Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Google Home trigger a *scene*?

Hi,

I know this is pretty basic question... but I kept looking through the forum posts and I do not see any mention of this.

I can get Google Home to turn on/off/dim devices but I want to trigger whole SCENES. Is this not possible?

Originally posted by Strategerizer View Post
    Hi,

I know this is pretty basic question... but I kept looking through the forum posts and I do not see any mention of this.

I can get Google Home to turn on/off/dim devices but I want to trigger whole SCENES. Is this not possible?
    If you are referring to a Z-Wave scene, it can be activated by an event. If Google can directly control an event you could do it that way. Otherwise you could control a virtual device with Google and use it to trigger an event to send the scene.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

@rpade, Interesting suggestion. I have not created virtual devices before but I can see how this may be a workaround worth exploring.

Anyone knows if Google can directly control an event, such as triggering a Z-Wave scene?

Comment

You may have already got the answer. But I control my scenes through Google Assistant by having it turn on\off the buttons on my various scene controllers. Similar to the virtual device answer.

Comment

Hopefully HomeSeer will add support for it soon, they should have everything they need to implement that, thermostats, and other Google home controls:
          https://developers.google.com/action...e/guides/scene

Comment

I use scenes extensively. Hardly ever control a switch manually.

Here is my implementation of scenes.

Every scene has two components. First is a virtual device that is either ON or OFF. Second is an event that triggers when the virtual device goes ON. A few of the scenes also have an event that triggers when the device goes OFF. Some of my scenes are quite extensive in terms of what happens in the event.

So, controlling a scene from google or echo is simply turning the virtual device ON or OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              I use scenes extensively. Hardly ever control a switch manually.

Here is my implementation of scenes.

Every scene has two components. First is a virtual device that is either ON or OFF. Second is an event that triggers when the virtual device goes ON. A few of the scenes also have an event that triggers when the device goes OFF. Some of my scenes are quite extensive in terms of what happens in the event.

So, controlling a scene from google or echo is simply turning the virtual device ON or OFF.
              Thanks for this!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

So what do you have to say to trigger a scene ?
                And what does the GH answers?
                I have quit trying this..

Only when using GH ---->IFTT ---->HS I could just say:
                "Living lights" in order to toggle my lights on/off, and the GH only answers "ok"
                Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

As mentioned, there are work-arounds for scenes. However, it also affects the language that is use. It is activate/deactivate vs. on/off. However, we need to get thermostats and scenes supported first.

P.S. Google is starting to expand the types of devices, (vacuums, washers, dryers, etc.), so that the language for controlling them becomes easier.
                  - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                  Web Site
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X