Can someone suggest a cheap solution for wired security system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone suggest a cheap solution for wired security system

The house I own once had a wired security panel. At present, only the wires and sensors exist. I have traced out the different zones and door switches/wires. I have also found the horn circuit and have tested it and the horn sounds when power is applied to it.

I would like to tie the wires into HS somehow but I don't have a lot of cash to use for this product. Can something be purchased for under $100? I do have an arduino and a raspberry pi that I could allocate to this if a panel is too costly.

I am only looking to be able to arm/disarm using an on/off X10 switch and would like the alarm to flash all x10 lights if triggered as well as ring the wired alarm. I do have some X10 sirens that I could use rather than the wired alarm if it is too difficult to provide power to the wired alarm.

Can anyone help me out on this?

I don't see you doing this for under a hundred to be honest, basic DSC panel will run you $130 or so, a little less if the sensors you have work well enough, maybe could be found on ebay for cheaper, maybe. You'll also need the IT-100 to communicate and of course there is the DSC plug-in for HomeSeer, there are two available that I know of. If you have the HSPro system then you already have the HS DSC plug-in.

While it's not an expensive proposition I don't see you doing it for under a $100 either. You could possibly roll your own using the sensors you have and the arduino or raspberry but to be honest that's not all that secure, depends on your security needs. There is also BLSecurity that uses HomeSeer as the alarm panel but I don't have any idea what sensors or inputs it works with. Check it out here.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I have an actual alarm & two wall controls that I pulled out of my house in working order when I installed my HAI Alarm system. I am sure it has at least 8 zones. You could place a relay on the horn to trigger X10 using what X10 use to call the Burglar Alarm Interface. I am sure I have one I can contribute for the project if you want the alarm. You would probably need a new battery backup for the unit. It's actually in storage at my other house at the moment so I can't think of the name of the unit but it is a main line alarm company. I'll be going to the other house in about a week. Is it worth $45 plus $15 shipping if your interested? Gary

Comment

Do you have the ability to use DS10A's? If so, they make a great poor man's security system! Before I bought a new DSC panel, I disconnected the wires from the old one and hooked the sensors to a bunch of DS10A's. When the doors opened or closed it played a sound so we could tell which door was doing what. Similar thing for the windows. We "armed" the system via a Big Red Switch when we left. Not totally secure but it could sound an alarm, flash lights and send emails when something got opened when no one was supposed to be home....

Rob

Comment

Free

Just bought a house that has an older (but I think nicer) hardwired security system, long since disconnected. PM me your email address and I will shoot you pics when I get back home. Yours for free if it will work for you. You might need to figure out power and such but if you have arduio/RasPi I am sure you can handle that.

Comment

Working...
          X