This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growl plugin, any Mac users out there?

I've just finished writing a Growl plugin for HomeSeer2. For the non-Mac users out there Growl is a really good notification system for OSX. More info here: Growl.

The plugin adds a "Send Growl message" action to the web interface, and is of course available in scripts as well. It's possible to broadcast a message to all Growl clients on the LAN.

The plugin is pure .NET 2.0.

There's one known bug, The priority and sticky flag doesn't work yet.

Password protection isn't implemented as of yet. (Can't really see the point myself.)

Please let me know if you find it useful.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ; September 25, 2006, 02:07 AM. Reason: update

What's a Mac?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I finally just got rid of our last Mac. My wife, being an educator, has been stuck using mac's for years. Finally the school districts she's associated with have switched to PC's. All I can say is finally!!!!

Over the years i did manage to get some connectivity between the two systems but not enough to really be useful.

And Maestro looked terrible on a mac, yuck!!
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

developed on a mac

That's an interesting comment... I (the lead developer of maestro), developed maestro exclusively on a mac... with my homeseer test server running on windows xp using parallels.

Are you using the safari web browser perhaps? If so... try using Firefox. There are some odd quirks about the flash implementation on safari, that have kept us from supporting safari fully.

If for some reason you are still having problems, let us know.

-phillip olive
        Harmony Home LLC
        Last edited by ; September 21, 2006, 09:51 AM.

Comment

flic,

Wow, great! I'm mainly a Windows user (programmer actually), but I do use a Powerbook/TiBook as my main laptop. I also use Growl for stuff like iTunes notificaitons, IM, etc, so I am quite familiar with it. I'll give your plug-in a try.
          Thanks for doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by polive96
            That's an interesting comment... I (the lead developer of maestro), developed maestro exclusively on a mac... with my homeseer test server running on windows xp using parallels.

Are you using the safari web browser perhaps? If so... try using Firefox. There are some odd quirks about the flash implementation on safari, that have kept us from supporting safari fully.

If for some reason you are still having problems, let us know.

-phillip olive
            Harmony Home LLC
            I tried safari, then some version of IE for mac, i forget which but that was better but the graphics were all sort of slid to the bottom of somethings. for example the calender box was where it should have been, the calender itself was about an inch lower. the same for other things as well.

Doesn't much matter to me anymore, since the Ole mac is happily on it's way to a new home, where I'm sure it'll be more appreciated.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
              flic,

Wow, great! I'm mainly a Windows user (programmer actually), but I do use a Powerbook/TiBook as my main laptop. I also use Growl for stuff like iTunes notificaitons, IM, etc, so I am quite familiar with it. I'll give your plug-in a try.
              Thanks, I hope you like it.

I'm mainly a Windows user myself, but much like yourself I bought myself a Macbook Pro last year to use as my main laptop. I really liked it, so it quickly took over as my main computer at home. The wife fell in love with it as well and bought herself one of the new Macbooks. So there we were, we just woke up one morning and found out that we apparently were Mac-users! :-)

Comment

Great plugin!

Flic -

Great job! Wife and daughter are both mac users, so I now have an easy, quick way to send them messages...

Thanks again,

K

Comment

Error when called from script

I'm getting the following error when calling from script:

Running script, script run or compile error in file: growltest.txt430:Class doesn't support Automation: 'objGrowl.SendGrowl' in line 2 More info: Class doesn't support Automation: 'objGrowl.SendGrowl'

Here's the script:

Set objGrowl = hs.plugin("Growler")
                  objGrowl.SendGrowl "", "", "foo", "bar",false,""
                  Set objGrowl = Nothing

I'm guessing this is something obvious, but I'm stumped. Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

K

Comment

Originally posted by kwaugh
                    I'm getting the following error when calling from script:

Running script, script run or compile error in file: growltest.txt430:Class doesn't support Automation: 'objGrowl.SendGrowl' in line 2 More info: Class doesn't support Automation: 'objGrowl.SendGrowl'

Here's the script:

Set objGrowl = hs.plugin("Growler")
                    objGrowl.SendGrowl "", "", "foo", "bar",false,""
                    Set objGrowl = Nothing

I'm guessing this is something obvious, but I'm stumped. Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

K
                    My fault, I'm afraid. I've forgotten a parameter in my example. Try

objGrowl.SendGrowl "", "", "foo", "bar","0",false,""

...instead, where the parameter "0" is the message priority. It should work a lot better. Sorry! :-)

Comment

Thanks flic

I'll try it out tonight when I get home from work.

On a related topic, do you know of a growl compatible client for windows machines? I know I could use YAC or others, but I'd prefer to use 1 method for sending messages and have them picked up by both mac and windows machines.

Thanks again,

K

Comment

No, I don't think there is one. I'd like to have one myself.

Comment

Growl...

The change worked like a champ. Thanks...

I'll be continuing my search for a windows growl listener too, this is too good for someone not to have built one!

Thanks again,

K

Comment

If you find one, please let me know.

Comment

Wanted to let the fellow Mac users know that Maestro works great on my MacBook using Firefox! Installed the trial this evening and so far all is well.

Comment

Working...
                              X