Update my way out of I/O trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update my way out of I/O trouble?

The root of my problem is that the arduino digital inputs (and possibly outputs) became completely random and unpredictable after working fine for years.

The log is full of "Arduino Plugin Exception in RecievedText: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" These tend to come in pairs every 30 seconds.

It is a Windows PC updated to Windows 10, HS version 3.0.0.368, with one Arduino Mega on a serial port, running plugin V1.0.0.36

I was planning to try updating the plugin and the board, but on the arduino plugin config page, it lists only V1.0.0.36 as available. I see the updater override files in the "arduino plugin beta info" forum thread, but I don't know what to do with them. It is also not very clear which version I should try to use. I would really appreciate any advice.

If you want to try the Beta you can find it in the Beta section at the bottom of the updator where you can install it as normal. Remember and back up your system so if you want to go back you can.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Back in business! Updated to V1.0.0.131, I/O problems fixed.

I hate to admit that my biggest problem was that I was not aware of, and didn't see the small check box in the update column of the plugins manage page. That detail is not mentioned in either the Updating from Arduino V1.0.0.36 to V1.0.0.131 thread or the plugin instructions.

Anyway, the inputs seem to be working now, even with the arduino on the serial port. I really like having I/O points per dollar vs dollars per I/O point. The Arduino plug in makes a very big difference in what I can do with Homeseer.
      Last edited by jchestnuts; December 9, 2017, 11:01 PM. Reason: bad gif

Comment

Update to my update update.

The updated plugin worked great for a couple of hours, then the inputs stopped working, the outputs would not blink, etc. I finally got it working again by rolling back the driver for USB com port that the arduino was using to the earlier version.

I am not sure, but suspect this all started when Windows 10 slithered its way onto my system when I wasn't watching. Like others have said I should probably switch to using an Ethernet adapter board.

Comment

Fixing a W5100 Ethernet shield

I finally switched to using the Ethernet shield for the arduino plug in. The clone Ethernet shield I had on hand did not respond. I found this article https://arduinodiy.wordpress.com/201...the-w5100-bug/
          It turns out my board has the "510 bug" where one of the resistor packs is wrong. There is a fix for it and it worked! The fix involves soldering (2) 100 ohm resistors on the board, I used the smallest ones I had. Note that the drawing of the RJ45 jack in the article is shown from the component side, and also ignore the location of the large mounting holes shown. The picture is my finished repair. I will switch out the repaired clone for a new board when it gets here, but keep it for a backup.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jchestnuts View Post
            The updated plugin worked great for a couple of hours, then the inputs stopped working, the outputs would not blink, etc. I finally got it working again by rolling back the driver for USB com port that the arduino was using to the earlier version.

I am not sure, but suspect this all started when Windows 10 slithered its way onto my system when I wasn't watching. Like others have said I should probably switch to using an Ethernet adapter board.
            FWIW, I am running two separate locations on Win 10 Home with both HomeSeer and Blue Iris. I've had no problems that I would attribute to Win 10. I control when updates are installed.

Comment

Thanks Builder, I am glad to hear that about Windows 10, Homeseer, and Blue Iris. I recently considered buying Blue Iris, and still might in the future, but I decided on a dedicated Samsung system to get something up quickly, so far it has been reliable.

It is deeply satisfying that my HS system has been up and running for a day with no glitches. The Ethernet shield is the way to go. I guess the USB connection doesn't work anymore for the HS arduino plug-in, every time I thought I fixed it, it stopped working again.
              Last edited by jchestnuts; December 17, 2017, 12:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I have 9 arduinos (ESP8266) spread around my property that are all working well. They all connnect via wifi. I am using the API sketch.

Comment

My 3 MEGAs have been rock solid for nearly 1 year, I'm very happy with them and they get used many times per day.

I've just started playing with the Sonoff units (ESP8266 variant). I was going to install the Arduino ino onto it but have loaded tasmota mqtt stuff on it and using a raspberry as the mqtt broker.

Again another way to have arduinos communicate with HS :-)

Arduinos have proven to be HS's best friend !!!

Pete
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

I ordered a W5500 Ethernet shield from Adafruit (I hope this will work with a V2 sketch), another W5100 Ethernet shield from a random seller on Ebay, and 2 NodeMCU's from Valuehobby.

The W5100 board from Ebay just arrived today, and it has the same incorrect resistor pack as the old board that I ordered a few years ago! Apparently it is a common problem. At least I can fix it now.

It sounds like there are many boards that will work now, and wireless is also a reliable option. It would be nice if somebody made a board with built in Ethernet and Wi-Fi, that had a lot of I/O, and came with screw terminals. And cheap, open source, low power, sturdy, reliable, and made with the correct parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X