www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Camera Plug-ins > Camera Discussion

Old June 6th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Seer Master

Which PIR to use with outdoor camera

I currently use a hikavision at my front door, setup to detect motion through blue iris and then perform an event - my favorite of which is change all the tablets in my house to the camera view to show me who's at the front door.

Early summer in the Northwest is fraught with insects, and EVERY night i find this going off randomly with spiders, bugs, etc... attracted to the IR. I've read a bunch on this, and it seems the best way to deal with this is use a PIR for motion detection instead.

Any recos on a PIR that is battery powered for this? will be under and Eave, so shouldn't get touched by water, but needs to go down to 20-30 degrees in winter.

Other ideas also welcome.
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:38 AM
OverSeer

Here originally started with analog CCTV and ran two cat5e / 1 siamese cable / RGXX to each camera.

Best CCTV camera purchased was a combo PIR camera except I guess they looked too stealthy for sale in the US and still sold in the EU.

That said I went to wired Optex outdoor PIR sensors. Yes here had issues with insects, birds, bugs all of the time.

No issues with cold (in the midwest). You could also try a commercial style for alarm panel wireless outdoor PIR. Batteries will last. I just like the install and forget about it.

Front door/ front walk here use three cameras. High under eave, next to front door and about 10 feet up (on brick) and one that faces the house front door camera built in the brick mailbox.

Automator

Hardware | HS3 Pro - Haswell iSeries 3 - 16Gb | HS3 Lite Pine64 2Gb computers

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.398 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

HS3 Plugins - a bunch
Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee
Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Amazon Echo
Security - Leviton Omni Pro 2
Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick
Firewall - PFSense
CCTV - Zoneminder

Old June 6th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here originally started with analog CCTV and ran two cat5e / 1 siamese cable / RGXX to each camera.

Best CCTV camera purchased was a combo PIR camera except I guess they looked too stealthy for sale in the US and still sold in the EU.

That said I went to wired Optex outdoor PIR sensors. Yes here had issues with insects, birds, bugs all of the time.

No issues with cold (in the midwest). You could also try a commercial style for alarm panel wireless outdoor PIR. Batteries will last. I just like the install and forget about it.

Front door/ front walk here use three cameras. High under eave, next to front door and about 10 feet up (on brick) and one that faces the house front door camera built in the brick mailbox.
thanks. No easy way to wire power... so looking at battery. I've had good luck with my other battery powered PIRs, so not too worried there. Also hoping for zwave to easier connectability.
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Seer Master

I've had good experience with older Schlage and new monoprice multi (zooz)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Seer Master

this looks like a good option.

Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW100 Multisensor
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Seer Master

I used the aeon labs... I sent it back. Too many problems

I wrote a big review of it on the Vera site.

Even talked to thier lead about it and he admitted there was issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:22 AM
OverSeer

You could power the PIRs from the same camera power source. My Optex combo CCTV cams use one power source for both built in PIR and Camera. Today my Leviton media can supplies 12VDC/5VDC Power to a few devices in the can and works well and is battery backed up. IE: Motorola SB6141, Ooma Modem, GPS, et al. It is a bit tight and working fine today.
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:03 PM
OverSeer

I've been using wireless X10 PIRs with good success for years. They are very effective at night, but outside during the day they can be fooled by air currents and wind. That may work ok for your situation, though, since it sounds like insects are only a problem when the IR illumination is on.

The motion sensors are inexpensive and 2 AAA batteries last about 3 years in mine. The biggest expense will be the receiver.

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3