www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Camera Plug-ins > Camera Discussion

Old May 25th, 2017, 08:21 AM
OverSeer

To catch a thief

Helping an automation peer with Zoneminder connected to 4 CCTV IP HD cameras. Currently using Zoneminder video algorithms outside.

Side comment: not a real nice neighborhood. (Washington DC). I have suggested using wired outdoor PIR motion sensors connecting them to Elk M1 panel and using these sensors to trigger motion events on Zoneminder.

Yesterday police were all over the neighborhood chasing a purse snatcher.

Caught the thief jumping his back yard fence.

Automator provided short video to authorities. Not sure if it will help?

The attached frames are triggered frames which are 1900X1200 pixel size.

Name:  zmpics.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  86.7 KB

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; May 25th, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:09 AM
OverSeer

Thats awesome!

Where I work, we have a camera system we sell to schools, hospitals, etc.
We had one of the schools share a funny story with us.

It seems there was some altercation at the school and parents/students were summoned to the principals office. The parents each said "There is no way my son started anything!".
The principal pulled up the video and showed the parents. He said it got real quiet, then the parents quietly apologized and dragged their kids out by the ear!

The video never lies

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Seer Master

Yet, there is still denial. They even installed cameras on the school buses at my wife's old school.

Student goes nutz on the bus, parent is called in for conference, and the result is that the parent admits the student in the video "looks" like her little darling, but it COULDN'T be him because "he just doesn't act that way."

Enabled Plug-Ins:
2.0.57.0: BLBackup | 3.0.16.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.2.5.0: Device History | 3.0.3.10: MeiHarmony Hub | 3.0.0.48 Easy Trigger | 3.0.1.90: PHLocation | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.87: weatherXML | 3.0.1.210: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Seer Master

Just my professional opinion here but I see it all too often. Rookies like to install their security cameras as if they are taking a picture of their house. You know what your house looks like, what you want to see is the bad guy. If the camera was mounted on the house looking out you would have gotten a nice shot of his face. Not to mention any professional theif would disable the camera from behind before breaking into your house, I've seen it happen. My favorite trick is to put up a fake camera with a covert camera looking right at it. When they disable the fake one they get very proud of themselves and how smart they are. I know this because I can see it their face!