Guest access for lighting control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best approach to allow guests and family to control HS3 lights. I have a few lights that are controlled by HS3 and do not have manual switches. Everyone has a smart phone. Local control via smart phone would be acceptable, but using a web browser and HS3 directly is way too difficult! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    What is the best approach to allow guests and family to control HS3 lights. I have a few lights that are controlled by HS3 and do not have manual switches. Everyone has a smart phone. Local control via smart phone would be acceptable, but using a web browser and HS3 directly is way too difficult! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Q

Aeotec MiniMotes are the answer around here. We have some lights controlled by plug-in dimmer modules, Z-Wave duplex outlets, Hyperion devices and Fibaro RGBW modules. In every room there is a MiniMote. We also use HomeSeer switches and dimmers with central scene functions to control other lights. I have tried to program the MiniMotes such that their behavior is similar from room to room even though the lights and functions they control are different. My 3 year old grandson figured out the one in the living room without any help. All I had to do was tell him that each button controlled a light. Once he figured the buttons out, I told him that pressing and holding a button (a tough test of a 3 year old's patience) turns them off. He learned them last year and remembers now how they work.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Randy, excellent suggestion. I've seen a few mentions of the minimote here on this board, but never really investigated it. The idea of having one in each room is great. However, my grandkids would move them all to different rooms. How do you keep them in the right room?

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Randy, excellent suggestion. I've seen a few mentions of the minimote here on this board, but never really investigated it. The idea of having one in each room is great. However, my grandkids would move them all to different rooms. How do you keep them in the right room?

Steve Q

I put labels on the back of each of them. They need to be charged (USB dongle) about every 2-3 months and the labels help me get them back to the correct room.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          I put labels on the back of each of them. They need to be charged (USB dongle) about every 2-3 months and the labels help me get them back to the correct room.
          My kids would just plain lose the Minimotes - never to be found again. Went with the HS dimmer/switches and multi-taps, which are working very well for us.
          cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

Will any USB charger work? Is it a standard USB, mini, or micro?

Comment

Why not just use an Amazon dot. I just tell my visitors the keyword for the light and they have fun with it!

It's so reliable that I put away my remote for controlling lights.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                My kids would just plain lose the Minimotes - never to be found again. Went with the HS dimmer/switches and multi-taps, which are working very well for us.

In wall switches are not an option. I already have Lutron and X10 switches where possible. My need is for the things that don't have switches. This is mostly accent lighting that comes on at dusk etc.

Steve Q

Comment

In wall switches are not an option. I already have Lutron and X10 switches where possible. My need is for the things that don't have switches. This is mostly accent lighting that comes on at dusk etc.

Steve Q

Understood if you already have other switch technologies. I do use the multi-tap on the HomeSeer switches to control devices without switches as well as the local load. Example: my daughters bed-side light. It's plugged into a z-wave outlet and scheduled to go off at a fixed time. Sometimes we want to give her another 20mins, so we can double tap the overhead light switch and it switches the bedside light on for 20mins.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Will any USB charger work? Is it a standard USB, mini, or micro?

The plug on the MiniMote is a mini USB. Each one comes with a 4-6" cable with a standard USB on one end and a mini at the other. We have duplex outlets in almost every room with a pair of USB charging ports which we use for tablets, iPhones, MiniMotes, Bluetooth headphones, etc. They will also charge from a computer of a USB wall wart.

Comment

Thanks, I ordered 2 minimotes and will try them.

Side note: This past 4th of July weekend, we had 14 family members for 4 days. An additional 4 iPhones, 3ipads, and 2 iTouch were also connected. This is the first time ever that HS3 continued working through the entire weekend with no problems. Yea!!!

Steve Q

Comment

I use HSTOUCH occasionally on my iPhone to turn off one of my x10 bedroom lights when it fails to turn off via HS3. Could my guests install HSTOUCH on their iPhones and use it locally (my network) to control lighting. Would I have to get additional licenses/usernames for this use?

I could customize HSTouch to allow only certain lights to be controlled. Anybody doing this?

Steve Q

Comment

Could build a quick simple site that is only accessible internally and only controls the "guest" lights. Good thing about this, you are putting them on the wifi anyways and they don't need to download the HSTouch client and have a solution pushed to them.

Just another thought...

Comment

Agree with Randy about the minimotes and labeling. Our guest bedrooms are, electrically speaking, plain Jane in that there are two bedside lamps, a ceiling fan light and a ceiling fan.

Buttons are as follows:

1 - bedside lamp closest to the door (on a HS-WD100 in the wall)
                            2 - bedside lamp furthest from the door (on a HS-PD100)
                            3 - ceiling fan light (on a HS-WD100 in the wall)
                            4 - ceiling fan (on a GE fan controller in the wall)

As one enters the room there are three switches, WD100 for Ceiling Fan light, GE fan controller for the ceiling fan and WD100 for wall plug (bedside lamp closest to the door)

Each bedroom has this same configuration so it is intuitive (hopefully).

Buttons 1-3 turn on/off lights with a simple press.

As for button 4, I use Spud's easy trigger to toggle the Ceiling Fan from off to 15% to 60% to full on then to off again.

And, we have a simple how-to in the nightstand drawer for the above and dish TV and to explain that the connected bathroom lights will turn on and off at various intensities at various times of the day and night, and not to worry about turning them off.

Inevitably we get a "cool" the following morning.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rvtravlr; July 10, 2017, 07:51 PM.
                            Michael

Comment

So I ordered and received 2 Minimotes. Nice product, but the labeling included was worthless! I found a more complete manual on the web. It took me quite awhile to figure out which mode to use. Once I determined that I needed to set it up as a secondary controller, it was really simple to add it to my network and to create a few events to allow it to control my lighting.

I really like the long press feature. This doubles (8 events) the number of events that can be run.

This is clearly a great way to add guest control to HS3. Thanks Randy for suggesting this. [emoji3]

Steve Q

Last edited by Steve Q; July 17, 2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X