US rural weather sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for a weather plugin for the TX house, which is pretty remote, and in a canyon. Weatherbug and Weather Underground have no stations listed close by, with the closest being a few miles away where weather patterns are different. What other sources should I be looking at for weather data?
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
    I'm looking for a weather plugin for the TX house, which is pretty remote, and in a canyon. Weatherbug and Weather Underground have no stations listed close by, with the closest being a few miles away where weather patterns are different. What other sources should I be looking at for weather data?
    If you don't already have a Davis weather station, I would start with that. We live 15 miles from the nearest reporting station and we have recorded lots of differences over the years. Really good plugins for the Davis equipment here. Do a search on Davis weather station or weather display.

Barry

Comment

Your post had me looking at the uploaded data this morning. Found an error which had moved my weather station 28 miles east of me.

Here I upload weather data to CWOP. It is better today 2015 than just a couple of years ago.

The use of just about any weather station on site is better than not having a local weather station.

Have always used a weather cam here and there. Lately playing with time lapse photography. You can watch a weeks weather in just a few minutes. It is very impressive.

I rarely look at the site or the data and doing so this morning noticed a message.

Basically it showed the original configuration that I installed and a different location based on the uploading of data.

That said just noticed that in my rush to configure the new CumulusMX software I fat fingered the coordinates of the weather station putting it right next to Lake Michigan which is about 28 miles from me.

Interesting too that I always get WUN notices if the weather data stops uploading from the weather station. I didn't get any notice relating to the differences between the data and the configuration of the weather station.

CWOP message:

The location reported in the weather reports (via APRS) is significantly different to the registered location above. In particular, the difference is about 28.4 miles. If you have changed your location (or software) since the time above, then this can be a false alarm.

Please check which location is correct. If the registered location is incorrect, then you can correct it by dragging the marker above and using the 'send the updated information link'. If the APRS location is incorrect, then you must enter the correct coordinates into your software which generates the weather report (APRS) messages. Note that the various different types of software take the location in different formats, so be sure to use the correct format when entering the latitude and longitude.
      Last edited by Pete; December 16, 2015, 09:25 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Barry and Pete. I am hoping to avoid putting in a weather station due to cost and maintenance. Since there's nobody there most of the year and weather can be harsh, I'm afraid it would be a struggle to keep it working. Maybe I'm wrong. Also, while the rest of the family appreciates some of the tech in the house, they don't want to ever see it.
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Yeah here I installed the Dallas Rain Tipping bucket on my roof many many years ago. That was a mistake.

Then I moved it closer to ground level. First location though would get bad numbers because of the irrigation.

Then I went to using the Davis Vantage Vue; which is good and bad because the rain bucket is integrated to the whole weather device such that many folks say a wind can trigger the rain tipping bucket. Then one day a big bird ate the weather cups. (still do not believe that happened).

Well then went to the Davis Vantage Pro stuff and I think I am OK now.

Weather stations do need a little bit of maintainance over time.

I guess you can do a balance of getting the most for your buck stuff.

IE: what payback can you get relating to the use of a weather station?

I installed a weather station in Florida a few years ago and have not done anything to it over the years and it is still working fine.

The neighbour in FL still has an old Davis weather station on his roof installed in the 1960's but I think the wires are disconnected. Thinking his father installed it.

I did configure my weather station on the neighbors IPad such that he can watch the local weather (next door) whenever.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I put in a number of weather stations before buying the Davis wireless model. The only maintenance over many years has been to replace the battery in the unit (no more that once a year) and the entire control board when ants nested in it and shorted the board (just this past summer). The unit is mounted on a pole in our prairie grass meadow and I do check the rain bucket once a year or so for grass seed and other debris. I did mount the unit in a location that would give me good readings but also allow me to access it when needed.

Until 5 years ago, this was our weekend home and I wanted all my technology to be as low maintenance as possible. I put my Davis Vantage Pro as one of my best technology investments. What really makes it special is HS. The console is hidden away in my media closet. I auto post a Web page update every 10 minutes using a HS event and have an HSTouch screen with the forecast and my local weather data. The latter is a favorite of my wife and visitors. Otherwise, it is pretty invisible.

Barry

Comment

Personally here got bitten by the weather bug many many years ago. There isn't anything better than a direct connect today to an on site weather station.

That is the way it is.

What is nice is that the Davis console will provide real numbers inside and outside and that information today is FTP's to my host server (and CWOP and WUN) where as I never have to directly connect to the Davis console or CumulusMx box.

It just works and I do not have to watch it. (kind of the same analogy here as trying to do security with software - sort of a joke personally).

I do a voluntary upload of data to CWOP and WUN.

That said WUN has gone commercial and it is mostly an advertisement these days such that I personally do not use it. I am guessing it will be a paid service sometime in the future; which is funny because it gets much of its data for free from volunteers that have personal weather stations.

When I first started to play with CWOP here in the midwest it was a disorganized willy nilly mess that really was running on its own with absolutely no checks and balances. (much of this stuff happened cuz no one paid attention making many assumptions).

The funny thing was that NOAA was using it and never really checked on it making a few assumptions about it.

To be honest Reid; nobody cares about the weather by your rural house other than you such that you will need to DIY it yourself which really isn't a bad thing or difficult to do.

Unrelated but I do similar with the weather station in FL. Weather is looked at but I am the only one uploading my data on the key that I could find.

I did a few years back use my local weather data stuff / camera pictures relating to damage caused by a storm. Mostly it was a joke dealing with the state sponsored insured company in Jacksonville; such that I took them to court and made a-holes of the representatives. They only make money and are probably the most dishonest insurance company in the state.

Funny too the small neighbourhood / HOA of 50 houses did get really upset when google went around taking pictures one of three streets due to privacy concerns.
              Last edited by Pete; December 17, 2015, 09:51 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I did look and find a weather station down the street (literally) from the house in Florida.

I have been there a few times but never looked for a weather station there.

I have one time called them for an issue I had when a manatee decided to live under our boat dock.

The web site looks a bit neglected. They are using a Davis Weather station.

Really too where they are at should be looking at their weather station data.

Doesn't appear that they upload their data anywhere though.

Big difference in temperatures. My weather station is mounted high and exposed to the sun?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; December 17, 2015, 05:55 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

To be honest Reid; nobody cares about the weather by your rural house other than you such that you will need to DIY it yourself which really isn't a bad thing or difficult to do.
                  lol I understand Pete. There are a few folks nearby, and everyone around there (mainly farmers) are fanatical about the weather. I was hoping there might be some other public sources I haven't checked yet.

Comment

The farmers nearby might have older weather stations with no internet connectivity.

I still look at my glass barometer every day. (it is in my home office though).

The neighbor in FL father built the home next door in the 1950's. He was probably the one that installed the weather station many many years ago. His son (80?) is not technical. His dad used to be a mayor there. He was a writer for a television show in the 1960's.

Help your neighbors. Modernize your new weatherstation and put it on the internet.

You know probably much more about this kind of stuff than the farmers near by.
                    Last edited by Pete; December 18, 2015, 09:51 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

reidfo,

Check out http://www.weather-display.com/index.php It makes weather data collection easy and so simple, even I can do it. Add in Jon00's Weather Display script and you can do even more fun stuff.

I once considered the weather station as part of my security system and budgeted it accordingly. Now it is under my entertainment budget (even though I don't have to spend any money on it these days). I still check my weather page first think in the morning. As Pete says, not sure anyone else cares or even knows it exists.

The initial cost of the station may seem high but amortized over several years, it is really a good investment. If you search here for weather stations, I think you will find most people wish that had made that investment rather than trying to do it on the cheap.

Would make a great holiday gift to yourself.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                      X