Sapi voices in Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapi voices in Ubuntu 14.04

I am addicted to my Homeseer TTS voice fonts. I mostly utilize Neospeech fonts purchased a few years back from Homeseer. I also purchased the AT&T voice fonts that Homeseer sold.

Its very easy to install the MS SAPI voice fonts. The following step by step will document what I did to get my SAPI voice fonts working in Ubuntu 14.04.

There is also an endeavor for Linux call S4L - Sapi for Linux - This endeavor uses the SAPI server running in Wine - still playing with this at this time.

I am going slow on another Joggler Ubuntu box I just built to make sure the step by step works.

http://sapi4linux.polip.com/

Linux Wine Installation

Read about Linux Wine here first.

https://www.winehq.org/

Read a bit here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Install it. I personally installed it this way:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine && apt-get install winetricks

Noticed that installing Wine installs Wintricks by default such that you just have to:

1 - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine
    2 - click on the desktop Wine configuration link - little magic happens for a bit (well creates a wintel environment for you).

Check your audio in Wine to make sure it works. Just click on the little test button under the audio configuration. Here I used Pulse audio and changed the defaults to it. Your computer / hardware may be different. Most important though is that you can hear audio.

Note: Put on the Wintel hat while doing this and understand that all of it relates to the base underlying Linux connectivity to your hardware. IE: the Wintel stuff doesn't talk to your hardware directly but rather it talks via emulation with base Linux connectivity.

Update 1st of October, 2014 Status

I mentioned with my previous SAPI attempts I got it to work throwing the "kitchen sink" at the Wine build. That little PC / Wine is working just fine.

On my next build while trying to document the step by step to getting there I have gotten caught up in what appears to be dot net hell. I went slow up until dot net 3.5. Then it went to the toilet literally.

Sapi 5.1 is working fine BUT seeing other issues ....I should leave well enough alone but will continue as I want to document this. I have had to copy some DLL's and register them to get this to work so far.
    Last edited by Pete; October 1, 2014, 12:55 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Good stuff. Thanks Pete!
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

No, the Russound satellite card is still dead. Haven't had the time or the patience to attempt replacing the ufl connector again. Probably going to have to cut it off the PCB with a dremel.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
      X