Smart event control for sleeping in and early morning sneaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart event control for sleeping in and early morning sneaking

Has anyone developed a way of automatically deferring events or event groups based on the system knowing one or more inhabitants are still asleep? Maybe based on input from a sleep sensor like Fitbit, Withings Aura, Beddit, etc?

Is there a best practice for an event "snooze button" that I hit on demand to defer events? I like my door open announcements over Sonos, except when I am up and the family is still sleeping.

I've seen people do this with stress or weight sensors in or under the bed in other forums.

Comment

I have a virtual device called SleepyTime that is used to disable TTS events from waking everyone up. Right now, it is ON at 10p and OFF at 6a M-F. You could easily use Alexa to toggle it on/off as-needed.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have a pressure sensitive mat under my futon that tells HS if I'm in bed or not. All kinds of things are tied in to this: announcements, door locks, on and on.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          I have a pressure sensitive mat under my futon that tells HS if I'm in bed or not. All kinds of things are tied in to this: announcements, door locks, on and on.

@S-F would you mind sharing a link to the pressure sensitive mat? I have been looking for one that I know will be HS3 compatible. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by mda View Post
              @S-F would you mind sharing a link to the pressure sensitive mat? I have been looking for one that I know will be HS3 compatible. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Sofa-Scram-So...s=pet+scat+mat

I tore all the battery and siren stuff off and connected it to a debounce circuit and connected that to my DSC panel. You could connect it to a Z-Wave door sensor. I tried that at first, but those things suck so I ran a wire from my panel. It's basically flawless. HS always knows when I'm in bed.

Here's the thread that discusses building the circuit: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=139091 I haven't had to replace the battery in almost 6 years now. Alternately I believe you can buy debounce circuits.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Another alternative (which I'm playing with now) is to use a thermal camera like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/353...gaAt-uEALw_wcB attached to a small micro-controller (or a full-up computer like a RPi Zero W, which is what I'm trying).

The "camera" (it's hard to call it that with a straight face) provides an 8x8 matrix of temperatures with a fairly narrow (like 70-deg) wide sensing cone. Adafruit has a Python library for the Raspberry Pi which returns either the current temperature matrix and the current ambient temperature (so you can calculate deltas from ambient).

In cases where pressure sensor won't work, this could be a useful alternative.

The narrow FOV, btw, makes it not-ideal as a generic occupancy sensor for a room -- that was what I originally bought it to experiment with. Pairing a standard PIR sensor with one of these little thermal cams produces a very good solution for a small area occupancy sensing situation -- the PIR detects gross motion and the thermal camera detects warm bodies that are present, but still. The range on the thermal cam isn't terrific, though, so you need a pretty small target to get good results. Pointing at a bed, even from across the room, should allow you to determine if the bed is occupied with humans or not.

-M.

Comment

Working...
                  X