Have I got a broken z-Net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I got a broken z-Net

I had problems with an old z-net controller (bought from HS about 4/5 years ago). I then bought a new one from a UK company but I'm having issues.

Often, when I reboot the HS3 PC, the z-Net doesn't connect and shows an error in the log and the Controller shows an orange warning. I need to hard boot the z-Net, then restart HS3 to get it to connect.

Is this a known issue or do I have a problem unit?

Also

My original z-Net had intermittent Ethernet connection problems. I have a spare RPi - can I just swap the Pi?

Cheers
    Scott

Is this a known issue or do I have a problem unit?

Relating to network transport I have only seen issues raised relating to DHCP and whatever firewall / router is being utilized and a sometimes wireless disconnects. It is advised not to utilize wireless and doing DHCP reservation.

My original z-Net had intermittent Ethernet connection problems. I have a spare RPi - can I just swap the Pi?

To date I have not read of any hardware issues with any generation of RPi.

There have been issues using the microSD / SD cards relating to constant RW's and filling them up. Newer generation of microSD cards are better than older generations.

The ZNet RPi has a ZWave GPIO card in it. Installing a new GPIO card in a new RPi and using the ZNet image would work.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Cheers Pete.

There was definitely a NIC problem with the original one - it would take several cold reboots before the NIC LEDs would fire up.

The new Z-Net still has the problem and only a cold boot seems to resolve it. I have written an event to monitor the log for an error then reboot the z-net (using an ethernet switch) and reboot the PC.

I just need to know if anyone else id having similar problems, or if I have a problem with this unit.

Cheers
      Scott

Comment

Has anyone seen this before?

Comment

There was a long thread on this issue awhile ago. By version 1.0.21, things were ironed out - but then in znetv2 rev 1.0.23 they added some unrelated features and dropped out the fixes from this investigation.

Attached is a package with a couple of bash scripts.
          1) znet_info.sh collects and displays the status the affected parameters. Run it via
          Code:
          make info
          2) znet_patch.sh will add the patches from the thread as needed.
          If run as a normal user, it only prints out the commands (doesn't change anything). To run this way,
          Code:
          make install
          If run as superuser, it will actually install the changes. To run this way,
          Code:
          sudo make install

sudo ./znet_patch.sh

Before running the patch script for real, I'd recommend running both scripts and posting the output for me to look over.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by zwolfpack; January 9, 2019, 12:50 AM. Reason: r2 update: minor improvements; add make commands for easier operation

Comment

Cheers zWolfpack. My zNet is Z-NET V2 Configuration - Version 1.0.23

Is there instructions in the other thread on how to log into the zNet and run the bash scripts. Presumably, I will need SSH password etc..

Any help appreciated - I'm fine with scripts and Windows but my Linux is poor!

Cheers
            Scott

Comment

Are you familiar with PuTTY? That is the easiest way to SSH in from a PC. http://www.putty.org/

To login, try pi@<znet ip addr> with password raspberry

Once logged in, download the zipfile to the raspi using WinSCP.

Then at the command line, unzip to a folder named znetcare:
              Code:
              unzip znetcare.zip -d znetcare
              change to the folder and run the first script:
              Code:
              cd znetcare
              make info
              Then preview the patch commands:
              Code:
              make install
              If all looks good, install the patch
              Code:
              sudo make install
              Last edited by zwolfpack; January 9, 2019, 12:59 AM. Reason: Update instructions

Comment

Here is how a session looks on one of my HS stock Z-Net v1.0.23 v2

login as: pi
                pi@192.168.2.11's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
                the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
                individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
                permitted by applicable law.
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~ $ wget 'https://forums.homeseer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65708&d=1515395174' -O znetcare.zip
                --2018-01-08 15:10:43-- https://forums.homeseer.com/attachme...8&d=1515395174
                Resolving forums.homeseer.com (forums.homeseer.com)... 45.32.202.7
                Connecting to forums.homeseer.com (forums.homeseer.com)|45.32.202.7|:443... connected.
                HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                Length: 4369 (4.3K) [application/zip]
                Saving to: ‘znetcare.zip’

znetcare.zip 100%[=====================>] 4.27K --.-KB/s in 0s

2018-01-08 15:10:43 (10.7 MB/s) - ‘znetcare.zip’ saved [4369/4369]

pi@Z-Net-Primary:~ $ unzip znetcare.zip -d znetcare
                Archive: znetcare.zip
                inflating: znetcare/Makefile
                inflating: znetcare/znet_info.sh
                inflating: znetcare/znet_patch.sh
                inflating: znetcare/zled
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~ $ cd znetcare
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~/znetcare $ ./znet_info.sh

Z-Net version 2 revision 1.0.23

ser2net port 2001 timeout (seconds): 60 - (per rev. 1.0.20/1.0.22) - ok in most cases, but 120 better
                Your installed ser2net contains the patch added in rev. 1.0.21/1.0.22.
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~/znetcare $ ./znet_patch.sh
                Note: superuser (root) priviledge required to install this patch -
                Note: displaying commands that would be run by superuser.
                Note: backing up existing /etc/ser2net.conf...
                install -p /etc/ser2net.conf /etc/ser2net.conf-orig
                Note: installing patched /etc/ser2net.conf...
                install -p -t /etc ser2net.conf
                rm -f ser2net.conf
                Note: patched ser2net binary is already installed - no action.
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~/znetcare $ login as: pi
                login: Cannot possibly work without effective root
                pi@Z-Net-Primary:~/znetcare $ pi@192.168.2.11's password:
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Cheers chaps - I'll try that at the weekend & post the results of the non sudo run.

Thanks again for your help - why doesn't HomeSeer patch the device?

Scott

Comment

Hi Randy, thanks for testing the scripts. I'm curious about the output of the first one, as its supposed to also display some zwave controller info.

Here a run from my production unit, which has the EZZee GPIO card provided by HomeSeer:
                    Z-Net version 2 revision X.Y.Z

Internal (GPIO) serial device detected - it's an EZZee.

ser2net port 2001 timeout (seconds): 120 - recommended value
                    Your have a custom ser2net installed: /usr/sbin/ser2net version 3.5-zwave

Here is a run from my test unit which has a Razberry GPIO card and a ZWave.me UZB device (running Raspbian stretch hence the "version 3"):
                    Z-Net version 3 revision X.Y.Z

Internal (GPIO) serial device detected - it's not an EZZee.
                    External (UZB) device detected.

ser2net port 2001 timeout (seconds): 60 - (per rev. 1.0.20/1.0.22) - ok in most cases, but 120 better

pi@Z-Not3:~/znetcare $

Wondering what type of ZWave controller you are running in this unit?

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                      Hi Randy, thanks for testing the scripts. I'm curious about the output of the first one, as its supposed to also display some zwave controller info.

Here a run from my production unit, which has the EZZee GPIO card provided by HomeSeer:
                      Z-Net version 2 revision X.Y.Z

ser2net port 2001 timeout (seconds): 120 - recommended value

Here is a run from my test unit which has a Razberry GPIO card and a ZWave.me UZB device (running Raspbian stretch hence the "version 3"):
                      Z-Net version 3 revision X.Y.Z

Internal (GPIO) serial device detected - it's not an EZZee.
                      External (UZB) device detected.

pi@Z-Not3:~/znetcare $

Wondering what type of ZWave controller you are running in this unit?
                      It is a recent V2 Z-Net. I received it late last year. It is running 1.0.23. I’m not sure, but I think it had 1.0.23 on it when I received it. It has a rev E GPIO card and a Pi 3 board. I picked this controller because I knew it was untouched by the mods we were installing when there were problems. I have 2 others, if you want me to try an older one.

Comment

That's good - appears then that the current image contains the fixes.

I'd be interested in a run of the znet_info.sh script on another unit, or this one again. The part I'm curious about has nothing to do with the patches - its querying some of the GPIO pins to determine if a GPIO board is present.

If you don't see a line something like this:

please post output of this command:
                        gpio readall

Also verify that the gpio command is in the standard location:
                        which gpio

expected output is
                        /usr/bin/gpio

Thanks!

Comment

Here is from my Garage Z-Net, I think it is the oldest. I think this one went throgh the patching from your suggestions as well as the 1.0.23 update from HomeSeer

pi@192.168.2.13's password:

pi@Z-Net-Garage:~ $ wget 'https://forums.homeseer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65708&d=1515395174' -O znetcare.zip
                          --2018-01-10 13:07:09-- https://forums.homeseer.com/attachme...8&d=1515395174

Sorry about the formatting on gpio readall.

It looks like the which gpio output path is different.

Comment

Here is my third one. Just like the garage, I think it started before 1.0.17, had your patches, then was updated to 1.0.23. All three are Raspberry Pi 3s.

pi@192.168.2.12's password:

pi@Z-Net-Shed:~ $ wget 'https://forums.homeseer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65708&d=1515395174' -O znetcare.zip
                            --2018-01-10 13:16:02-- https://forums.homeseer.com/attachme...8&d=1515395174
                            Resolving forums.homeseer.com (forums.homeseer.com)... 45.32.202.7
                            Connecting to forums.homeseer.com (forums.homeseer.com)|45.32.202.7|:443... connected.
                            HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                            Length: 4369 (4.3K) [application/zip]
                            Saving to: ‘znetcare.zip’

znetcare.zip 100%[=====================>] 4.27K --.-KB/s in 0s

2018-01-10 13:16:02 (10.4 MB/s) - ‘znetcare.zip’ saved [4369/4369]

pi@Z-Net-Shed:~ $ unzip znetcare.zip -d znetcare
                            Archive: znetcare.zip
                            inflating: znetcare/Makefile
                            inflating: znetcare/znet_info.sh
                            inflating: znetcare/znet_patch.sh
                            inflating: znetcare/zled
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~ $ cd znetcare
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~/znetcare $ ./znet_info.sh

Z-Net version 2 revision 1.0.23

ser2net port 2001 timeout (seconds): 0 - (per rev. 1.0.18 and prior, and 1.0.23) - not recommended (timeout disabled)
                            Your installed ser2net is pre-1.0.21 and does not have the patch added in rev. 1.0.21/1.0.22.
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~/znetcare $ ./znet_patch.sh
                            Note: superuser (root) priviledge required to install this patch -
                            Note: displaying commands that would be run by superuser.
                            Note: backing up existing /etc/ser2net.conf...
                            install -p /etc/ser2net.conf /etc/ser2net.conf-orig
                            Note: installing patched /etc/ser2net.conf...
                            install -p -t /etc ser2net.conf
                            rm -f ser2net.conf
                            Note: patched ser2net binary is not installed.
                            Note: patched ser2net binary was previously downloaded.
                            ./znet_patch.sh: line 138: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
                            ./znet_patch.sh: line 138: ` else'
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~/znetcare $ gpio readall
                            +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3---+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
                            | BCM | wPi | Name | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name | wPi | BCM |
                            +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
                            | | | 3.3v | | | 1 || 2 | | | 5v | | |
                            | 2 | 8 | SDA.1 | OUT | 1 | 3 || 4 | | | 5V | | |
                            | 3 | 9 | SCL.1 | OUT | 0 | 5 || 6 | | | 0v | | |
                            | 4 | 7 | GPIO. 7 | OUT | 1 | 7 || 8 | 1 | ALT0 | TxD | 15 | 14 |
                            | | | 0v | | | 9 || 10 | 1 | ALT0 | RxD | 16 | 15 |
                            | 17 | 0 | GPIO. 0 | IN | 0 | 11 || 12 | 1 | IN | GPIO. 1 | 1 | 18 |
                            | 27 | 2 | GPIO. 2 | IN | 0 | 13 || 14 | | | 0v | | |
                            | 22 | 3 | GPIO. 3 | IN | 0 | 15 || 16 | 0 | IN | GPIO. 4 | 4 | 23 |
                            | | | 3.3v | | | 17 || 18 | 0 | IN | GPIO. 5 | 5 | 24 |
                            | 10 | 12 | MOSI | IN | 0 | 19 || 20 | | | 0v | | |
                            | 9 | 13 | MISO | IN | 0 | 21 || 22 | 0 | IN | GPIO. 6 | 6 | 25 |
                            | 11 | 14 | SCLK | IN | 0 | 23 || 24 | 1 | IN | CE0 | 10 | 8 |
                            | | | 0v | | | 25 || 26 | 1 | IN | CE1 | 11 | 7 |
                            | 0 | 30 | SDA.0 | IN | 1 | 27 || 28 | 1 | IN | SCL.0 | 31 | 1 |
                            | 5 | 21 | GPIO.21 | IN | 1 | 29 || 30 | | | 0v | | |
                            | 6 | 22 | GPIO.22 | IN | 1 | 31 || 32 | 0 | IN | GPIO.26 | 26 | 12 |
                            | 13 | 23 | GPIO.23 | IN | 0 | 33 || 34 | | | 0v | | |
                            | 19 | 24 | GPIO.24 | IN | 0 | 35 || 36 | 0 | IN | GPIO.27 | 27 | 16 |
                            | 26 | 25 | GPIO.25 | IN | 0 | 37 || 38 | 0 | IN | GPIO.28 | 28 | 20 |
                            | | | 0v | | | 39 || 40 | 0 | IN | GPIO.29 | 29 | 21 |
                            +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
                            | BCM | wPi | Name | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name | wPi | BCM |
                            +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3---+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~/znetcare $ which gpio
                            /usr/local/bin/gpio
                            pi@Z-Net-Shed:~/znetcare $

It looks like I need to burn a fresh SD card for this one. It makes me wonder if I might have burned a fresh one for the Garage and this one is an older one.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              It looks like the which gpio output path is different.
                              Thanks, that's it - gpio is in /usr/local/bin rather than /usr/bin. I'll update that.

Yeah, looks like your shed one doesn't have the fixes.

Comment

Working...
                              X