Homeseer Zee Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer Zee Backup

Can I make an *.img file from the homeseer Zee SD card as a backup?

Absolutely, and you should.

Make sure you do a graceful shutdown from the HS menu, then safely power it down and image it.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks

Thanks! just want to make sure I was not voiding any warranties or breaking the EULA by opening the case.

Comment

Whenever I do any kind of update to my HSZee (events/etc.), that is what I do. open the case, pop the SDCARD into a PC and image it.

I know someone posted a way to do this through event and DD...but I did not have a server setup to properly accept the DD data...so I still do this manually and this still sits on my todo list (the DD backup).

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

In Windows what is popular is Win32 disk imager. Here utilize a USB to SD card reader for this.

When you utilize Win32 to write the image back to the SD card the SD card needs to be the same size or larger.

In Linux via command line it is (also using a USB to SD card reader).

Note that you cannot back up the SD card running the OS. You are not supposed to but....

You could give it a try and see if it works live doing the following over to a USB stick or if you have lots of free space on the SD card.

root@raspberrypi gzip -c /dev/mmcblk0 > img.gz

Then write the image back to another SD card and see if it boots...

Personally have only done this backing up a boot rom bios on my touchscreen tablets.

dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image bs=1M
          Where /dev/sdx is your SD card

To make the image smaller you can utilize compression with DD

dd if=/dev/sdx | gzip > /path/to/image.gz

Writing the image back to the SD card the SD card has to be same size or larger.

You can adjust the OS image partition size on the SD card using GParted in Linux.

To restore the backup, you reverse the commands:

dd if=/path/to/image of=/dev/sdx

or when compressed:

gzip -dc /path/to/image.gz | dd of=/dev/sdx
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Some time ago I posted about this - see https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

rpi-clone is a shell script that will back up a running Raspberry Pi file system to a destination SD card plugged into a Pi USB port. I have one of these for each of my rpi's. The resulting SD card is 100% identical to the source.

A nice feature is that a larger source disk can be copied to a smaller destination, as long as the used data will fit. Another nice feature is that only changed data is written to the disk, so subsequent runs are very fast.

I've made a couple additions to the posted version which allow it to be used as an automatic backup solution. Included in the attachment is the modified rpi-clone script and an example cron script that performs a daily (or weekly) backup when installed in the /etc/cron.daily (or /etc/cron.weekly) directory.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by zwolfpack; March 13, 2017, 11:40 AM. Reason: posted 'r1' for improved cron status output

Comment

zwolfpack,

Thanks for all that information. I just ordered the exact thing you linked to. Would be nice to get a better backup working - than my taking it apart and imaging it. Something a bit more automated and not so...possibly destructive.

--Dan

P.S. destructive is defined as, I'm taking the Zee apart for disc imaging, and this is the only time the Dog wants to play and ends up running around the house like a nut - without care for the location of her tail...which invariably ends up hitting the table I am working on, which ends up knocking stuff around, which for 100% certainty is the only time the SDCARD will bounce in JUST the right way that it falls on the floor in JUST the right spot the dog or a child will end up running over it. -- not that this has ever happened...never...ever...really...
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

@Dan - those little SD buggers are very good at hiding in plain sight!

I recently bought a 3-pack off eBay - $22 for 8G Class 10
                Last edited by rmasonjr; March 2, 2017, 01:22 PM. Reason: specs
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Great find there ZWolfpack relating to the the RPi-Clone script!

Yes here with the very first Zee changed the included 4 Gb SD to an 8 Gb SD.

Thinking I still have that one around. Then from the 8 Gb SD went to a 16Gb SD.

With the Zee-2 I have had one mini SD card pop out to somewhere in the office.

i did find it after about 30 minutes of looking at the carpeting.

Now that the Zee-2 is in the attic never touch it anymore.

The old Zee-2 / RPi2 / Jessie lite machine does have another SD card taped to it with an image of the device which shouldn't be different except for updates to the device.

I did make it a remote Z-Net like device and moved the HS3 Lite machines to the basement server rack area.

The Pine64 2Gb machine is running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on a 16Gb mini sd card and the Xi5a machine is running same OS with 2Gb of Ram on a 32 Gb SSD drive.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i apoligize in advance for confusion
                    but i have a hometroller ZEE. I want to do a backup. I read about the SD card, but mine has a usb stick in it, in one of the usb ports.
                    i opened the hometroller zee, and i don't see an SD card.
                    am I missing something?
                    in a PRIOR unit i had, there was a SD SLOT, but this unit only has the usb stick in it,and the base hometroller ZEE box.
                    any feedback to open my eyes is appreciated.
                    thanks

Comment

My SD slot was covered and I removed the cover to see it. The USB stick is most likely the Z-Wave device.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

so it's just that i'm old, with trifocals, and did not see it?
                        i will re-open it, see if one is in there

Comment

Originally posted by aoz View Post
                          so it's just that i'm old, with trifocals, and did not see it?
                          i will re-open it, see if one is in there
                          It is on the bottom of the PC board on the opposite end from the USB and Ethernet ports. It is a micro SD card. The last two pictures in this post show where it is.

https://board.homeseer.com/showpost....76&postcount=9
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Just be careful when you remove the microSD card. Here the first time I did it the SD card shot out in front of my home office desk and on the carpeting. Took me twenty minutes to find it.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So, it is now a month since I said I ordered the part and what-not. The adapter DID arrive with all it's amazing plasticy goodness. Last night, I went to plug it in and setup the backup (per the instructions listed above).

I already complained about losing uSD cards...how in the HECK did I go off and lose the adapter WITH THE uSD in it?!

looks like I'm still in the backup when you think about it by unscrewing the case camp. *sigh*

They must be off with my glasses (lost a pair of the nice titanium bendy kind a while ago).

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X