Which PIR to use with outdoor camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which PIR to use with outdoor camera

I currently use a hikavision at my front door, setup to detect motion through blue iris and then perform an event - my favorite of which is change all the tablets in my house to the camera view to show me who's at the front door.

Early summer in the Northwest is fraught with insects, and EVERY night i find this going off randomly with spiders, bugs, etc... attracted to the IR. I've read a bunch on this, and it seems the best way to deal with this is use a PIR for motion detection instead.

Any recos on a PIR that is battery powered for this? will be under and Eave, so shouldn't get touched by water, but needs to go down to 20-30 degrees in winter.

Other ideas also welcome.

Here originally started with analog CCTV and ran two cat5e / 1 siamese cable / RGXX to each camera.

Best CCTV camera purchased was a combo PIR camera except I guess they looked too stealthy for sale in the US and still sold in the EU.

That said I went to wired Optex outdoor PIR sensors. Yes here had issues with insects, birds, bugs all of the time.

No issues with cold (in the midwest). You could also try a commercial style for alarm panel wireless outdoor PIR. Batteries will last. I just like the install and forget about it.

Front door/ front walk here use three cameras. High under eave, next to front door and about 10 feet up (on brick) and one that faces the house front door camera built in the brick mailbox.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Here originally started with analog CCTV and ran two cat5e / 1 siamese cable / RGXX to each camera.

Best CCTV camera purchased was a combo PIR camera except I guess they looked too stealthy for sale in the US and still sold in the EU.

That said I went to wired Optex outdoor PIR sensors. Yes here had issues with insects, birds, bugs all of the time.

No issues with cold (in the midwest). You could also try a commercial style for alarm panel wireless outdoor PIR. Batteries will last. I just like the install and forget about it.

Front door/ front walk here use three cameras. High under eave, next to front door and about 10 feet up (on brick) and one that faces the house front door camera built in the brick mailbox.
      thanks. No easy way to wire power... so looking at battery. I've had good luck with my other battery powered PIRs, so not too worried there. Also hoping for zwave to easier connectability.

Comment

I've had good experience with older Schlage and new monoprice multi (zooz)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

this looks like a good option.

Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW100 Multisensor

Comment

I used the aeon labs... I sent it back. Too many problems

I wrote a big review of it on the Vera site.

Even talked to thier lead about it and he admitted there was issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

You could power the PIRs from the same camera power source. My Optex combo CCTV cams use one power source for both built in PIR and Camera. Today my Leviton media can supplies 12VDC/5VDC Power to a few devices in the can and works well and is battery backed up. IE: Motorola SB6141, Ooma Modem, GPS, et al. It is a bit tight and working fine today.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've been using wireless X10 PIRs with good success for years. They are very effective at night, but outside during the day they can be fooled by air currents and wind. That may work ok for your situation, though, since it sounds like insects are only a problem when the IR illumination is on.

The motion sensors are inexpensive and 2 AAA batteries last about 3 years in mine. The biggest expense will be the receiver.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                X