Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery device Health - CLOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
    Google must be killing it then. I am not receiving it, and it isn't showing up in spam or deleted.
    Last edited by SteveMSJ; January 6, 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks. If you want to remove it I got the file.

Comment

Log Level

I have been trying to minimise the reporting in the log by setting the Log Level in Config to 0. However it seems to make no difference to the reporting level at Log Level 1.
        If I change the Log Level Disable then Enable the plugin I get a report in the log that I have changed the level to 1 or 2 but never anything for a change to 0.
        Have tried downloading plug-in again but still the same.
        Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
          If anybody is interested I've written a Health Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery powered devices and report when they lose contact. It'll be free as it's primarily written for my own use, but if anyone thinks it might be useful then reply here and I will post the plugin.
          Awesome. . .I'll have to try this out tonight!

Comment

OK. I'll risk posting it here then. Once I know it's working ok I will update the post near the beginning of the thread with the latest version:

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

PS I've removed the file for now. I will re-post it when Brett has tested it.
            So far so good. It's picking up the devices correctly and distinguishing the different home IDs correctly. Have 17 identified so far in waiting mode. Will let you know later today how the wake ups go.

Comment

Originally posted by palli View Post
              I have been trying to minimise the reporting in the log by setting the Log Level in Config to 0. However it seems to make no difference to the reporting level at Log Level 1.
              If I change the Log Level Disable then Enable the plugin I get a report in the log that I have changed the level to 1 or 2 but never anything for a change to 0.
              Have tried downloading plug-in again but still the same.
              Am I missing something here?

No your not missing anything, there was a bug preventing the log level being set to zero. I corrected it a couple of days ago and the updated version should be issued this weekend.
              Steve

Comment

I get a broken graphic image for /images/HomeSeer/status/clockwise-start.png and a scan with WinSCP shows that file does not exist. Is there a place I can download it? Not a big deal but I wonder where it went.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                  I get a broken graphic image for /images/HomeSeer/status/clockwise-start.png and a scan with WinSCP shows that file does not exist. Is there a place I can download it? Not a big deal but I wonder where it went.

It should be there in the folder but I don't think HS will object to me posting it here for you.

Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                    The vents do, but as you guess correctly, no "wake-up" information for them. The polling info looks like every 12 hours. in fact, if I search on the node for one of the vents, nothing comes up. however, If I search on "vent", I do see this (e.g.)

Jan-02 8:30:54 AM
                    Z-Wave
                    Device: Vents Office Battery Set to 36
                    Would you like to give the attached version a try? I've added the ability to set up automatic polling of 'Listening' (i.e. non sleeping devices) which simulates regular wake-ups so they can be monitored for when they die.
                    This version is a significant update so make sure you back everything up first in case it all goes wrong. It also includes the ability to cope with multiple Z-Wave networks. The plugin will update any previous devices so there is no need to delete anything. The only exception is if you have multiple Z-Wave interfaces in which case the previous version may have created child devices pointing to the wrong network. If it works for you I will update the version in message #7 of this thread.

The plugin works generally as before, i.e. it picks up devices to monitor as they log wake-up messages. However, there is now an additional section at the bottom of the 'Config' page to add devices that are always awake, i.e. don't log wake-ups.

Click on the 'Select Devices' button and a selector widget opens with a list of devices on the left which can be added. This list is made up of all root devices which have a battery child but excluding any that are already being monitored. If you have run the plug-in long enough for all your 'Non Listening' devices to be picked up then they won't erroneously appear in the list. You definitely don't want to add a 'Non Listening' device to be polled by the plug-in. There are many devices that can be battery powered or usb powered and these will be in the list even if they are running from usb power. You don't want to add these to 'selected devices', although you can if you like and they will be monitored.

Hopefully your Vents will be in the list but if not we will have to investigate their properties further. Move devices into the 'Selected Items' list that you want to monitor by polling, then press the 'Submit' button. The devices should then show in a list next to the 'Select Devices' button. This is all a bit clunky and I've struggled with some issues with the HS jQuery controls but it works of a fashion. One day I will revisit this and clean it all up. The other option is the 'PollingInterval' which is effectively the simulated wake-up period.

Polling takes a couple of seconds if a device is awake or up to 10 seconds if the device is dead. I don't know what the impact is on the system but it's best to keep polling fairly infrequent. If you have selected several devices their polling will be spread out over the polling interval so they aren't all polled at the same time. For example if the PolingInterval is 60 minutes and you have 4 devices selected each will be staggered by 15 minutes.

When a device is successfully polled a message will be logged very similar to a normal wake-up message except it has 'Simulated' in the message. The plug-in will respond to these in the same way as a normal Z-Wave wake-up.

UZB1: Simulated Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 56

NOTE A child monitoring device will not be created until the first successful poll so if you select 1 device and a PollingInterval of 60 minutes it will be 60 minutes before the device is polled and a monitoring child created.

It is working fine with my Aeon Siren. That's about it, so let me know how you get on.

Steve

EDIT
                    I've removed the attachment from this message and added it to message #7 in this thread.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SteveMSJ; January 13, 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I installed this today before I left for work.... all the vents (as well as my door locks) showed up right away!

Just checked it tonight.. they are all there... looks great. No noticeable hit on cpu....

it didn't seem to carry over the room/category for each vent... so I will have to figure out which is which, but a small nit for sure!

nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                        I installed this today before I left for work.... all the vents (as well as my door locks) showed up right away!

Just checked it tonight.. they are all there... looks great. No noticeable hit on cpu....

it didn't seem to carry over the room/category for each vent... so I will have to figure out which is which, but a small nit for sure!

nice job!
                        Thanks for the feedback.

I've tried to keep messages short by not including the location/location2 in the names of the devices when reporting. This works fine for me but if you have several devices with the same name only differentiated by the location/location2 then it won't be as clear as it could be (the address is shown so it can be identified). Everyone uses these in a different way so whether location, location2 or both are necessary depends on the way you work. I will probably need to make it configurable. I debated (with myself ) having the location/location2 of the monitoring child devices adopt the location/location2 of the device they were monitoring, but again which is relevant depends on the way your system is set up. I might make this configurable as well.

Since it now seems to be working pretty well I have plans to include reporting on battery levels as well as the current dead or alive. I already show the battery levels in the monitoring devices but no events can be triggered from these. Battery levels and the point at which they die are so variable between different devices, or even the same devices, which is the reason I created this plugin in the first place. One of my StellaZs died on monday morning, which the plugin alerted me to, at a battery level of 54%. I have had times when they have still been running fine at 20%, or less, so reported battery level is generally a poor indication of health. What I'm considering is having a global low battery level but the ability to override it for individual devices if necessary. I might also consider being able to override some of the other parameters on a device per device basis. The idea would be that the plugin could still automatically build the list of devices and adjust when new devices are added are modified but allow for a little user tinkering of specific devices if necessary.

I will stick with the philosophy of having one Parent device that triggers all the alerts so events don't need to be added/modified as you add or remove devices from your network

Steve

Comment

No your not missing anything, there was a bug preventing the log level being set to zero. I corrected it a couple of days ago and the updated version should be issued this weekend.
                          Steve
                          Still dont seem to be able to get Log 0 to report and function.

Comment

Originally posted by palli View Post
                            Still dont seem to be able to get Log 0 to report and function.

What version are you running?
                            Steve

Comment

What version are you running?
                              Steve
                              I cannot change to Log 0 or get a log entry to that effect.
                              Log1 & 2 ok

Comment

Not sure how you would do this, but hey, I can't write a plugin anyway :-)

but one thought on battery levels.... I have same problem. My motion detectors are great, vents pretty bad, etc. I also notice that one day can be 50%... stay that way for weeks, then drop to 5% over a day.

I remember an old cell phone used to have a setting to let me know if the battery started draining more quickly that usual. Maybe you could set a threshold on depletion rate. sort of like:

IF battery goes below 15%, notify me
                                OR IF battery changes more 10% in 24 hours, notify me.

just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X