Weather Underground Cancels Free API Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground Cancels Free API Program

So, it looks like free APIs will no longer be available from Wundergound.com:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api

Also posted to their forums:

https://apicommunity.wunderground.co...nd-api-changes

I only discovered this while trying to setup the WeatherXML.

It's also unclear how free APIs will be affected going forward, whether they will be grandfathered in or not.

If this is as screwed up as it looks, what will our options be for collecting data from personal weather stations?

Here's my understanding by plugin:

WeatherXML: Uses Wunderground, affected by this change.
    UltraWeatherWU3: Uses Wunderground.
    UltraNetAtmo3: Fine if you own a NetAtmo device, but brand specific.
    UltraWeatherBug3: I don't think weatherbug.com makes use pf PWS'
    Weatherflow: The hardware product has not yet been released to market, coming in June.
    VWS: Virtual Weather Station, I think this is for pulling data from Ambient Weather's Virtual Weather Station product? If so, it is only supported by a limited range of devices, which all start around $600-$800 USD and go up from there.
    Buienradar: Pulls satellite data only? Dutch.
    YR Weather: Pulls data from a Norwegian weather source only (I think).

Now of course most of these products collect data from sources other than just personal weather stations, so data collection hasn't ground to a halt.

But I live in Brisbane, Australia and the Bureau of Meteorology service here is terrible. Forecasts are rarely ever accurate and measured temperatures and rainfall come from weather stations far away that don't reflect conditions in the city. Our one and only rain radar was recently offline for close to three months. So I'm pretty keen on being able to collect my own data and get accurate rainfall measurements.

AmbientWeather.net is the cloud based data collection service for devices purchased through ambientweather.com, it provides API access. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the plugin description pages.

I don't think you can register for the service until you've actually purchased the hardware?

Do any plugins make use of ambientweather.net? Anyone planning to do so in the future?

I'm (very) new here so please excuse any inaccuracies.

That is a real disappointment losing access to the Weather Underground API. I thought it was strange yesterday when my HSTouch panels were showing Snow as the current conditions and it was 80 degrees outside.

I have disabled the WU Weather plugin I was using,
    https://github.com/dk307/HSPI_WUWeather

Luckily I have a Rachio sprinkler controller and that has weather data in order to control how much to water the garden. The UltraRachio3 plugin pulls this weather data into Homeseer. I will need to update all of my HSTouch screens to use this data instead.

It does look however that Rachio itself uses Weather Underground data since the weather station codes look the same. At the moment Rachio is free to use once you have purchased their hardware. I hope that they do not pass along any weather costs they may incur going forwards as a monthly fee.

Comment

Well that's a shame. I just ordered a Ambient Weather station too! I'll have to see what happens with the API thing and costs etc. Might be time to look for a new weather service.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
        ...... Might be time to look for a new weather service.

They are certainly out there, but they all seem to be fee based (at least with respect to the API).
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
          They are certainly out there, but they all seem to be fee based (at least with respect to the API).
          Well I can still login to my WU account and it shows my API key as still valid. I wonder for how long. There's a TON of reports, here and all over the internet about BAD data coming from the API system. Seems like the changes are in progress.

I think this line in the announcement says all we need to know "an IBM business".

Comment

I was wondering the same. My WeatherXML still works with my WU key.

Robert
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Is it now possible that someone would be interested in creating a plugin that can connect directly to our weather stations? I may be all wet but I would like to know the why's if it is not possible, just out of curiosity.

Comment

I have an ambient weather station and it connects to ambientweather.net and it shows all the readings. Is it possible to create something based on that?

Comment

I have been looking at ambient weather stations. I am not sure if their API has forecast data. Depending on the weather station you have there is a data page for current conditions built into the observer module that could be used to get current condition info. I will try to look into ambients API some more when I get home from church this evening.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                    Is it now possible that someone would be interested in creating a plugin that can connect directly to our weather stations? I may be all wet but I would like to know the why's if it is not possible, just out of curiosity.
                    As far as I can tell, my AmbientWeather station does not have a live weather page or direct API access to the data. There are models that have live data. It only posts to WU and AmbientWeather.net. Ambient provides access to the AmbientWeather.net data through an API.

While Ambient provides access to the data and/or certain models provide live data, neither of those solutions will provide forecasts and alerts. I will need to find a way to get that data, as I have some automation based on forecast information.

I have not received any notice from WU regarding my API key use, nor have there been any problems as of this post.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      As far as I can tell, my AmbientWeather station does not have a live weather page or direct API access to the data. There are models that have live data. It only posts to WU and AmbientWeather.net. Ambient provides access to the AmbientWeather.net data through an API.

While Ambient provides access to the data and/or certain models provide live data, neither of those solutions will provide forecasts and alerts. I will need to find a way to get that data, as I have some automation based on forecast information.

I have not received any notice from WU regarding my API key use, nor have there been any problems as of this post.
                      As an FYI, I'm getting snow temperatures as well here and there and is about 70 outside but no notification from them that something is changing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine is currently still working and I also have not received a notification of termination, though the post on their site definitely suggests that this is all over .
                        cheeryfool

Comment

On the WU forums a user asked if those who upload their data from their weather station would still have access to the API.

Tim Roche, Official Rep answered
                          "You will no longer have access to the PWS data through the API. You will however have access to the data on your PWS page if you click the table view, you will see a download option."
                          --
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            It only posts to WU and AmbientWeather.net. Ambient provides access to the AmbientWeather.net data through an API.

If that is the case then could there be a plugin made if the API info is available?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                              If that is the case then could there be a plugin made if the API info is available?
                              The API is mentioned at the bottom of this page. It states "If you are a programmer and familiar with JSON data format, and would like to integrate your application directly with the API, email support@AmbientWeather.com"
                              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                              X