HP Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Tablet

In case anyone is interested the HP Tablet; they are being dumped by HP. The current prices are $99 for the 16Gb and $149 for the 32Gb version.

Originally you could buy them on the HP site; but they have not been available now for a day or so. Walmart sold out yesterday locally. Today they are starting to trickle to other stores.

Note that they run HP Web OS. You can install the developer version of the Web OS on Linux. No talk of anything else right now; but it is a dual core 1.2Ghz CPU on them.

They are so new though; not too many folks purchased them at the original prices; let alone rooted them.

They are gone from the BB site this morning at 7:37 AM central time. That was really fast.
    Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2011, 07:37 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

HP Tablet

Picked up one yesterday. I saw that an android group is working to port a version of android to it. Graphics are great, could not pass it up. I got one of the last ones yesterday morning at the local Wal-Mart. Staples still had them yesterday and had not dropped the price yet.

Comment

Yeah I went to the local Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon and the salesperson said that there was a line in the morning to purchase them and their stock was gone in 5 minutes. Interesting how fast the BB stock sold out this morning. Think HP will be selling them again on Monday; not sure though. I was able to get one this morning on the BB site; when I went back 15 minutes later they were all gone.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I guess that was a really good deal.
        Don

Comment

No one has figured out the logic relating to HP pulling out of the PC market and quitting with the tablet WEB OS market. The initial HP tablet sale numbers even the promos were dismal.

They appear to be wanting to go back to their roots.

I am still not sure why HP purchased EDS; EDS was losing money before their purchase. I think though they will do better in the long run than IBM Global though.

It was interesting though who and what were purchasing companies before the "recession" went into full swing.

ARINC was supposed to have been bought by EDS; deal went south with private entity (check it out) purchasing them. Just the intention drove down the price of Arinc making it a good buy for the private investment company. Arinc "owns" a good percentage of ground to air communications throughout the world competing with one other entity only in that world.

EDS did OK by doing literally nothing and throwing bodies (contractors) at companies; charging a per body hourly rate; one of the largest companies in the world though relating to how many folks worked for them. (IE; something like over 6000 folks worked for EDS in Brazil).

IBM Global decided to consolidate before the "recession" to US based call centers; a mistake cuz they have lost tons of money with their ideology. Their numbers are still good though (must be the name recognition).

BTW recently McDonalds "deleted" their entire IT infrastructure; contracted an outside company very cheaply; following the thought processes of rebuilding their IT infrastructure and currently "floundering"; but doing it on the "cheap"; which in the long run was probably their goal. (downsize IT and rebuild it from scratch)
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have had the HP Touchpad 32GB mode since July 6. I absolutely love the HP touchpad and was devastated to hear they were dumping the hardware. I feel much better with my purchased after HP matched the current $149 price.

There are a few issues when viewing the HS status web page. HomeSeer’s status page has the form tags outside of the table data tags which causes the HP Touchpad browser to render an empty column. I reported the issue to both HP WebOs team and submitted a HomeSeer bug report.

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              No one has figured out the logic relating to HP pulling out of the PC market and quitting with the tablet WEB OS market.
              The logic is pretty simple. Unknown OS on an expensive tablet with no apps = no sales. What were they thinking going up against Android? The obviously weren't thinking.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If anyone is interested in this "steal", watch this thread for sites that have them in stock: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...2#edit41815736
                Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I believe there is room in the current new Tablet market for a new OS. Most folks today using a tablet at home are basically all doing the same thing with the tablet.

Most folks today do not utilize their tablets for home automation.

Homeseer really was in the beginning and started a bit of a revolution relating to being able to utilize the Ipad / Android for home automation; this done way before many companies were even thinking about it. (very much "avant garde")

I don't think other than the marketing hype that the average person cares what the OS is; as long as they can do whatever everyone else is doing with their tablets.

The Android OS was initially developed for cell phones and personally still looks like a cell phone OS to me. Its still not evolved or matured yet; its getting there now that its become a new OS for tablets. I am not knocking it; just stating the obvious. Personally I like the speed of HSTouch running on the Android.
                  Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2011, 07:32 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Most folks today do not utilize their tablets for home automation.
                    I totally agree but most that do buy tablets buy them based on there experience with their cell phone experiences. Thus the iPhone users buy the iPads and the Android users buy tables based on that OS. There simply isn't enough market share left for other OS's to compete and survive.

Comment

I guess its just me.

I've purchased various tablets since the mid 1990's and really never wanted something that resembled any of my cell phones. I always wanted more though than my cell phones offered. My first PDA / Internet mobile phone was based on the Palm OS. It was more of a PDA with a cell phone attachment to it. It was a bit smaller than the HP PDA MS CE based cell phone at the time.

I do see though that many folks today utilize their PDA cell phones all day long and its become a means to get to the internet for many and a "first" internet experience for quite a few new PDA phone users; a "big brother" to their cell phones; a tablet provides all of the internet most folks want to use.

My sister recently purchased an IPad and no longer utilizes her netbook at her house. The IPad does all that she needs or wants from the internet.

I don't really know if "most" users that buy tablets today purchase them based on their cell phone usage/OS.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So can these be used with HSTouch?

Comment

An HP Touchpad client does not exit for WebOS.

Comment

Originally posted by mhog View Post
                            So can these be used with HSTouch?
                            No.

You know... templting as this is, this is really a pretty bad deal (even at $99) unless you just want to browse the web with it and don't care about OS support (none) or app development (none).

Comment

For those willing to play; Android has been ported over to it.

I am playing with Android on the Joggler with the Atom 1.2Ghz CPU; its pretty fast. I will post a youtube video in the next day or so. I can't get it to run my flash stuff though. I can get flash working in the Ubuntu 11.04 OS on the Joggler and RDP works faster than on the Chumby. XP VM works but slow.

I saw a video this morning of the HP tablet running Ubuntu 11.04. Its also fast. With Ubuntu on it you can run either the Linux version (adding Mono) of HSTouch or RDP (which I am doing with the Chumby's).

So for $99 or $149 you are paying for about $300 in hardware raw costs and a great deal for those who want to play with the OS / redo OS. HP appears to be holding on to the licensing for WebOS maybe. It looks like some deal though was struck with Microsoft on the WebOS development "team". WebOS roots are in the old Palm OS; which was the first to compete with CE around the CE1.0/2.0 days.

Most likely though the IPad "killer" will be MS; not Android (although they are trying really hard). Its just a matter of time.

Apple is patent sue happy lately; but actually many of the features of the IPad came from developed MS Mobile applications years before the Iphone; even though they are saying they were first.
                              Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2011, 08:51 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X