First Alert ZCOMBO-G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
    But as soon as it chirps, I can take the tray out and in. . .to get the alert. . .I then have kept the old batteries in for a few weeks. . .and I never get another low battery zwave message. . .
    Btw, I got 7 months out of the last set of batteries. Changed at 74% (started chirping again).

Comment

Rather than start another thread, I'll post here. I just received my ZCOMBO from HomeSeer and I can't get it included into HS3 on a Hometroller Zee S2. I've tried the add a node way and also the android app which is basically the same thing.

I have the Linear Garage door unit working just fine and a bunch of older x10 stuff. But now I'm stumped. I am a newbee but this should have been easy.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        Rather than start another thread, I'll post here. I just received my ZCOMBO from HomeSeer and I can't get it included into HS3 on a Hometroller Zee S2. I've tried the add a node way and also the android app which is basically the same thing.

I have the Linear Garage door unit working just fine and a bunch of older x10 stuff. But now I'm stumped. I am a newbee but this should have been easy.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

If I recall correctly these are quite picky to include. They are only in include mode for a short time after you close the battery door. You may need to try multiple times.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Are you following the paper instructions? I believe you have to hold down the button while applying power (plug in battery)... But check the instructions. I didn't have any issues with my setup.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

I have followed the lame instructions. Open compartment, remove batteries, install batteries, press test button while closing compartment door. Release button. Variation #2, release button after unit beeps once.

Apparently this is the same way you exclude a device. So I followed the instructions to reset Zwave by holding test button for 10+ seconds.

After the fifth attempt my wife said, "What are you doing?" I put it away for the night and will try again when I send her out shopping.

I don't think it's my Zee controller but I have no way of knowing for sure since I only own one other zwave device and I don't feel like climbing up to the garage ceiling to exclude and then include again the garage door opener.

Any other suggestions are welcome since I think it's a very nice unit and don't want to have to return it for a refund or replacement.

Comment

Are you doing this with the ZCombo next to the Zee? Definitely try that if not. It took me multiple attempts to get mine included even with it right next to the Z-net that I use.

Also, 2 Z-wave devices isn't going to create much of a mesh network. (Yes, I know we all start somewhere). Unless you have the Zee, the door opener and the ZCombo pretty close you may struggle even once you've included the ZCombo.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                Btw, I got 7 months out of the last set of batteries. Changed at 74% (started chirping again).
                We have 4 of these smoke/CO detectors our home and they work very well. They were purchased at our local Lowe's a few weeks before Christmas last year. The unit located in our bonus room is the farthest from the controller, the batteries were changed in that unit about 5 months after we bought it. The rest have the original batteries that came with the unit. So 3 of the units are working on over 12 months now. I was a little reluctant to purchase battery operated smoke detectors, however these have proved to require very little maintenance. I have setup a number of events to notify us if there is a problem and to provide status. In a earlier post Mark shared a great idea using a few events and a timer to check status of the units...

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS Smoke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1188219
                Billy

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                  The alarm heartbeat is the status the notification device changes to as seen here.

I'm also attaching my heartbeat events. The top event sends me a notification every 30 minutes when my heartbeat timer exceeds 61 minutes. The bottom event resets the timer every time the notification device is "set to" alarm heartbeat. Be sure to use "set to", not "changes and becomes".
                  Mark, this may be a stupid question, but I presume I need a timer for each alarm that I am going to monitor?

Thanks
                  Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Are you doing this with the ZCombo next to the Zee? Definitely try that if not. It took me multiple attempts to get mine included even with it right next to the Z-net that I use.
                    I have not installed the ZCOMBO in its permanent location. I have it on the shelf with the Zee so that they are less than a foot apart. Will try later on.

Comment

Still no joy. I even changed the batteries for two new ones. The unit is within inches of the S2. I've tried more than 25 times even trying using the android app. There is nothing on an HS3 screen that suggests any kind of communication. Sigh...

Tried add a node, secure and insecure

I guess I could exchange it or return if for a refund, but all I want is a working unit without drama. I could have stayed with X10 if I wanted to fiddle except they don't sell a fire alarm, thankfully.

Comment

What procedure are you doing on the zcombo? I think it says in the instructions the specifics like closing the battery door then holding the button for so long tgen release.

Whats your process?

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                          Still no joy. I even changed the batteries for two new ones. The unit is within inches of the S2. I've tried more than 25 times even trying using the android app. There is nothing on an HS3 screen that suggests any kind of communication. Sigh...

Tried add a node, secure and insecure

I guess I could exchange it or return if for a refund, but all I want is a working unit without drama. I could have stayed with X10 if I wanted to fiddle except they don't sell a fire alarm, thankfully.

Just thought. Have you tried excluding it first? There's a chance it was included at the factory and if it thinks it's included it won't include again. Try removing/excluding from the HomeSeer UI whilst performing the same shenanigans with the device. If it excludes then it will probably include after that.
                          cheeryfool

Comment

Have you tried excluding it first?
                            By default, I believe that happens automatically. According to the instructions you remove the batteries, reinsert the batteries, then hold down the test button while pushing the battery compartment back into the unit. After closing the battery compartment, you let go of the button.

Those are the instructions for both inclusion and exclusion. So of the multiple tries, every other one is inclusion, every other one...exclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by spknapp View Post
                              Mark, this may be a stupid question, but I presume I need a timer for each alarm that I am going to monitor?

Thanks
                              Since we have 4 smoke detectors, I created a timer and events for each unit. The events that send the notification were tailored so that we would know which unit is having trouble.
                              Billy

Comment

Eureka! I was fighting the device when I should have been trying HomeSeer. I clicked Remove/Exclude A Node. As soon as I pushed the batteries in I got a message that a node had been excluded, even though nothing showed as far as I could tell.

Then I clicked on add/include a node non secure and VOILA!

It shows battery level, heartbeat and the unit itself. Now to learn more.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in.

Comment

Working...
                                X