No announcement yet.

HELP: IFTTT Feature Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we've made some progress, but the original problem remains: We can't get a voice command from IFTTT to Homeseer and trigger an event based on that voice command.

1. We can't do it with the MyHS service.
    2. We can't do it with the Maker service through MyHS (HS requires command confirmation).
    3. We can't do it with a workaround using a setdeviceproperty json request.

Sure would be nice if we could.

Comment

So you can make a json call to be with the recognized text? There is a json command that accepts a voice command phrase, would that work?

Originally posted by baudi View Post
      So we've made some progress, but the original problem remains: We can't get a voice command from IFTTT to Homeseer and trigger an event based on that voice command.

1. We can't do it with the MyHS service.
      2. We can't do it with the Maker service through MyHS (HS requires command confirmation).
      3. We can't do it with a workaround using a setdeviceproperty json request.

Sure would be nice if we could.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rich,

I've already tried the json voicecommand, as I mentioned in a previous post.

I set up an IFTTT Google Home => Maker applet, with the following Maker URL
        Code:
        https://connected2.homeseer.com/JSON?user=MYEMAIL&pass=MYPASSWORD&request=voicecommand&phrase={{TextField}}
        When it triggers, I can see in the HS log that it is asking for a voice command confirmation. This is in spite of the fact that I have confirmations turned off. And it doesn't ask me for confirmation when I issue a voice command locally. Since it never receives confirmation, it doesn't execute the command.

Comment

The confirmation is totally based on the settings. You said you checked the device properties for the device you are trying to control, check in Setup, there is a global setting for the confirmation.

I tried it here using MyHS and it did not confirm, so I believe it should be working. It did turn off the tree lights.

This is the command I tried (looks the same as yours):

Code:
          https://connected2.homeseer.com/json?request=voicecommand&phrase=turn%20off%20the%20christmas%20tree&user=USER&pass=PASS

Rich,

I've already tried the json voicecommand, as I mentioned in a previous post.

I set up an IFTTT Google Home => Maker applet, with the following Maker URL
          Code:
          https://connected2.homeseer.com/JSON?user=MYEMAIL&pass=MYPASSWORD&request=voicecommand&phrase={{TextField}}
          When it triggers, I can see in the HS log that it is asking for a voice command confirmation. This is in spite of the fact that I have confirmations turned off. And it doesn't ask me for confirmation when I issue a voice command locally. Since it never receives confirmation, it doesn't execute the command.

Comment

Rich,

Here are my voice settings. Are you talking about a different setting than what's on this page?
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh, I just realized that you issued that web request from your browser. Yes, that works. What does not work is to put it in an IFTTT Maker URL. That's when HS demands a confirmation: for voice commands issued by Maker.

So, voice commands from IFTTT don't work.

Comment

I figured it out. I had a space in the Maker URL between "phrase=" and the comand. Sheesh. It works after I remove that space. Sorry!

So it is possible to get a voice command from IFTTT to HS, but you have to put your user/password in the Maker URL. If you modify the IFTTT MyHS service to accept a voice command, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Tom,

I said in an earlier post that it wasn't possible to use the Home devices as speakers. That's not true. You can cast a stream to a Home device. I'm still investigating, but a program called castnow appears to be the key.

I'd like to start a new thread discussing how this works with IFTTT, Google Home, Chromecast, and so on, but I'm not sure where that thread belongs. Any suggestions?

Comment

In my opinion, this forum (IFTTT) would be as good a place as any.

Yeah that castnow looks like a good find. I was really hoping that that Home would add a notification action to IFTTT, but we don't know if or when that might happen.

One problem that casting is likely going to introduce is messing up streaming. For instance, if you happen to be listening to music, I think that casting a message is going to stop that and cast the new message. What you really would want to happen is that it interjects that message, but would continue on with whatever was previously playing.

Also interested to see what direction action API might bring. Right now it seem that API is only by invitation. I hope that, at least, HST got access to this.
                    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                    Web Site
                    YouTube Channel

Comment

OK, I started a new thread.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...86#post1280486

Comment

Note that you can also add the user/pass the headers, so they do not have to be in the URL (basic authentication headers).

I figured it out. I had a space in the Maker URL between "phrase=" and the comand. Sheesh. It works after I remove that space. Sorry!

So it is possible to get a voice command from IFTTT to HS, but you have to put your user/password in the Maker URL. If you modify the IFTTT MyHS service to accept a voice command, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Are you talking about something like this?

Code:
                          http://user:pass@connected2.homeseer.com....
                          If so, that still exposes your username and password to whoever has access to the IFTTT Maker service (like the IFTTT administrators/developers).

Comment

I don't know what you are using to send the URL, but if you were using .NET you could set the headers with the user/pass then call the URL. If all you can do is enter a URL, you will have to add user/pass with the parameters.

Are you talking about something like this?

Code:
                            http://user:pass@connected2.homeseer.com....
                            If so, that still exposes your username and password to whoever has access to the IFTTT Maker service (like the IFTTT administrators/developers).

Comment

I'm using the IFTTT Maker service. Everything you want to send is entered into the Maker URL. So there is no way to hide the user/password. Which is the problem with using Maker. Which is why we would like to have the IFTTT MyHS service allow voice commands.

Comment

Rich,

Any luck yet getting the voice command action on IFTTT?

-Tom
                                - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                                Web Site
                                YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X