Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason *not* to do the free Win10 upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason *not* to do the free Win10 upgrade?

In the lower right-hand part of my screen it appears that Microsoft has snuck in a little windows icon that says "Get Windows 10" when I hover over it. When I click on it, I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	win10free.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1207940

We all know the games Microsoft likes to play, such as how Windows 8 was missing Windows Media Center and how you had to pay extra to get it back.

Are there similar traps in this "free" upgrade? Am I clearly better off in Windows 7 or in Windows 10? Or does it not even matter? I haven't played around with Windows 10 in any meaningful way.

Opinions?

I'm waiting as I'm using WMC on 8.1 and it's gone in 10, can't even buy it as an upgrade. SiliconDust looks like they will have a TV tuner/DVR: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined

8.1 has been great for me, especially with an SSD as it boots incredibly quickly. Of course, I had to add Start8 for $5 to get my start button back

Comment

Yeah here while I still utilize Wintel in the home (now more for touchscreens and WAF) primarily have migrated the day to day stuff to Ubuntu with Wintel VMs. (laptops / desktops that I personally use here). I like that Wintel is lighter now as it got a bit heavy over time.

My Homeseer touch screens (> 20) will remain in lite Wintel mode most likely as that is my preference over Android - that is me though.

I do like the offerings of dual / triple booting tablets now which offer a nice change from Android to Wintel or back and forth stuff.

I am typing right now on my laptop here running a base of Ubuntu 64 bit using Wine for certain wintel programs and VMs for other stuff.

Yesterday goofing around installed Kodi on this particular laptop such that I can stream live TV on this laptop from my MythTV box. Well too I do not watch TV on my laptop. I just wanted to see if I could stream 1080 live TV via my wireless laptop and I can.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Though it is not official yet, it has been confirmed "off the record" that WMC is dead. If that is the case and you use WMC, you don't want the upgrade. That automatically renders my HTPCs stuck on Windows 7 until EOL in 2020, or until I switch to Kodi, Plex or some other solution.

There still is not a connector to Windows Server Essentials, though I believe it has to be there at some point. Without that connector, I will have to revisit my backup and file sharing architecture.

Other than those two rather major obstacles, Windows 10 appears fast and reliable, has been compatible with any programs I have thrown at it, has a much improved UI over Windows 8.1 and the upgrade is free.

If the connector issue is resolved I will do the upgrade on 2 desktops and 3 laptops, but the 5 HTPCs stay on Win7 if they confirm WMC is dead.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
          In the lower right-hand part of my screen it appears that Microsoft has snuck in a little windows icon that says "Get Windows 10" when I hover over it. When I click on it, I get:

[ATTACH]46674[/ATTACH]

Opinions?
          Also, you can click on the little three line icon at the top left and scan your computer for any compatibility issues.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I was under the impression that windows 10 is free for one year, then after that you will have to pay rent to keep using it. Like office 365.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Besides the WMC going away, you also can no longer turn off Windows Updates. If you currently defer updates you will not have the option in Windos 10.

New versions will be a thing of the past, too. Windows 10 features automatic updates from Microsoft which users will receive as they become available for the supported lifetime of the device, at no additional charge, in the same way many cloud providers push out updates automatically.
              Enterprise IT can opt out of the automatic Windows 10 updates and instead lock down mission-critical environments to receive only critical security updates, delivered via Windows Server Update Services.
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                I was under the impression that windows 10 is free for one year, then after that you will have to pay rent to keep using it. Like office 365.
                I don't think that is the case. See this post
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It is free if you upgrade in the year after release. After that you have to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    I plan to try 10 on one PC. I'm a little concerned about the first release, so I won't do it early. If it looks worth while I'll consider it for other PCs, but toward the end of the one-year window.
                    +1
                    When does the one-year window officially open?

Comment

On release date - currently scheduled for 29th July.

Comment

I have been running the Windows 10 Insider/Technical Preview since it was available. It started off a little iffy, but it has progressed well. Still too much W8 interface for my liking, but it is pretty fast. Haven't found that it is any faster or better than W7 Pro.... No outstanding or must-have features.

No real reason *to* do the free upgrade. ...other than it is free. I'll run it, but will wait until SP1 to run it in production.

Comment

Kind of off topic, but with all these WMC (and I am one of them), how come we are still without a plugin in HS3?
                          HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Working...
                          X