Connected ! Now How do I...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connected ! Now How do I...?

My connection between Amazon and HS3 was easy, and works well...

Alexa <device> dim to 10%

works great.

Question:
    My wife wants a "PANIC" command that will turn on -ALL- the lights

I have not gotten so far that I know how to create "groups" yet, or a "group" that Alexa can see and work on.

Is there an EASY way to setup a command/group/event such that my wife (or anyone) can say

<Alexa> "PANIC MODE ON"

I "think" (as I haven't messed with it in a while) that you can say turn on all lights and the lights that have this option selected in the zwave tab (respond to all on/all off) "should" turn on.

There is another option inside of the Voice Command tab in setup to respond with a question "Are you sure?" for all on/all off commands. I would uncheck that as well.

Try that and let me know. I will need to reinstall this as I use the other skill, to test out if it doesn't.

Comment

Sure just create an event to control as many lights as you like and call that event from Alexa.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Sure just create an event to control as many lights as you like and call that event from Alexa.
        You cannot call events from Alexa with the Connected Home API.
        You would need to create a virtual device, then control that virtual device which would call the event.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          You cannot call events from Alexa with the Connected Home API.
          You would need to create a virtual device, then control that virtual device which would call the event.
          Whoops, you should load the skill as well and then it's as simple as saying the phrase 'run the {event name} event'

Comment

Ok....
            How do I make a virtual device "Discover-able" to Alexa?

Alexa found all of my Lights and switches when I said "Alexa, discover"

Say I have a Virtual Device called "Panic"
            I can setup an event that if PANIC is set to "ON" then turn on lights 1, 3, 5 etc... (or by name).

I haven't gotten to "groups" yet....

But how do I make the virtual device "Panic" show up when Alexa does a discover?
            Attached Files

Comment

For the virtual device you just need to have checked (which you have) allow voice control.

Did you try just saying turn on all lights?

Comment

When I tried "turn on all lights" alexa replied she had no scene or device called "all lights"

The skill is loaded as we are already controlling lights... and when I add a new one, we just say "Alexa Discover" and she finds the new devices. (so far)

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Whoops, you should load the skill as well and then it's as simple as saying the phrase 'run the {event name} event'
                  No, Rupp. The Connected Home API cannot run events. It can only control lighting and thermostats:
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033

The HomeSeer skill can run events by saying "Alexa, tell homeseer to run the event {event name}" You cannot just say "Alexa run the {event name}"

Comment

Originally posted by rsisson View Post
                    When I tried "turn on all lights" alexa replied she had no scene or device called "all lights"

The skill is loaded as we are already controlling lights... and when I add a new one, we just say "Alexa Discover" and she finds the new devices. (so far)
                    I just installed the home API and you are right she isn't controlling all lights as I thought she did in the past. THough I get the response of "OK" vs "can't find device" when I tell her to turn them on or off.

You have a few different options, as said earlier, create the virtual device and have it trigger an event to turn them all on. Then you can set that to be your on/off trigger word or you can install the skill (which has the downside of "Tell Homeseer" prior but is much more robust than the API) and utilize Jon's helper script to make things much easier when said.

I could've swore though that I have seen her control the lights in my initial idea prior.... I'm gonna mess with that some more.

Comment

Got it !
                      Created a Virtual Device called PANIC. with voice enabled
                      Created an event that if PANIC was turned on, it turned on a list of lights (and reset Panic)

Now I need to build a PANIC OFF script....

Comment

Skill vs API?
                        I just went to the Alexa page and said connect and gave my my HomeSeer login and it connected.

I just say
                        ALEXA, turn on (device name) 30%
                        And it does... no "Alexa tell HS to... "

Not sure what exactly I have loaded/configured but it works and I can deal with virtual devices. (Reminds me of HS2)

Still working on groups and other features, but I will go
                        Old school and get it working and THEN try to tighten it with new features.

I messed up ifttt buy putting in the wrong email, and there is no way to
                        Edit it... so I am waiting on support, but that with the google on-hub will give me presence... and will start on those scripts next

Comment

Yep - that is really all you need. There's no need to install the separate skill. Just use it like you have it laid out - virtual devices to control them or run separate events.

Comment

Yeah.. just create a group call "Panic" on the Alexa page and add all the devices you want to control to that group. When you say Alexa turn on "Panic", it will turn on all the devices in that group.
                            I do this for my family room lights as I have 3 z-wave controlled lights in the family room. I just say, Alexa, turn on the family room lights, and they all turn on since they are part of "Family room lights" group. No need to create any virtual device.

Robert
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              No, Rupp. The Connected Home API cannot run events. It can only control lighting and thermostats:
                              https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033

The HomeSeer skill can run events by saying "Alexa, tell homeseer to run the event {event name}" You cannot just say "Alexa run the {event name}"
                              Yes as I said "you should load the skill as well " ...

Comment

Working...
                              X