This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restore to a new pc

Ok so I used that search feature.. however I didnt notice anything there..

I have a bad serial port on my computer.... so I want to use a different machine.. If I build that machine with windows XP and simply install the trial of hs.. then copy my directory over to it... will that work? is that all that is entailed?

I would hate to have to start from scratch to get it all to work....

or do I download trial - register it... download all the stuff I had from the updater then copy my directory over it?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Originally posted by TeleFragger
    Ok so I used that search feature.. however I didnt notice anything there..
    Which feature was that?
    I have a bad serial port on my computer.... so I want to use a different machine..
    Why not replace the serial port?
    If I build that machine with windows XP and simply install the trial of hs.. then copy my directory over to it... will that work? is that all that is entailed?
    Nope.
    I would hate to have to start from scratch to get it all to work....

or do I download trial - register it... download all the stuff I had from the updater then copy my directory over it?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Re-installing on a machine that already had HS is one thing, installing on a brand new setup is another thing.

You should have a copy of your licence codes, therefore once you have built your new machine and installed HS enter the codes when asked to on line.

If that does not work, which it may not, either e-mail HS or raise a help desk ticket.

With HS1 apparently there was a lot of Piracy, (Loved that film, Pirates of the Caribbean), therefore in HS2 HA have built in a little bit to protect themselves.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

yeah I would love to replace the serial port... however I dont have a solder gun handy...

i could... or just add a usb to serial adapter.... I just spent a lot of cash and figured I got a good machine.. actually better than my other one so will use that....

about the piracy... bahhh I own it so yeah im not worried about that....
      HS doesnt actually RUN my house.. so if it is down I will still have my life to live as mine.....

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

i could... or just add a usb to serial adapter....
        You might be sorry if you go this route. From what I've read here, many have problems with things like the ACRF plugin when using a USB to serial adapter. You are better off with a real serial port. You can buy a PCI slot board with several serial ports on it. That's what I did.

Comment

yeah I would love to replace the serial port... however I dont have a solder gun handy...
          You don't need a soldering gun, the boards are plug and play.
          i could... or just add a usb to serial adapter.... I just spent a lot of cash and figured I got a good machine.. actually better than my other one so will use that....
          Good to here you got a machine at a better price. If you are going to use that, why the question?
          ........about the piracy... bahhh I own it so yeah im not worried about that....
          Splendid
          HS doesnt actually RUN my house.. so if it is down I will still have my life to live as mine.....
          HomeSeer does not run anyones home any more than we allow it to, we all have the power to pull the plug.

We also have the power to pull the plug on anything.

You take care, and have fun both with HS and your life.

Gogs.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs
            You don't need a soldering gun, the boards are plug and play.Good to here you got a machine at a better price. If you are going to use that, why the question?SplendidHomeSeer does not run anyones home any more than we allow it to, we all have the power to pull the plug.

We also have the power to pull the plug on anything.

You take care, and have fun both with HS and your life.

Gogs.
            1. the solder gun was a joke as my onboard serial port is bad
            2. $75 for a p4 2.8ht/1.5gb ram/40gb/100gb drives so no questions just have to tear apart my machines and combine.. add my 5 port pci usb card, 5 port fire wire card, hauppauge PVR-500 dual tuner card (just got working) in....
            3. yeah splendid - however it says I have a 30 day license again and said I cannot register it as all licenses are used up.. so a ticket to hs helpdesk is in
            4. I know HS only does what we want - another kinda joke
            5. I have fun in HS and life as I am high on life... 33 years old, been with wife since 1991, 2 kids (6yr old and 14week old) nice house, lifted offroad truck, camaro, trailblazer ext, 5 pc's, good job, great all around life so far.....

Comment

1) I have never seen a situation where an IONetworks Edgeport USB to serial adapter did not work perfectly. I generally use an 8 way, but am using a 16 way right now.

2) Build the new machine. Install XP. Get it booting and starting clean. Download HS and it get it basically installed and working. Don't even bother with all the plugins and scripts you need.

3) Overlay the entire Homeseer directory (make sure its name is the same as the one on the old machine and it is positioned in the same place tree structure wise). Register the ocx files if there are any, any exe files (plugins) etc. If the old directory worked on the old machine it should work on the new one. It is not black magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                You might be sorry if you go this route. From what I've read here, many have problems with things like the ACRF plugin when using a USB to serial adapter. You are better off with a real serial port. You can buy a PCI slot board with several serial ports on it. That's what I did.
                I know many are having problems with usb2serial. But, I use usb2serial (cheapest I can find) adapters liberally & have not had any problems. Plug-ins include Cactus Soft DSC Panel, ACRF, RCS, & Z-Wave.

Comment

well I think I got screwed...

I was going to do a ghost today to have a backup of my machine... it is how I wanted it... if you noticed I just said wanted...

this morning I walked into the garage to get into my car and the lights did not come on (eagle eye)... looked at the eagle eye and it was flashing... looked over at my pc and at a black screen... with some interesting words on it...

NTLDR.SYS not found

CRAPPERS!!!!
                  tried rebooting and nothing... cant find my drive....
                  so im hoping with it off for a bit that it will at least power up so I can ghost it later today...

I also noticed that I couldnt install a game 2 days ago.. would install cd 1 but when I put cd2 in it would error out.. maybe it was hitting a bad sector or something......

all I know is THIS SUCKS

Comment

ntldr.sys is a file needed for windows to boot. It is in the root of "C". If you have a bootable floppy then boot from that and try and copy a version of ntldr.sys from another floppy or the same floppy onto the root of c. this implies that you have a boot floppy that can see at least the c and a drives.

You might search the web for with "ntldr missing" to see what you find. Here is a url that might help

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm

Good luck in spook land

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Gordon
                      ntldr.sys is a file needed for windows to boot. It is in the root of "C". If you have a bootable floppy then boot from that and try and copy a version of ntldr.sys from another floppy or the same floppy onto the root of c. this implies that you have a boot floppy that can see at least the c and a drives.

You might search the web for with "ntldr missing" to see what you find. Here is a url that might help

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm

Good luck in spook land
                      I was running out the door so I didnt have time to check it out... I am in IT and know a considerable amount about hardware and software.. I currently package applications with wise package studio and use Altiris Notification and Deployment servers to distribute software.....

I am definitely familiar with ntldr.sys not found...

Comment

You load games on your HS server?
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                          You load games on your HS server?
                          my hs server is actually my most widely used machine...

homeseer
                          1wire

BeyondTV (snapstream.com - tivo replacement and I have a dual pvr500 tuner)

Unreal Tournament 2004
                          Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield
                          Quake III Arena

dvd creation using ulead dvd workshop
                          dvd burning station

Comment

Ahh, someone else had been subjected to this.

well I think I got screwed...

NTLDR.SYS not found
                            As Barry says, it's a file that XP requires to boot. XP lost contact with mine during a defrag, XP defrag not any other programme. Drove me mad for days until I finally gave in and searched, and it was a hell of a search to find the admissions from Microsoft, that although the file is still there XP can no longer find it due to high data levels on the drive which have been defraged!

No solution was offered.

I searched the web and found an answer, although not one I will use on a permanent basis (the work round has only been in use for about a year )

The workaround was, copy all the startup bits, Boot.ini, NTdetect.com, NTLDR and bcupdate2.exe (whatever that is, may be something I stored) onto a floppy, you have to do it in dos as windows wont start so to speak, stick floppy in floppy drive and start computer. Guess what, it works even on a PC!

The computer in question has been on the agenda to re-format since it happened, just cannot face all those question about why am I re-authenticating XP.

Personally I think it's just a way to get you to buy another copy of XP
                            sigpic

Comment

once again.... just cuz it says... ntloader.sys not found... is like all other microsoft errors... fictitious.... bad hard drive was all it was.. just read my next post... on God invented the best utility

Comment

Working...
                              X