Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add Tablet's camera as webcam - software recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Tablet's camera as webcam - software recommendation?

Any free, low-resource program recommendations to create a webcam from a Windows 7 tablet webcam? I want to be able to use the built-in cameras on my (soon to be) wall mounted tablets as always live webcams. I will not record their output as I have hikvision IP cameras an throughout the property for that (saved to 12TB of NVR storage), but thought these my be good "freebies" to use for additional view only feeds. The tablets are powered by single core atom N455 processors with 2GB of memory and will also be running HSTouch and the speaker client. I'd like the webcam program to be as low resource as possible - nothing fancy needed.
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

I dug up an old license for Webcam XP / Webcam 7 and it seems to meet my needs - hardly uses any resources and streams the caemera without issue. My only concern is that I probably can't install it on 5 tablets with 1 license. I could use the free version if I don't mind the watermark that will be left on my video.

I think I will try Yawcam too. It has good reviews and is free without restrictions.. has several dependencies I might have to install though.
    Last edited by jrfuda; December 26, 2016, 12:46 PM.
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Maybe give VideoLAN (VLC) a try. It is free and you can configure what you want to do via the GUI, it'll then create the command line configuration for you which you can just copy and paste to a one liner.

I have used VLC with the wintel touch tablets to stream IP cameras, live tv, audio, et al. You can adjust the streaming frame rate, pixel size, et al if you want such that it uses less resources via command line which I used with HSTouch and NIRCMD. (so you would have local and remote control if you wanted to).

Goofing around here a year or so ago put a 4.5" tiny wireless android tablet with camera in my parrot's cage using a free web server software. It ran OK wirelessly and the bird (now around 40 years old) never pecked the tablet to death. She didn't put much of show on as she sleeps much during the day these days.

You can also maybe try video telephony using a light client on the tablets.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

let us know how yawcam works, this is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of before. I'm assuming the use case for this is so that you can check on what the wall mounted HStouch tablets are seeing in your home without installing cameras inside your home?

Comment

Originally posted by jon102034050 View Post
          let us know how yawcam works, this is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of before. I'm assuming the use case for this is so that you can check on what the wall mounted HStouch tablets are seeing in your home without installing cameras inside your home?
          ANDROID

Can be done using: http://freepps.top/apps/media-video/..._2saAjq28P8HAQ

Sorry for the links =====> IP Webcam

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

BTW doing video streaming here from one my wintel table top tablets (Intel Atom based of old) is still a heavy hitter resource hog and dings the Homeseer touch client and speaker client running concurrently.

Tested it on the Wintel 10 micropc / Baytrail Atom / 2Gb machine to work fine at this.

The above mentioned test that I posted relating to the little Android tablet and my parrot related to only running the video server and nothing else.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Have not tried yawcam yet, but HSTouch running concurrently wirh WencamXP seems to be pretty lightweight - averaging about 40% load on a single core atom and N455.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
              John

Comment

Working...
              X