Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 CPU too high

Hi All,

My CPU usage normally ticks along at about 1.5% but lately it jumps up to around 70% and I've no idea why

I have tried disabling PI but don't know if thats the problem in the first place.

Would it be certain events that are causing the problem?

Help appreciated.

Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I've seen issues like this caused by plugins and by scripts. I would disable all plugins and events that run scripts and then restart HS. After restarting, initialize each plugin one by one starting with the essential ones and leaving an hour or two between each one. For events with scripts, manually run them and observe cpu usage while they are running. Do you see the cpu usage that high soon after restarting hs or does it take a while to build up? I have one script that call some external APIs and is very resource intensive so I reduced the frequency it runs and made some changes in the script to reduce how long it runs.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

What version of HS3 are you running?
      Are you running the Z-Wave PI and if so what version?

The reason I ask is that I was running HS3 .130 and Z-Wave .175 for a few weeks without any issues.

Last weekend, in a fit of madness I decided to update the Z-Wave plug-in to .177 (the latest beta at the time) and then the problems started.

First problems I noticed were some lights (Fibaro dimmers) not responding to local or HS control and requiring power cycling to regain control. This has happened a few times over the last week and was limited to 3 dimmers located in different parts of the house.

At the time I put this down to failing modules and it wasn't until I took a look at the HS3 / Z-Wave PI resource usage that I started to think it was HS related. I'm not sure exactly what was happening but the Z-Wave PI was pegged at 75% CPU and it's UI was unresponsive. This state would also bring HS3 to a crawl where devices owned by other plug-ins would take an age to update and events were just not happening.

Strange thing is that shutting down HS3 from the main UI wouldn't kill the Z-Wave PI and task manager showed it still running at 75% CPU.

Forcing a machine re-boot would put things back to normal for a while but the system would get into this unresponsive state within 12 hours and my problem dimmers would return.

I've been back on Z-Wave .175 for 2 days now and everything is running just fine again.

One thing I have got into the habit of, is taking a complete HS3 folder copy before updating anything which makes going back so much easier.

Paul..

Comment

Yup; here testing ZeeLite and Homeseer 3 Pro on my RPi (overclocked to 900Mhz).

I am at Homeseer Pro V.125. Last night updated Z-Wave plugin to V.178. It caused me grief.

Looking at the logs it said something about updating the DB for the Aeon stick. Well that though messed up a few things and I couldn't initially talk to the Z-Wave stick in the browser. I couldn't shut it down either. I made the effort anyways, did a shut down via SSH and restarted and all was well.

Wondering if the Z-Wave Plugin V.178 has some V.177 stuff in it.

Its been a bit difficult here to discern whether its a plugin or Mono pulling down Homeseer 3 in Linux.

I am though probably making it worst by running Webmin and an RPi utility which graphs utilization et al.

I have been flip flopping on running the RPi (overclocked) ZeeLite or HS3 Pro.

If you are not using a console or monitor I would suggest shifting the memory off of the GPU some and maybe overclocking the RPi a bit. (note that you can burn up your RPi if you are not careful).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks guys,

I am running HS3 standard .96 & Z wave .179.

Do you suggest dropping down to .177 on z wave?

sparkman, I have tried that , I only have two scripts running, stopping them doesn't make any difference . One is a weather one that I have been using for ages and the other one is the new find my phone PI .

It seems to run for age at high CPU then drops down for an hour or so then back up ....
          Steve

Comment

I would try a newer version of HS3. I've been running on .132 for a while with no real issues. Is the z-wave plugin taking a lot of cpu cycles as well? If not, I would leave it where it's at.

Cheers
            Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              I would try a newer version of HS3. I've been running on .132 for a while with no real issues. Is the z-wave plugin taking a lot of cpu cycles as well? If not, I would leave it where it's at.

Cheers

Al

Thanks, where do I find latest version if HS 3, I was under the impression it would appear in the updater????

Steve
              Steve

Comment

It's still officially a beta release and can be found in the beta section of the forum. I think the latest is this one: ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/updates/Beta/..._3_0_0_132.exe. Updates to the core app are never in the updater (although that would be great if they were).

Cheers
                Al

PS Don't forget to make a backup first

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

PS Don't forget to make a backup first

Safest way to copy the whole of HS3 folder, this will include everything right ?
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevieboy View Post
                    Safest way to copy the whole of HS3 folder, this will include everything right ?
                    Yes, but stop HS first and then copy over the directory (with all of its subdirectories).

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

1st posts by RSH in HS3 Beta Section

A link is usually in RJH's first post starting a thread about a new beta.
                      hS3/HS3Pro then Beta sub forum.
                      There are currently active links to .128, .130 & .132 there on first page.
                      All these have changes dealing only with HSPhone issues and JSON stuff since the .126 beta.

Beta .125 is back on Aug 6th thread.

Comment

Originally posted by clay2young View Post
                        All these have changes dealing only with HSPhone issues and JSON stuff since the .126 beta.
                        130 also included some fixes for INI file related issues... Sometimes the info related to other bug fixes is not posted on the forum, but can be found in bugzilla.

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

Thank guys

Updated to latest .132 and so far CPU has dropped to 1,84% let's see how that goes. On the positive side, I now know where the updates live! Have been waiting for them to appear in updater !!!
                          Steve

Comment

FYI - I noticed that whenever the speaker client is used (such as playing a sound) the speaker client's cpu usage jumps to 40%. I have since disabled it and play all sounds through the client that runs HSTouch.

- Robert

Comment

I have HS3 on a dedicated Atom N2800 based box running W7 x86 and I see average total CPU usage of around 5% which can then peak at up to 100% when something is happening with HS3 or a plug-in but it then settles down again.

I have a few quite busy plug-ins. About 100 wireless devices being handled by the RFXCOM plug-in, 45 Z-Wave devices and one of my own plug-ins which records all device activity and HS3 resource usage to a database but this has never been an issue.

These stats have been the case for a number of months running the same plug-ins, devices and events etc so I can normally see very quickly if a new update is causing problems.

I normally only update one thing at once so I may update the HS3 base application and leave it 48 hours before updating a plug-in just so I can identify where a problem may be.

For me there was a definite issue with Z-Wave .177 but IMO this is a difficult plug-in to debug made even more difficult by the lack of version changes documentation from HST.

I've seen various bits of information dotted around the board some of which suggests that some devices should be re-scanned with a new version etc, so perhaps this is why I was seeing problems.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
                              X