TeamViewer hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TeamViewer hacked

Ok I'm putting this company on blast here, but I'm done with TeamViewer after having used it for over 5 years.

So a few key details here:

A couple of weeks ago my main gaming computer was compromised by someone logging into my TeamViewer account and accessing lots of passwords I had saved in multiple browsers and trying to make lots of payments with PayPal (all declined).

I figured that someone had brute-forced my password or simply figured it out, so I changed all my passwords and enabled 2-Factor Authentication so someone has to physically have my iPhone to log in to TeamViewer.

Then, 4 days ago when I was out of town, someone accessed my HomeSeer server (that THANK GOD didn't have any saved passwords). From what I can tell, they did not access HomeSeer at all.

After this happened, I realized that there is no way they could have gotten in by a simple password hack. They would have had to "hack" 3 different passwords, one of which can only be viewed on my iPhone via the Google Authenticator app and changes every 10 seconds.

Then I saw this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co...omises/d38c0jz

EDIT: The second link in that comment to the post on /r/hacking is mine from when my ManCave PC was compromised.

Despite many (dozens and dozens) of people reporting the same issues, TeamViewer continues to deny that they have a security breach. 16 hours ago they posted on the TeamViewer_Help twitter: "We have no security breach. If you are concerned we’d recommend you contact our support department..."

After using TeamViewer for many years on all my computers, I unfortunately will be deleting my account and uninstalling it from all PCs and Servers. I simply cannot afford another compromise due to insecure software, especially from a company that claims to not have any issues internally (even when one user with a very unique and randomized 32-digit password was easily hacked).

I advise all of you to uninstall and remove TeamViewer and use another remote client like Remote Desktop or VNC.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm currently very upset with this company.

You're absolutely right vnc is the way to go, it's so easy to roll a VPN now. I'm so sorry to hear about that experience!

Comment

Yeah, I saw your post on Reddit and closed TeamViewer at once. TeamViewer has posted a response, basically saying that "it's due to careless use as we aren't being hacked".

But I find it to be a bit strange that there is suddenly alot of reports of hacks happening at the same time, apparently even with people using two-factor authentication.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        Yeah, I saw your post on Reddit and closed TeamViewer at once. TeamViewer has posted a response, basically saying that "it's due to careless use as we aren't being hacked".

But I find it to be a bit strange that there is suddenly alot of reports of hacks happening at the same time, apparently even with people using two-factor authentication.
        I saw their response, and that's what I assumed was the case the first time. But like you said, it happened to me again, this time with 2FA enabled.

Comment

Well, you guys scared the pants off me. I use Teamviewer as well. Time to dump it. Do you guys have experience with Sonic Wall and Homeseer?

- Robert

Comment

So what if you don't store your passwords in Teamviewer? I just help out my mother from time to time, but don't maintain a list of available PCs to connect to.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
              So what if you don't store your passwords in Teamviewer? I just help out my mother from time to time, but don't maintain a list of available PCs to connect to.
              I didn't have any TeamViewer passwords stored anywhere, so I don't think that was an issue. As long as TeamViewer isn't set to be running 24/7 and is only opened/exited when needed you should be alright.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I just installed Team Viewer only for access to HomeSeer machine and I had no idea about the security issues.

Comment

Is TV safer if the end host device is locked (or logged out) & there's a decent Windows password on it, or does TV allow a back door to a locked desktop?

Scott

Comment

wow ok... i use teamviewer.. guess ill be switching away.
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Thanks a lot for that information! I uninstalled TeamViewer right away on 3 of my Computers. Scary..

Comment

For now, I decided to keep TeamViewer but limit its use. I wrote AutoIt scripts to run & close TV on all my PCs. These scripts are execute by HS3. When HS3 detects that a particular PC has been on for 5 mins, it runs the script to close TV on that PC (which still starts with Windows). (I decided to auto start TV because I am always on travel and occasionally HS3 will crash so it increases my odds that I will be able to access my system remotely. )
                        When I want to use TV, I run HSTouch which has buttons for every PC to run & close TV. I choose the PC that I want to access and an event is triggered which will launch the appropriate script turning on TV on that PC. Another button runs an event which closes TV.
                        So far, so good. I have rebooted all my PCs multiple times and TV closes reliably.
                        If anyone is interested, I have attached the sanitized version of the scripts. Rename them, changing txt to au3 then go to AutoIt's website to download the editor & compiler to create exe files. The listener program needs to start with windows on the target pc.

- Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
                          For now, I decided to keep TeamViewer but limit its use. I wrote AutoIt scripts to run & close TV on all my PCs. These scripts are execute by HS3. When HS3 detects that a particular PC has been on for 5 mins, it runs the script to close TV on that PC (which still starts with Windows). (I decided to auto start TV because I am always on travel and occasionally HS3 will crash so it increases my odds that I will be able to access my system remotely. )
                          When I want to use TV, I run HSTouch which has buttons for every PC to run & close TV. I choose the PC that I want to access and an event is triggered which will launch the appropriate script turning on TV on that PC. Another button runs an event which closes TV.
                          So far, so good. I have rebooted all my PCs multiple times and TV closes reliably.
                          If anyone is interested, I have attached the sanitized version of the scripts. Rename them, changing txt to au3 then go to AutoIt's website to download the editor & compiler to create exe files. The listener program needs to start with windows on the target pc.

- Robert
                          Nice one Robert, I'll give that a whirl....

Comment

Thanks for sharing Robert! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone
                            Tom
                            baby steps...starting again with HS3
                            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

@bphillips: thanks for sharing, I saw your reddit post too. I've already uninstalled TeamViewer from my servers. Btw, have you ever used their web client? Or just desktop + ios client? Btw, do you (re)use that same userassword in any other online services?

Anyone with good recommendation of something similar to TeamViewer?

I already have RDP + VPN setting, but sometimes the simplicity of setting up TeamViewer is still very valuable. The way it 'calls home' to break through firewall and dynamic ip, and how all your servers can be available in a single place. (I guess this could be the issue in the first place lol).
                              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X