www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer and Google Home

HomeSeer and Google Home Discussions related to using HomeSeer with the Google Home device

Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:39 PM
OverSeer

Get Google Home to tell you room temperature?

Ok so I have all of my temps setup. Whata interesting thing to look for all 10!!!! HAH..

but they are set and I was curious if google can tell me what the temperature is in the room?

Me: Hey Google
Google Home: Beep
Me: What is Bryans Room Temperature

but no joy. Guessing we are not able to get device status but only a true control of on/off/dim?
Attached Images

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:06 AM
OverSeer

So i think cuz google home imports in lights and outlets.. not my temps.. it cant. Well shucks.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:57 AM
OverSeer

Not sure since I don't have a GH, but with the echo and Jon's Alexa helper , this is totally possible. Does it work or is there a version to support GH?

Robert
HS3PRO 3.0.0.435 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:56 AM
OverSeer

Are you wanting Google Home to speak these values or trigger HS to do so? Have you tired a work around like creating a virtual devices and name it temps. Then in Google Home say temps on. Then setup an event that is triggered by the temps device being set to on. Then you can run an event to speak the temps. This would read the values over all connected HS3 speaker clients.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:52 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
Are you wanting Google Home to speak these values or trigger HS to do so? Have you tired a work around like creating a virtual devices and name it temps. Then in Google Home say temps on. Then setup an event that is triggered by the temps device being set to on. Then you can run an event to speak the temps. This would read the values over all connected HS3 speaker clients.
lol that a lot of work!!!!!

was hoping easier. I am going to set a temp in the pool as well and would of been cool to have GH speak the temp of the pool....
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Seer Plus

Hey your thread caught my eye.
What device are you using to monitor your pool temperature?

HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 1 Day 15 Hours 31 Minutes 5 Seconds
Number of Devices: 329
Number of Events: 180
Available Threads: 399
Enabled Plug-Ins
3.0.0.5: CM15A
3.0.0.42: EasyTrigger
3.0.0.17: EnvCan
3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
Yes this is certainly possible and not that difficult to do. The issue is that I'd rather have GH (GoogleHome) devices around the house than HSTouch devices.

So the question remains. Can we have GH read back to us the value of different HS3 devices. It could be temperature, humidity, light level, outlet status, lock status, thermostat set point etc. etc. Many things are HS3 devices in my house. It would be nice to have GH read the values back. I'm sure GH has this feature it's a matter of adding it to HS3 integration.

Thanks,
RISquare
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:56 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risquare View Post
Yes this is certainly possible and not that difficult to do. The issue is that I'd rather have GH (GoogleHome) devices around the house than HSTouch devices.

So the question remains. Can we have GH read back to us the value of different HS3 devices. It could be temperature, humidity, light level, outlet status, lock status, thermostat set point etc. etc. Many things are HS3 devices in my house. It would be nice to have GH read the values back. I'm sure GH has this feature it's a matter of adding it to HS3 integration.

Thanks,
RISquare
As far as I'm aware, No.

This used to be possible using the old Homeseer Google Home skill, Unfortunately Google do not allow more than one Homeseer skill so Rich selected the Direct Actions skill (read this post).

The only way I know is via Alexa.

Old February 19th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Seer Deluxe

I think this can be done with Spud's Chromecast plugin. This fantastic plugin let's HS3 speak (TTS) to Chromecast devices, Google Home is also a Chromecast device

Check it out: https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1545
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon00 View Post
As far as I'm aware, No.

This used to be possible using the old Homeseer Google Home skill, Unfortunately Google do not allow more than one Homeseer skill so Rich selected the Direct Actions skill (read this post).

The only way I know is via Alexa.
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. I do understand the switch from one to the other however I'm not convinced that Google will not provide for such very basic feature to the hundreds of Home Automation partners they have. I have some very close friends working at Google Home department and I will ask them. Stay tuned for updates directly from the source.

Cheers
Old February 20th, 2018, 01:01 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risquare View Post
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. I do understand the switch from one to the other however I'm not convinced that Google will not provide for such very basic feature to the hundreds of Home Automation partners they have. I have some very close friends working at Google Home department and I will ask them. Stay tuned for updates directly from the source.

Cheers
COOL!!! forgot about this post...
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Seer Master

I had an idea to try this, but haven't got around this yet. GH can tell you the temperature of a thermostat. So, what if you make your temperature device look like a thermostat? I think you might need to play around with the control-use settings on the device to have HS think it is a thermostat. Also, it would not be able to change a setpoint, but hopefully it could just ignore any errant command like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
Ok so I have all of my temps setup. Whata interesting thing to look for all 10!!!! HAH..

but they are set and I was curious if google can tell me what the temperature is in the room?

Me: Hey Google
Google Home: Beep
Me: What is Bryans Room Temperature

but no joy. Guessing we are not able to get device status but only a true control of on/off/dim?

HSPro/Insteon