,
          Do you have a particular model in mind that would work? I see a few here and figured I'd see if you have some experience.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

If you have a DS10, CR-magnet and an opto coupler, you could use these to get to HS wirelessly. As soon as AC is generated by the generator, the CR-magnet picks up the EMF, sends it to the opto coupler which then closes the connection on the DS10. I use this to monitor my sump pump. Has been working for at least 8 years now... Batteries last a long, long time.

Robert

EDIT: Just re-read your post - looks like you have everything you need.
            Last edited by langenet; December 28, 2017, 03:09 PM.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

If you have access to a Z-Wave style toggle switch I have a good method that'll work. the only other things you'll need is a cat, a match, a candle, a rope and a bowling ball.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Hi,
                they all sound like good ideas. I'm just not sure what type of cat would do it. and would a mouse improve response time? any 48vac relay would work, the coil will limit the current flow so you could use a small circuit board relay. Your only concern would be the requirements of the contacts for whatever you switch.

Stuart

Comment

I bought this relay...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it is definitely opening and closing when I turn the crank. The Zwave closed contact sensor is on the way, but that should be the easy part... Thanks again.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Success...

Ok, this was a little strange of a project-- but it is all working.

I inherited a 1920/1930s phone ringer box from my grandmother when she passed. This thing weighs about 30 pound and mounted to the wall. When you wanted to make a call, you would turn the crank and it would ring the bell locally, but also at the phone company. An operator would head the ring and see the light; and then and answer your line and say "number please", and then patch your calls. She was one of these operators back in the day. It was once a modern communication device, I was going to make it one once again. I wanted it to control the lights and it also Tweets.

Using the 24VAC relay, I wired it from the internal generator to one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Z-wave-Magnet...+window+sensor

This then lets HS know when the crank has been turned. I used some events to control the light, and used IFTTT to Tweet when the crank was turned. The kids like effect of turning the lights on and off.

Here it is in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2r3zIUwb2o

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                    X