www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Seer

Accessing Homeseer through bridge (internal network)

I have a linksys router. Homeseer is sitting on a Win7 PC at 192.168.1.55

If I connect to the router (wireless or wired) with any computer on my home network, I can type in a browser that ip address and get to the homeseer start page without issue.

However, I also have a WUMC170 wireless bridge. Any computer attached to the bridge works on the internet great. However, most of the time (but has on occasion) it will not connect to Homeseer (again by typing 192.168.1.55).

If I take that same computer and move it to the router (bypassing the bridge), everything works great.

I assume the bridge is not passing certain ports or protocols. Anyone have any ideas?
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldr View Post
I have a linksys router. Homeseer is sitting on a Win7 PC at 192.168.1.55

If I connect to the router (wireless or wired) with any computer on my home network, I can type in a browser that ip address and get to the homeseer start page without issue.

However, I also have a WUMC170 wireless bridge. Any computer attached to the bridge works on the internet great. However, most of the time (but has on occasion) it will not connect to Homeseer (again by typing 192.168.1.55).

If I take that same computer and move it to the router (bypassing the bridge), everything works great.

I assume the bridge is not passing certain ports or protocols. Anyone have any ideas?
Is the WUMC170 a wireless access point (no routing) or a wireless router? If the latter, turn off DHCP on the wireless router and hook up the router to your bridge, not by it's WAN interface but the LAN interface. As such it all stays in the same L2 network and L3 subnet. No port translation issues, broadcast domain is your complete network ...

Dirk
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Seer Master

Are you talking Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector? This device should pass all traffic your router will allows
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Seer

Yes, and yes it should. But it isn't. I though maybe it was having an issue with a port.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorsus View Post
Is the WUMC170 a wireless access point (no routing) or a wireless router? If the latter, turn off DHCP on the wireless router and hook up the router to your bridge, not by it's WAN interface but the LAN interface. As such it all stays in the same L2 network and L3 subnet. No port translation issues, broadcast domain is your complete network ...

Dirk
It is just an access point. So it shouldn't be hanging any of it up.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldr View Post
It is just an access point. So it shouldn't be hanging any of it up.
I agree, couldn't find what type of device it was.

One more item I can think of is MAC learning and MAC spoofing. Does it happen when you move the device from wireless to wired or from one port to another? Switches learn MAC addresses and forward your traffic to a port it has learned your MAC address on. When a device moves between ports you could briefly experience some issues.

Just thinking outside the box

Dirk
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Seer

I will try and dig into the DHCP table and see if maybe the Mac address are messed up. I will probably try rebooting everything this weekend. Just never know what won't come back up right.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Seer

One other thing I noticed. In the Homeseer log it does see the user (from behind the bridge) successfully logged in. Just nothing ever makes it back to that computer.
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM
OverSeer

Personally to save you a bit of grief I would reset / cold button the Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector. Then do whatever configuration you need to do on it and try again.

From the manual:

Quote:
Reset (on bottom) There are two ways to reset the media connector’s factory defaults. Either press and
hold the Reset button for approximately five seconds, or restore the defaults from Administration > Factory
Defaults in the media connector’s browser-basedutility. The Reset button is located on the bottom.
There isn't much to the manual guide:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloa...B_EN_Web,0.pdf

Other than MAC filtering, Wireless configuration and whether it is using DHCP or a static address; there isn't much more. It should work just fine. I think that the bridging piece is the wireless devices needing a gateway. Thinking the ports are just direct connects to whatever.

You can try to ping the Homeseer box via the Linksys to see if it is getting there. Make sure too that all of your devices have the same subnet mask and gateway and DNS. I would also suggest configuring the box with a static IP verus a DHCP setup.

Here I was testing a new table tablet with wireless and HSTouch. I noticed it kept dropping and reconnecting. Checking the interface I noticed that power saving was enabled on the wireless interface. I disabled the power saving and all is well again.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Seer

Thank you for your responses. I will dig into it a little further this weekend. I am also waiting on Level 2 tech support from Lynksys.

Does anyone know what ports homeseer would use. As it is sending everything by http I would suspect 80.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM
OverSeer

Port 80 is the default. You can change it in the setup > web server > server port.
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Seer Master

To me it sounds like return route.

If your wireless acces point is on another network, do your 192.168.1.x network know where to send the return traffic?

If there are no route, the answer will go to the internet (default gate.)

As said before the easy way to set it up is to make sure everything are on the same net.

Regards
Morten