Time to cut the cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    will go from 200mb blast service down to 25mb service for $50/m...
    so my current promo is $129.99 and funny thing is it said sports pack and something else was included but it seems I have been paying for both of them for the last 1.5yrs!!!!!

so promo $129.99.. .final bill is $169.99!!!!!!!!!!!!

if I add up all the items on my bill, it is still $40 higher than all the items added up.. WTH!!!!!

so $50/m internet + $5/m (well its $60/yr or $6/m so will pay in full) for Hallmark for the wife...

just ordered the HD Homerun Quatro.. overstock.com for $135.99 plus free shipping!!!
    How are you going to feed your TV's the Quatro's signal? Streaming? or Direct?
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Didn't even know direct TV now was a thing. They have a free trial too. Thanks BeenHeavyinFlorida
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
        How are you going to feed your TV's the Quatro's signal? Streaming? or Direct?

so this is the tricky part...

so.... IF it works like my current HDHomerun Prime box...

laptops, ipads, pc's will get live tv via HDHomerun View app...
        OR what I like best
        NextPVR

as mentioned earlier I got PlexPass but not really too happy with the live tv part.

NextPVR just looks like a normal tv guide. Plex ummm just pics and doesn't say channels.. wife isn't gonna like that much...

so it is still in works on what..

my true way I envision it is...

Roku - Plex App and Hallmark App...

this will get the wife on 1 platform and not need to hit the source button HOWEVER....

in Win10 the NextPVR app is so much better, I have Windows Media Center Remote and it fully works great. and from what I am now reading you can get the Hallmark Win10 app...

so more testing to come.... but I will be turning in my hardware most likely this Saturday, txt wife and said that and said.. well max will be next sat...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

@Jeff...your HDHomerun box that was configured with cable will not work with OTA. Test it...you do get free epg stuff with HDHomerun or if you want you can pay a yearly low cost EPG from Schedules Direct which I still utilize for my MythTV box. The data feed is licensed from Tribune Media Services via Zap2it.com for the sole use of the Schedule Direct members. You do get EPG for a couple of days directly from the OTA broadcasts. Works fine except that it is only 2-3 days in advance.

BTW CC was sued a long time ago for not unbundling their packages. They paid the fine and continue to sell bundled packages with now 2 year terms and they do the cellular thing about cancellation of a contract (what a joke). I am thinking they want to start bucket charging soon as they are already tracking usage and charging overage on connections.

Now that AT&T owns DTV they doing long term contracts with newbie DTV folks (another joke) and bundling their stuff now...DTV now is an add on for $10 extra per month...only thing is that I do not watch television on a tablet or phone but do now sometimes on the carpc's HU display...(while being chauffeur for wife).
          Last edited by Pete; January 17, 2018, 09:33 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Seems that a 4 tuner TiVo Bolt and Homerun both do over the air but TiVo Bolt+TiVo Mini gives you more including not only OTA but streaming and DVR as well. If TiVo adds Directv Now there isn't much left it doesn't offer.
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              so this is the tricky part...

so.... IF it works like my current HDHomerun Prime box...

laptops, ipads, pc's will get live tv via HDHomerun View app...
              OR what I like best
              NextPVR

as mentioned earlier I got PlexPass but not really too happy with the live tv part.

NextPVR just looks like a normal tv guide. Plex ummm just pics and doesn't say channels.. wife isn't gonna like that much...

so it is still in works on what..

my true way I envision it is...

Roku - Plex App and Hallmark App...

this will get the wife on 1 platform and not need to hit the source button HOWEVER....

in Win10 the NextPVR app is so much better, I have Windows Media Center Remote and it fully works great. and from what I am now reading you can get the Hallmark Win10 app...

so more testing to come.... but I will be turning in my hardware most likely this Saturday, txt wife and said that and said.. well max will be next sat...
              Thanks, I'm still hoked to a contract so I have to wait (and I need that time to get this right ).

That said I have a fairly complex system in place for recorded material. (SageTV, InifiTV4 (Cable Card), 4 OTH Tuners) Dedicated PC, records material, cuts commercials and loads them onto a server. Accessing the recordings is via streamers to each of the TV's and is NOT wife approved.

What I would love to have is a setup that could access all content (Prime, Netflix, recorded video's, Movies, Live TV) using one EASY to use interface at all the TV's. I'll need to make this happen before I could ever cut the cord.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

What I would love to have is a setup that could access all content (Prime, Netflix, recorded video's, Movies, Live TV) using one EASY to use interface at all the TV's. I'll need to make this happen before I could ever cut the cord.

You can do this today with a Roku enabled LCD TV and you can remote control it today with your little IR remote, smartphone, Alexa, Google Voice and Homeseer.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  @Jeff...your HDHomerun box that was configured with cable will not work with OTA. Test it...
                  I will most likely throw the HDHomerun Prime (cable) box back in the box and on the shelf in case 3 months go by and I re-up with cable tv promo (but doubt it) as I'm ready to cancel cable tv 6 months early and not care about my promo....

I understand my current box will NOT do OTA thus why I just bought the HDHomerun Connect Quatro card which will do OTA...

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                  Seems that a 4 tuner TiVo Bolt and Homerun both do over the air but TiVo Bolt+TiVo Mini gives you more including not only OTA but streaming and DVR as well. If TiVo adds Directv Now there isn't much left it doesn't offer.
                  My friend LOVES his TiVo and TiVo minis... to me.. no way Jose... by the time you pay for all that equipment, yes can recoop in the first year, it is just soo expensive... my bud is doing plex to his TiVo as well....

Thanks, I'm still hoked to a contract so I have to wait (and I need that time to get this right ).

That said I have a fairly complex system in place for recorded material. (SageTV, InifiTV4 (Cable Card), 4 OTH Tuners) Dedicated PC, records material, cuts commercials and loads them onto a server. Accessing the recordings is via streamers to each of the TV's and is NOT wife approved.

I started this 1.5yr ago with getting my setup going. It isn't perfect and not easy to deal with and I'm not done. I will streamline it and figure this out...

I too have to have everything in place and have had it in place. wife has chosen to not embrace it and I am done trying to persuade... this will be a push... I will just have to show her how things are done, document a cue card for her...

so like I said.. what should happen is easy..
                  she turns tv on, Roku app comes up...
                  then she launches either plex or hallmark and watches... I didn't think of amazon prime... that will be in Roku as well...

most likely that is how it will be...

but I will be setting up win10 boxes (have 2 intel nuc not in use) to do live tv.
                  the HDHomerun View app is just so dagone easy... I have our HP TouchSmart iq507 (22" core 2 duo running win10) setup in the basement for her with HDHomerun View app (currently on cable tv) and since it is touch screen easy to navigate...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

You can do this today with a Roku enabled LCD TV and you can remote control it today with your little IR remote, smartphone, Alexa, Google Voice and Homeseer.
                    wish HST added the Like button to forums.... so instead I will quote

I agree as well.. I figured I need to have it well in place before cutting the cord but the cost savings.. she sees it and may gripe on the outside (but understands on the inside) knowing that she will adapt and good results later...

next up is cell phones.... once all of this gets in place.
                    currently @ $220 for 3 smartphones.. dropped it to $110 1.5yr ago but my son used too much data so my wife said get us back on the unlimited plan.. so I did.. have to see if I want to bark up this tree again...

Comment

guy at work keeps raving about this tv.. well he is researching it.. maybe my tv in the future..

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/tcl-p-series-55p607

Comment

So I have to spent >5K worth of TV's to make this happen?

I have a Roku device, but I can't figure out how to get live tv and my bluray rips to play through it. I can't even get it to play my recorded rips.
                        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

So I have to spent >5K worth of TV's to make this happen?

I have a Roku device, but I can't figure out how to get live tv and my bluray rips to play through it. I can't even get it to play my recorded rips.
                          Do you have PLEX? I can do all 3 of those things with PLEX (though I'm still testing out Live TV though it)

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                            Do you have PLEX? I can do all 3 of those things with PLEX (though I'm still testing out Live TV though it)
                            I don't. Do you know of a good primer (as we are indenting on using it) on it so I can check it out?
                            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Plex looks promising. How strong does the server it's running on need to be to deliver high bit-rate media?

I have a WHS 2011 server that's running on a ASRock C2550D41 (Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor).

So with a $40/year sub this is a possible solution, but I have my doubt on it running very well on a C2550 processor.
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                                yeah plex has its quirks...
                                great for organizing movies and playback... the live tv though I'm disappointed but it maybe a viable solution... still nextpvr just might be it..

I don't. Do you know of a good primer (as we are indenting on using it) on it so I can check it out?
                                I'm not caffeinated enough to understand that!!! HAH..

here are some shots of my Plex/Live TV... just took them
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X