HS3 license from Hometroller to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 license from Hometroller to PC

I have a Hometroller with HS3 running on Win XP Embedded. With internet security having changed over the years and no upgrade path for XP, I'm going to have to move to a newer OS. Will I be able to transfer my Hometroller license to another computer?

Yes you can move that license to a PC. It may require a reset and if it does email support@homeseer.com to reset your license.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. New PC ordered and on its way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Yes you can move that license to a PC. It may require a reset and if it does email support@homeseer.com to reset your license.
        I would assume you could, but the way I was told is you can't. And the reason for that was they didn't want anyone saleing off a Hometroller without a license. So when I started with HS3 I was always told to buy your own hardware so you could bounce from linux to windows and to any hardware you wanted. If you bought a package it was tied to that package and couldn't be split up and sold as hardware with no license or license with no hardware.

But I would have to assume if you called them and pled your case that your hardware has died and you want to move to new hardware it should be possible.

In any case I would like to hear from HS what the actual rules are again.

Thanks,
        JIM

Comment

You can use the license on a new PC but that will prevent selling the hardware with a license. If you sell it the new user will have to purchase a license to use on the hardware.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            You can use the license on a new PC but that will prevent selling the hardware with a license. If you sell it the new user will have to purchase a license to use on the hardware.
            Please read what you have said in the past. specifically reply #5 and what you quoted from the other user.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184573

Comment

Rupp - I'd really recommend talking to mark or rich to make sure. Separating a hometroller license from the hardware is not going to be a good idea. In their licensing server, it will always show up as a hometroller license.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Well, it seems that I stirred up a mess here. Maybe I should ask for a new operating system for my Hometroller to replace Windosw XP embedded, that is old, outdated, and no longer secure. While no one can future proof a product, and the hardware it runs on, this thing is not cheap and should not be considered disposable. I hope this ends well when the new box arrives and I try to load everything from the Hometroller.
                Maybe the Hometroller license can be marked void in the database and a regular license can be issued for my new HS3 server.....???

Comment

Here helped a Hometroller user redo his old HS2 stuff and left the XPe in place and updated the OS drive. He sold it here with HS2 / license on it.

Many HS2 Hometroller folks have done this going to Homeseer 3.

He did not get very much for it...thinking around $100 or so.

As Rob mentions above you should keep both the hardware and software together.

BTW here still running XPe on my tabletop touchscreens (15). They work great and XPe is lighter than W7e or W8e. They do not talk to the internet so I am not worried.
                  Last edited by Pete; February 13, 2018, 02:07 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X