Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a sound recognition device (not voice, sound)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a sound recognition device (not voice, sound)

The washer and dryer make specific buzzes when complete. Since they are the new "smart" ones the time it takes to complete a cycle can vary greatly. So I'd like the house to tell us when they are done.

Is there a device that can be programmed to listen for a tone (preferably two or more) and can be hacked to trip a DS10A?

I'm not aware of any off the shelf sound detector, except maybe for an alarm system glass break detector.

If you're a bit of a hacker, you can always open up the appliances and look for the buzzer wires and then you can jump in with a DS10A.
    (However, be warned that this has a very low WAF... )

I think you'd be better off checking for power consumption or vibration.

The problem with those, however, is that as the machines go through different cycles (especially the washer) they may appear inactive, so you would have to wait to make sure it's definitely finished.

Comment

I'm not sure hooking up a DS10A to the buzzer directly would a be good idea. I had my dryer opened up last night. The buzzer is 120v AC, and I tried using an AC relay, but that relay didn't even trigger with it as the buzzer didn't draw enough current. I'm going to give it another shot tonight, but there must be a better solution. Plus make sure you are really careful if you're opening a dryer, it's not DC low voltage you're working with back there, big sparks and melted wires to ensue if you do something wrong... (personal experience

I wish AC current detection was cheap and easy, with off the shelf sensors like the DS10A
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

For my drier detector I found the voltage that goes to the buzzer (I don't remember the detail of mine). I took a relay with the same voltage and if it is AC/DC, then I attached the NO dry contact output to a Powerflash Module.

It works great.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
          For my drier detector I found the voltage that goes to the buzzer (I don't remember the detail of mine). I took a relay with the same voltage and if it is AC/DC, then I attached the NO dry contact output to a Powerflash Module.

It works great.
          Where did you get that relay? Mine seems to be too heavy duty, also did you run in series or parallel with the buzzer?

seems like finding AC relays that fit the bill is a pain...
          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

You must be doing something wrong Zimmer. Are U sure the voltage to the buzzer is 120 volts ?

If it's powered at 120 Volts AC, it means that it is supplied directly from the line voltage and there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to operate a relay from that...

oh and do use a relay in parallel, not in series... !!

Joel

Comment

Uh, I think I just had it laying around.

Wire the COIL of the relay in PARALLEL with the buzzer.

If I needed a relay I would try Radio Shack for a local option, I would go to www.jameco.com for an online option.

~Bill

Comment

Look at your buzzer.
                It will probably either say what the operating voltage is or Google the part number online to get the specs.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                  If I needed a relay I would try Radio Shack
                  The rat shack did have an AC relay I tried a while back, and it was not really an AC relay, turned out it was mislabeled, and really only a 12volt DC relay.

Like I said the relay that I have that's for sure 120volts, it's huge like the size of a baseball. I had it hooked in series, and that was probably the problem. The buzzer still ran, but it didn't trip the relay.

The buzzer is for sure 120volts, it says so right on the side of it.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Ok then wiring in parallel will solve your problem ...

Have you tried the ELectronic Goldmine for 120 VAC relays ?

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co....asp?dept=1212

Comment

The relay I have is very big like a baseball... I'll order some smaller ones..

I just went to their online store, and it's not showing anything. I dug through a little bit and found this one
                      http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16440

Goldmine isn't happy with me, I bitched them out for not shipping a part (vibration sensor) that I ordered, and they don't stock anymore yet the website showed they had them in stock. I was pretty mad because that was the whole reason I ordered anything from them.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

It's one of two that they stock.

Funny... the link I gave works for me.

Anyway, another mail order source to look at is Jameco Electronics

www.jameco.com

something like this might do the job...

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=175572

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
                          It's one of two that they stock.

Funny... the link I gave works for me.

Anyway, another mail order source to look at is Jameco Electronics

www.jameco.com

something like this might do the job...

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=175572

Joel
                          What appears to be the same relay is available at Radio Shack. Here's the url. You can check and see if it's available at your local RatShack.
                          Dick
                          HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

well, my baseball sized relay works just fine now that I have it in parallel instead of series.

Maybe radio shack has some different ones now, I just know for a fact that they sold me what said was a 120volt AC relay and it would buzz when I applied current, and then it blew up... I opened the second one of the same kind to find that it worked really well at 12v DC. Maybe it was mispackaged.

I think I'll still order up a couple of those from jameco.

This kind of got off topic as it was originally for a sound sensor. I case anyone is actually looking for a sound sensor, I keep seeing pizzo elements used for drums etc. that might be something worth looking into.
                            Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Working...
                            X