Most unique use of HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most unique use of HomeSeer

We can all control out lights and our air/heating, etc. but what are some of the more unique uses of HomeSeer that you are accomplishing?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I am not sure how unique it is... but...

I use HomeSeer tied to a sprinkler valve and Maestro to fill my dog's water bowl.

Comment

That's what I'm looking for.

Comment

Maybe not the most unique... but I have float switches connected to DS10as on my fish tanks in case of overflows, and have it issue an email to me and shut off the return pump thru a Z-wave appliance module. I have the same types of warnings for it's temperature using a 1wire sensor in a test tube.

-Mike

Comment

Hi,
          Led recessed in the ceiling triggered by motion as a late night nightlight.
          Stuart

Comment

I use HomeSeer, to monitor/control/chart, my Renewable Energy Resources.

HS 2.1.118, 100% off the grid, powered by the sun wind and fire.

Free energy, Please !

-Zap
            -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
            Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
            HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
            W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

I think HomeSeer claims that it controls the lighting of bridges in New York.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                I use HomeSeer, to monitor/control/chart, my Renewable Energy Resources.

HS 2.1.118, 100% off the grid, powered by the sun wind and fire.

Free energy, Please !

-Zap
                Zap,
                How do you run a PC off the grid? Using power inverters?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower
                  I think HomeSeer claims that it controls the lighting of bridges in New York.
                  Bill,
                  I can vouch first hand for this because I've help this guy with help tickets in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                    Zap,
                    How do you run a PC off the grid? Using power inverters?
                    Hi Rupp,

Yes,
                    All my 110 volt devices are off the grid, I have 2 KW PV array, 5KW wind gen,
                    and a very large battery bank. I use a OutBack DC to AC sinewave inverter for the power conversion.

Like a lot of people I started out small, just a few PV panels and a modified sine wave inverter (Note: ZWave will not work right with this type of inverter HS help ticket # 3821 ) and a couple of batterys.( kinda like a large UPS ) It taken me about 5 years it get all this going, I can go about 10 days with no sun or wind, before firing up the gas gen or reconecting to the grid.

HomeSeer and MCSTemp was a godsend for my needs, to monitor/control and track/chart my system.

Anybody can do it just start out small and work up from there.

I do have one ( Ok three favorite web fourms that I visit ) HomeSeer, and if anybody would like to know, and it OK with homeSeer to post them just let me know. ones base in the UK the other in the US, everything you ever needed to know about R.E.S for the DIYer is there.

Darn Rupp, you sure know how to get me going

Free ELECTRICITY, Yes Please !

-Zap
                    -Mike-

HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts

Comment

Zap,

How much did it cost to get set up? What does just a wind generator cost? Generally speaking, what is the payback period? You've really piqued my interest! How many years do the battery banks last, and then what does it cost to replace them? What generates the most electricity, wind generator or PV panels? Do you have wind all the time in KS?

Very cool!

Oh, to stay on topic, my current weird thing I'm doing with HS is to monitor my hot water tank. Now that we're having a drought in our area, our geothermal heatpump is not regularly heating the hot water (the ground has to have some moisture in it for heat transfer to work properly). Now, when the water temperature gets below 95 degrees, HS starts warning us every 30 minutes by TTS and e-mail to my cell phone that we should power-cycle the furnace. How Microsoft is that? We need rain!

--David

Comment

Originally posted by dkindred
                        Zap,
                        How much did it cost to get set up?
                        Hi David, I really have lost track of the cost, started out small and kept adding.
                        What does just a wind generator cost?
                        I build my wind gen. by hand, cost about a grand for the big one.
                        Generally speaking, what is the payback period?
                        Good question, don't know loss track, to get away from the monopolies, priceless! How ever long it takes.
                        How many years do the battery banks last?
                        15 to 20 years, with good care.
                        What generates the most electricity, wind generator or PV panels?
                        Right now I would have to say for the money that the wind gen does at my site. it all depends on your site, if you lived in city the PV panel would probably surpass the output of a wind gen.
                        Do you have wind all the time in KS?
                        I wind almost never quites blowing here.

Everything you need to know about R.E. can be found at this site.
                        http://www.fieldlines.com

Now back to the topic of this thread.

Instant hot water at the faucets, I put a return loop back to the hot water tank on the hot water line, installed a small circulating pump, set up an event in HS to turn on the pump using a z-wave relay (ZRW100W) switch in the morning and off again at night. Instant hot water no more waiting ! pricesless WAF.

-Zap
                        -Mike-

Comment

Zap,

Thanks for all the info! I'm really impressed about you building your own wind generator.

--David

Comment

Interesting Topic.

I would not be surprised if HS controls the lights on then bridges in New York.

Long time ago, when this BBS was in it's infancy, even before "Eve" someone asked a question about the limitation of HomeSeer. I replied something to the effect that the limitation of HomeSeer is not in HomeSeer, it's in your limitations.

I tried to search for the original post, as it was far better worded, but, alas, it appears to have gone.

As to what I use it for, well anything I can get to work with it. I use it to wake me up in the morning, then turns on the kettle so I can have a cup of coffee and turns on the toaster so I can have toast. If I fall back asleep it is also set to turn of the toaster. It alerts me if anyone enters the drive (slight problem with Spiders on that one), if the car leaves the drive, or anyone gets into it it tells me (Handy if someone breaks into it - it does have to be within range of the home). Most importantly, it reminds me that it's my partners Birthday in three day's, then two, then one. And on her birthday it asks "have I got her a present and a few words I cannot type here" Of course it only speaks to my own PC, not the entire house.
                            sigpic
                            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

This also may not be unique besides the normal, Homeseer and some other hardware assist my wife, she is blind, with the use of Homeseer, palm pads, Homeseer Phone and Mainlobby and the help from this board and Cinemar's board she can make phone calls and know who's calling, get the time of day, weather, turn on the Tv and tune to several of her favorer channels, play music from her playlists, control the satellite radio, and play movies that are set up for her from our dvd collection. And this can be done with out any help from anyone. (Thanks Guys)

Comment

Working...
                              X