Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitbit tracker / Aria Scale potential plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitbit tracker / Aria Scale potential plugin?

I just wondered if there was any interest in a plug in to integrate the Fitbit tracking devices and Aria scale into Homeseer as a plugin. I am thinking of developing this, so would like to know:

a) If there is already one in existence? (Including one under development)

b) If anyone would be interested in one, which I guess would end up in the Homeseer store for around the $30 mark.

c) What features would people find desirable, what virtual devices would you like to see (e.g. Steps, Weight etc.)? How many family users would it need to support (maybe 8 max?) What features are missing from the basic Fitbit website that might be useful additions on a Homeseer plugin?

d) How often would you like the data updated, if say once an hour then a simple polling mechanism would suffice, if near real time then it would be necessary to have your Homeseer server exposed to the Fitbit servers.

Even though the near real time would be more complex the WAF in getting Homeseer to speak encouraging messages about her weight loss as she gets on the scale (or raids the fridge) is too tempting to pass up :-).

I use the fitbit, and also a withings scale and have always wanted to integrate these into homeseer, but the API was way beyond my skills to actually do it.

Depending on the amount of data it exposes, the event triggers etc I would look at paying between $15 - $30 for the plugin, but in my case I would really need to have the withings scale as well which may not be possible etc.

As for the things it could expose, for the fitbit i would say number of steps, number of floors climbed, kJ burnt (if possible), and then with the weight stuff id say the weight, BMI, Fat etc etc.
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

I might be interested in a fitbit plug-in, especially if it supported multiple users. $15 seems fair.
      My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I would say too, Near Realtime would be fantastic. How great it would be to allow the house to provide encouragement, or scolding depending on progress lol

It would either exponentially increase WAF, or cause it to plummet depending on the response
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Comment

Originally posted by danchallis View Post
          I just wondered if there was any interest in a plug in to integrate the Fitbit tracking devices and Aria scale into Homeseer as a plugin. I am thinking of developing this [...]
          If you do it, it means I don't have to. Go for it!

The Fitbit API is okay, and you could get much data out of there, but "realtime" I don't think is possible. As Twitter, they limit the number of queries you can do to their servers, probably 1) to reduce traffic and 2) to make money using their Trainer service. I have yet to receive a response from then on how it is actually counted.

To me, price is somewhat a gray area. I see plugins in the Updater that is certainly not worth their price, and others that do. If it's worth "anything" is directly given by the offered features.

To be worth $30 the plugin should be rather "excellent", the plugins by e.g. Ultrajones are beautiful and easy to use, and to me worth $30. My plugins are NOT in the same league as Ultrajones', and are therefore offered for free.
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Just another idea, and it is not realtime but you should suggest that Fitbit get added to If This Then That (www.ifttt.com), the site allows you to create logical triggers when then cause some kind of response.

My Withings scale is connected to IFTTT, and when I use it the house gets sent an email with the associated measurements, Jon00's Email Script then is used to take these values and put them into Virtual Devices.

I have made a suggestion to MyFitnessPal, Fitbit, and Digifit that they should all consider integrating with IFTTT as well. (Jawbone UP is already integrated).

One of the more useful things with this, for example with the Jawbone UP is that you can trigger on data not being entered for x amount of time, so the house could be emailed, to tell you to be motivated and exercise if no exercise is logged for x amount of time.

I know its not realtime, but not bad for a free service.

Comment

Was there ever a plugin created for FitBit devices? I just ordered the wrist band and scale and would love to get this integrated into HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by iblis View Post
                Was there ever a plugin created for FitBit devices? I just ordered the wrist band and scale and would love to get this integrated into HS3.
                there is an IFTTT channel for FitBit: https://ifttt.com/fitbit
                so you can use the IFTTT plugin to integrate FitBit into HS3

Comment

so anyone get anywhere with this? we have 4 x fitbits in our house! and my scale broke a long time ago and no longer made so wouldnt mind getting a new one!
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Add another interested party.

We currently have 3 and a scale. The app really does everything we need it to do, but it would be fun to put some data up on the BetaBrites through a plug-in sometimes.

Comment

I've actually started developing a small plugin for HS3 that reads data directly from Fitbit using their API. I've got the data collection sorted, but now I need to get more familiar with the HS3 sample plugins.

No promises on dates, sadly. I have small kids, the require most of my spare (read: programming) time these days.
                      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                      X