New HomeSeer Mobile app.....when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New HomeSeer Mobile app.....when?

I have been running HS3 for about 3 years now and really like the product. I came from Vera and have never looked back...except for the mobile experience on HS3. Vera had some great mobile apps (Home Wave) but HS3 is definitely a more solid product.

I am currently running Imperihome, which is OK, but want more control and better dashboards on my mobile devices, so I am considering a purchase of HS3 designer. The problem is that I have no clue how to get started with that product and it looks like it will take a huge commitment to get a decent design going.

That said I have been hearing mention on this board about a possible new mobile app for HS3 called "HomeSeer Mobile". Most recent is MacroMark's comment here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...43&postcount=3

Before I make a decision on designer, I was wondering if anyone from Homeseer can comment on when this new mobile app might be released. Also will designer be needed fro the new app?

I am a big fan of the HS3 automation product. If we could get a good mobile interface, I feel that would make a huge difference in the overall customer experience.

Thanks,
    Andy

Rich said about a week or two ago that it was 50% complete. I am of course not privy to the internal project management of HST but regardless of if that is 50% of the programming or 50% of the project itself (to include testing etc) that is a fair distance to go either way.

I would say you are looking at months rather than weeks.

I'm hoping for a webview type app that has limited native code and instead we have a HTML builder as a screen designer.

Comment

When the cows come home.

Really HSt designer isn't that difficult once you wrap your mind around some basics. There are a few youtube videos that will show you most of what you need and the rest can be found here. Basically you just get icons you like, create backgrounds you like and, well, that's about it. It's really not that difficult. I have a fairly complex project and it took me about a week of tinkering ti get it all set. Now I can go back and make little adjustments as I like.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        I would say you are looking at months rather than weeks.
        I'd prefer something along those lines, considering you can't make everyone happy.

Ideally, I'd like to see a revamped API. Something a lot more modern and intuitive then what we have to work with today. If that's provided, I think you'd see a lot more custom UI support from the community.

Comment

Homewave only works on less then 50% of phones and tablets. Imperihome works on 90% of phones and tablets.

EDIT:
          Actually its more like 35% and 98.2% of the USA market according to this.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/13/io...ed-in-the-u-s/

"But it’s also worth pointing out that while Samsung and iOS may now be tied, Android is still far ahead in the U.S., with a 63.2 percent share to iOS’s 35 percent."

Comment

Thanks all. I ended up purchasing designer and am finding that it is not too bad. I had used a demo version a while back and never found enough time to sit down and learn how to use it. Since the 50% off sale was going on I thought it would be a good time to buy it and start learning!

Thanks,
            Andy

Comment

Hi All,

I'm just curious to see if there's been any new developments on the new app. I just saw the Allonis suite, and while pricey... it does have AMAZING features and a great interface!

I hope that Homeseer is moving towards the Control 4 and Savant infrastructure.

Very Excited for the future!

Comment

Comment

I believe the new mobile app is something more simple without any Designer, more for the casual user that doesn't need the customization but just wants to control things. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere on the forum.
                  I have created some very basic to some really custom projects with Designer over the years and while it does have some quirks for the most part nothing else comes close for me. Yes there is a learning curve but after diving in a actually using it I'm not sure if everyone who "complains" has even used it for more than 10 minutes. Still a great product for me!

John

Comment

Once you get to know HSTouch Designer it is pretty powerful. I'm comfortable with it but still learn new capabilities often.

The main limitation to creating a snazzy looking app with really cool controls is not HSTouch. The problem is my limited creativity in terms of aesthetics and graphics design. What I build works great but not so great looking.

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                      I believe the new mobile app is something more simple without any Designer, more for the casual user that doesn't need the customization but just wants to control things. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere on the forum.

John
                      Thanks John - That is very helpful information!

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                        I really hope the changes coming do not take away the freedom and flexibility currently available in HS3 Designer. We are still some months away from starting our home build and I won't be purchasing my HS3 until that we are even further into the build (no room/reason here in the appt. to even start playing with it).

I have been watching the progress in the Beta discussion but haven't found (or must have missed) anything that defines the major goals of the update. Although offering a more powerful or friendly "starting" app is an awesome idea I would be so disappointed if it came at the expense of flexibility.

Comment

Here it is, From Rich

For custom built apps, you can use HSTouch, that will continue to be supported.

The new app is not customizable, other than a custom dashboard screen.

The goal here is an easier to use app that a new user can use to control their system, including creating events, all from their phone. New users expect this today.

It displays devices in a new format, rather than all the separate devices you now see in HSTouch.

This is not going to be a "power user" app.

Time frame is hopefully by spring we will have something to beta.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by rxatwell View Post
                          This is great news. Without giving too much away, can you offer any sort of release date window? And will it be a custom builder format like HSTouch?

From this thread
                          https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...&postcount=113

John

Comment

Working...
                          X