www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API Discussions related to the Amazon Echo native support for connected home products

Old November 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Seer

Any way to exclude a device?

There are some devices I'd rather not have Alexa control, is there a way to prevent these from being discovered?
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:53 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwy View Post
There are some devices I'd rather not have Alexa control, is there a way to prevent these from being discovered?
Disable voice command on the device's configuration tab:

The settings are explained here. Also note that this image is old, there is now an entry for Voice Command under the device name. This allows you to enter a different name to be used for voice control. If nothing is entered, it uses the device name. I will update that post this week.

I think it will remain in your Alexa configuration, but if you delete it it will not be rediscovered if that box is checked.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Seer

I'm afraid that doesn't prevent the echo from discovering or controlling devices. I disabled voice for all of my devices, yet the echo can still control and even discover new devices.
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:45 PM
OverSeer

You can also simply use the forget option if you do not want them included for voice commands
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:47 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I'm afraid that doesn't prevent the echo from discovering or controlling devices. I disabled voice for all of my devices, yet the echo can still control and even discover new devices.
Hmm... That is not how mine worked when I tried the Echo last year and looking at my account, there are still only the two devices on which I have enabled voice control. I just tried to force discovery and it didn't discover any additional devices. I have both skills enabled.

I disabled voice on one of the two, removed the device from Alexa and it was not rediscovered. I enabled voice and it was successfully discovered.

I'm curious why yours is different.
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:50 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
You can also simply use the forget option if you do not want them included for voice commands
For my system forget doesn't stop it from being rediscovered from a force discovery on the Alexa website. It may prevent auto discovery, though I have not checked that.
Old November 13th, 2017, 09:09 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
I used the forget on one of my two devices, yesterday evening. Last night at 10PM it was added through auto discovery. The behavior of the Voice Command checkbox on the devices is consistent. If it is checked, they are discovered and added, when it is not they aren't.
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
It does for me. What devices are these?
Old November 18th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa View Post
It does for me. What devices are these?
Indeed, if they're discoverable by the Alexa device independent of being connected to Homeseer then changing their HS voice setting won't matter. But then you'd see them twice, once as native and then again as their HS device.
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Seer

So I did some playing around. First I updated homeseer since a was several versions behind. I've found that disabling voice prevents the echo from discovering a device, however... If the Echo discovers something, disabling voice in homeseer does not prevent the echo from continuing to control it.

These are my garage doors through the MyQ plugin. I have found that if you go in and set the controls to "not specified" the Echo will give you the "Hmmm, [device name] is not responding". So that's one way to prevent control of a discovered device.

You can of course also just delete them from the echo after disabling voice in homeseer.

Last edited by Screwy; December 16th, 2017 at 02:14 PM.