www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > General Home Automation > Off Topic

Off Topic Post your jokes, funny stories, current events and antecdotes here.

Old June 18th, 2016, 04:09 PM
OverSeer

Thank you Z. Now it is understood why I got 'em for a song and a dance. What are you using your X7A for?

Yes; very study made overpriced tiny box which I could throw off a second story window in my house like an old Bell telephone made from Bakelite or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride.

That fan noise mention may not cut the cake for the KodiBuntu box. Current KodiBuntu Intel box typically runs fan low and I never hear it. I have muffled some fans in some PCs with a little sound cushioning. In the attic the 140 ° F the RPi2 hasn't melted. Wondering what the heat would do to the metal case and it's innards.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old June 18th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In the attic the 140 ° F the RPi2 hasn't melted. Wondering what the heat would do to the metal case and it's innards.
I'd be concerned, since my IR gun says it's already running at 95 F in a 70 F house, and it's not loaded at all (just idleing w/Speaker.exe and Win 7)

Z
Old June 18th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Seer

Dancraft seems to be missing in action as well. They were the OEM of Hal's Red October IR interface, but also sold through Dancraft as the IR Jukebox.

Anyone remember the Samantha home assistant? (circa 1994)

I'll also add Lightwood to the list. They made curtain / drapery motors that closed the curtains by pulling the cord. Very good ones at that. As I recall Somfy bought them out.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Triggle; June 18th, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:40 PM
OverSeer

Yeah the attic is currently at 117 °F, outside it is 79.5 ° F and inside it is 74° F. (middle floor is around 70°F amd basememt is 65 °F)

The new box would be running the HS3 lite (Zee-2) in the attic. Main Homeseer 3 pro box is in the basement (which is around 65°F right now on an Intel i3 / Haswell PC running Ubuntu). I am doing a remote speaker client now from it to the basement Wintel server VB on the Homeseer Ubuntu box.

I have heard of or read of Samantha but not Dancraft.

The RPi2 / Zee-2 has been in the attic over a year now running Z-Wave and X-10 with a little 1-wire network. My NTP GPS board mini USB port did fall off a few years ago and I just soldered the power to the main board and it's been fine now for some 3 years or so.
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM
OverSeer

Powered up one of the Xi3 micro PC's today. It came with a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro without a license. It runs W7 64 bit well. It is hot running.
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:55 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Kaleidescape

If you're a Cinephile (movie enthusiast), you are familiar with Kaleidescape... even if you're not rich enough to own their products. This past week, the company shut down operations and is actively looking for a buyer. Here's an interview with CEPRO: http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleide...ena_srinivasan

website | products | support | youtube
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Add Zonoff to the list of companies no longer in operation. They were the tech providers behind Somfy's Tahoma controller and the Staples Connect hub. Here's the story: http://www.cepro.com/article/goodbye..._honeywell_adt
Old April 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM
OverSeer

wow... im wondering if that IOT garage door company will end up here on your list..

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.344

Plugins - BLLAN 2.0.35.0 | BLRF 2.0.91.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.7 | FitbitSeer 0.2.0.0 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.35 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.130

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Troller Z-Wave Interface
Old April 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
OverSeer

Unrelated / related thinking that Staples is just about at end life these days.
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:21 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Should MainLobby (Cinemar) be added to the list? Their home page is still up but it displays Flash animations that are blocked by Chrome and the most recent post on their message board is something from Aug 5th that was not replied to. Only 4 of their forums have a "latest post" from this year (2017).
Old August 15th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Seer Master

I didn't see mention of PowerHome which I tried to use 10 years ago. It was like HS control software which was written using Sybase PowerBuilder. At the time I thought it had a lot of potential. Got some Insteon switches and a PLM, power-home license and began trying to automate and control the insteon devices. Ultimately I wanted to integrate it with WebCamXP which I was using for surveillance/security. I kind of got it working but it was so unreliable and buggy that after about 6 months, I abandoned it. Kept using WebcamXP. Fast forward 9 years and I got interested again when my analog capture board died. I decided to replace WebcamXP (by then actually Webcam7) with Blue Iris. That went real well. Then I researched HA software and found HS3. They both played well together. After a decade, I'm happy and have a reliable system.

http://www.power-home.com/default.aspx
Old August 16th, 2017, 01:10 AM
OverSeer

Got an email a while back about Cinemar becoming a new company. The new company name is Allonis LLC

I did purchase Main Lobby first generation when first introduced while running Homeseer a few years back after meeting the group at one HSExpo in Florida...a couple years after meeting Rich at one HSExpo in 2003. (still looking for the Mainlobby display from around then...)

BTW the keypad to the left is an HAI OmniPro keypad and Homeseer integration to the HAI OmniPro was featured here and that got me to purchase my first of two HAI OmniPro panels.

Name:  homeseer.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  32.8 KB.

Last edited by Pete; August 16th, 2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old August 16th, 2017, 01:35 AM
OverSeer

Used a C64 in the early 1980's for my automation and it did text to speech (very primitive). Purchased the C64 around 1982 at the initially offered price. (also had a Pet computer right around then). The Pet computer in my office ran one of the first Commodore BBS's in the midwest using a stack of Ventel modems and tapping (a bit of phone freaking at the time) payphone lines snooping around my office building.

Used a Kaypro for doing bean counting spreadsheets back then...

Name:  c64.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  116.6 KB

Commodore 64 automation is back again from the dead...(2016)

The Internet of Things is a horrific waste of time, even though no one knows exactly what it is. What would make it better? Classic Commodore gear, of course. Now you can run your smart home with a Commodore 64 and Commodore Home, the newest smart home framework from [retro.moe].

Commodore Home comes with the standard smart home features you would expect. The home lighting solution is a dot matrix printer, a few gears, and string tied to the light switch. Activate the printer, and the lights turn on and off. Brilliant. Multiple light switches can be controlled by daisy chaining printers.

Security is important in the smart home, and while the intruder alarm isn’t completely functional, future versions of Commodore Home will dial a modem, log into a BBS, and leave a message whenever an authorized person enters your home.

All of this is possible thanks to advances in UniJoystiCle technology, also from [retro.moe]. This device takes a standard ESP8266 WiFi module and turns it into a smartphone-to-joystick port bridge for the Commodore 64.

Unlike every other piece of IoT hardware being sold today, Commodore Home won’t stop working when the company behind it goes belly up; Commodore has been dead for twenty years already. You can grab all the software for Commodore Home over on the Githubs, or you can check out the video below.

Last edited by Pete; August 16th, 2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old August 16th, 2017, 01:45 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

OK so... while the website and forum are still up, Cinemar is in the "no longer being developed" category then. PowerHome is still being sold via distribution, so that's still in the 'active' status.
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Seer Master

Cinemar aka the flash interface is dead.

Allonis is alive and well with the new web interface which works great. I believe that one can still utilize the flash user interface with the Allonis myServer product. But, why would you want to.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:39 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Adding Evolve Z-Wave products to the list. If you hunt a little you can find a smattering of them here and there but... not much. I assume there hasn't been a production run of any new product in a few years now. The company appears to have left the consumer market and is entirely focused on the commercial hospitality market.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
If you're a Cinephile (movie enthusiast), you are familiar with Kaleidescape... even if you're not rich enough to own their products. This past week, the company shut down operations and is actively looking for a buyer. Here's an interview with CEPRO: http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleide...ena_srinivasan
Group purchase anyone?
Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), BeakerStat, Device History
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT100 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Author of BeakerStat, the Radio Thermostat WiFi thermostat plugin for HS2.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:58 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
Group purchase anyone?
wait... they're not dead yet? https://www.kaleidescape.com/news/
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:40 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Add the Harmony Link Hub to the list of Cloud-managed products that will be intentionally "bricked" very soon. According to Engadget, Logitech will be ending service (effectively "bricking" the hub) on March 16, 2018.

Story: https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/09/...link-in-march/

FAIK, the list now includes
  • Revolv (bought by Nest and then bricked)
  • Staples Home Connect
  • Harmony Link Hub

Are there more?
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Seer Master

The problem with cloud driven services is what keeps a company hosting it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk