Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing Homeseer through bridge (internal network)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing Homeseer through bridge (internal network)

I have a linksys router. Homeseer is sitting on a Win7 PC at 192.168.1.55

If I connect to the router (wireless or wired) with any computer on my home network, I can type in a browser that ip address and get to the homeseer start page without issue.

However, I also have a WUMC170 wireless bridge. Any computer attached to the bridge works on the internet great. However, most of the time (but has on occasion) it will not connect to Homeseer (again by typing 192.168.1.55).

If I take that same computer and move it to the router (bypassing the bridge), everything works great.

I assume the bridge is not passing certain ports or protocols. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by michaeldr View Post
    I have a linksys router. Homeseer is sitting on a Win7 PC at 192.168.1.55

If I connect to the router (wireless or wired) with any computer on my home network, I can type in a browser that ip address and get to the homeseer start page without issue.

However, I also have a WUMC170 wireless bridge. Any computer attached to the bridge works on the internet great. However, most of the time (but has on occasion) it will not connect to Homeseer (again by typing 192.168.1.55).

If I take that same computer and move it to the router (bypassing the bridge), everything works great.

I assume the bridge is not passing certain ports or protocols. Anyone have any ideas?
    Is the WUMC170 a wireless access point (no routing) or a wireless router? If the latter, turn off DHCP on the wireless router and hook up the router to your bridge, not by it's WAN interface but the LAN interface. As such it all stays in the same L2 network and L3 subnet. No port translation issues, broadcast domain is your complete network ...

Dirk

Comment

Are you talking Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector? This device should pass all traffic your router will allows

Comment

Yes, and yes it should. But it isn't. I though maybe it was having an issue with a port.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
          Is the WUMC170 a wireless access point (no routing) or a wireless router? If the latter, turn off DHCP on the wireless router and hook up the router to your bridge, not by it's WAN interface but the LAN interface. As such it all stays in the same L2 network and L3 subnet. No port translation issues, broadcast domain is your complete network ...

Dirk
          It is just an access point. So it shouldn't be hanging any of it up.

Comment

Originally posted by michaeldr View Post
            It is just an access point. So it shouldn't be hanging any of it up.
            I agree, couldn't find what type of device it was.

One more item I can think of is MAC learning and MAC spoofing. Does it happen when you move the device from wireless to wired or from one port to another? Switches learn MAC addresses and forward your traffic to a port it has learned your MAC address on. When a device moves between ports you could briefly experience some issues.

Just thinking outside the box

Dirk

Comment

I will try and dig into the DHCP table and see if maybe the Mac address are messed up. I will probably try rebooting everything this weekend. Just never know what won't come back up right.

Comment

One other thing I noticed. In the Homeseer log it does see the user (from behind the bridge) successfully logged in. Just nothing ever makes it back to that computer.

Comment

Personally to save you a bit of grief I would reset / cold button the Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector. Then do whatever configuration you need to do on it and try again.

From the manual:

Reset (on bottom) There are two ways to reset the media connector’s factory defaults. Either press and
                  hold the Reset button for approximately five seconds, or restore the defaults from Administration > Factory
                  Defaults in the media connector’s browser-basedutility. The Reset button is located on the bottom.
                  There isn't much to the manual guide:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloa...B_EN_Web,0.pdf

Other than MAC filtering, Wireless configuration and whether it is using DHCP or a static address; there isn't much more. It should work just fine. I think that the bridging piece is the wireless devices needing a gateway. Thinking the ports are just direct connects to whatever.

You can try to ping the Homeseer box via the Linksys to see if it is getting there. Make sure too that all of your devices have the same subnet mask and gateway and DNS. I would also suggest configuring the box with a static IP verus a DHCP setup.

Here I was testing a new table tablet with wireless and HSTouch. I noticed it kept dropping and reconnecting. Checking the interface I noticed that power saving was enabled on the wireless interface. I disabled the power saving and all is well again.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I will dig into it a little further this weekend. I am also waiting on Level 2 tech support from Lynksys.

Does anyone know what ports homeseer would use. As it is sending everything by http I would suspect 80.

Comment

Port 80 is the default. You can change it in the setup > web server > server port.
                      Don

Comment

To me it sounds like return route.

If your wireless acces point is on another network, do your 192.168.1.x network know where to send the return traffic?

If there are no route, the answer will go to the internet (default gate.)

As said before the easy way to set it up is to make sure everything are on the same net.

Regards
                        Morten

Comment

Working...
                        X