www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Audio / Video and Infra-red (IR) Plug-ins > Audio / Video and Infra-red (IR) Discussion > AirplaySpeak

AirplaySpeak This plug-in is a Speak Proxy which allows Homeseer to route annoucements to AirPlay capable devices such as an AirPort Express

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Airplay Speak plug-in general information

This plug-in is designed to allow HomeSeer to send TTS annoucements to AirPlay capable devices (such as an Apple AirPort Express or an AppleTV), exactly as if those devices were HomeSeer Speaker Clients.

Features:
  • Routes Homeseer annoucements to AirPlay capable devices.
  • Streams WAV, MP3 or AIFF audio files to AirPlay capable devices.
  • Auto discovers compatible devices on your local network using Bonjour
  • Let you adjust volume for each speaker.
  • Supports AirPort Express and AppleTV as well as most of other Airplay compatible hardware or software.
Notes:

This plugin needs the Apple Bonjour service to run on your HomeSeer machine. If you have installed iTunes (or most of other Apple software), it should already be installed.
If it isn't, you can download it from the following links:
64bits version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0lhdxpbd19go4i/Bonjour64.msi
32bits version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkoi00zvlhxx2cn/Bonjour.msi

The plug-in is available for both HS2 and HS3 versions. See the HS3 User Guide or HS2 User Guide for more information.

Please give me your feedback in this forum, and let me know about any issues or additional feature requirements.

I hope you enjoy using the plug-in and find it useful.

spud

Last edited by spud; January 21st, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Seer

Are there plans to make it compatible with AppleTV?
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Definitely. Streaming audio to an Airport Express is almost the same thing as streaming audio to an AppleTV, except that it uses a different encryption type. So, I just need to figure out this part.

I don't have an estimated time of arrival, though.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Super Seer

This is really quite cool, I am keen to give it a go but have to get some Airplay devices (i think I have one laying around somewhere), What would be really cool would be to integrate this with the Music API so that each Apple Airplay device can become a zone!
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Seer

This is great just what I am after. The only issue I have is none of my airplay devices are Airport Express.

I have a Philips Fidelio AD7000W, a Raspberry Pi running XBMC with Airplay and an Apple TV. Each one shows in the log as - AirplaySpeak - XXXX does not support TCP transport (UDP is not supported yet by AirplaySpeak)

I'm hoping they all work the same way as the Apple TV, are you able to confirm this?
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Seer Master

How well does this work? I currently have squeezeboxes and there is a delay in speech as HS converts text to wav file and then plays. Is this virtually instantaneous
or is there a delay? Also, any chance this will be able to play music as well?
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilez View Post
This is great just what I am after. The only issue I have is none of my airplay devices are Airport Express.

I have a Philips Fidelio AD7000W, a Raspberry Pi running XBMC with Airplay and an Apple TV. Each one shows in the log as - AirplaySpeak - XXXX does not support TCP transport (UDP is not supported yet by AirplaySpeak)

I'm hoping they all work the same way as the Apple TV, are you able to confirm this?
I made good progress towards supporting AppleTV and most of other AirPlay capable devices. In 1 week or so, I hope to release a new version in which 95% of AirPlay devices will be supported. Stay tuned!

Quote:
How well does this work? I currently have squeezeboxes and there is a delay in speech as HS converts text to wav file and then plays. Is this virtually instantaneous
or is there a delay? Also, any chance this will be able to play music as well?
This plugin uses SpeakToFile HS function to convert text to wav file, so yes there is a delay, but from my tests it's relatively small: if I manually run an event that speaks something, the time elapsed between clicking the run button and the sound starting playing on my Airport Express is less than a second.

The only way you can play music using this plugin is to set the path of a music file (instead of some text to be spoken) in your Speak action (see example here). So I can imagine you could use this feature and a script or another plugin, to play a playlist or something. Note that only .wav (with sample rate of 22050Hz or 44100Hz) and .m4a (Apple Lossless Audio codec) are supported for now.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Seer

Excellent news looking forward to this thanks.
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Seer Deluxe

I have four or five AirPort Express's left over from before Squeezebox and then SONOS became my music transport of choice... I'll give this a good go this week-end and report back. I also have two Apple TV's and a couple of amps and TV's that have Airplay... not sure how this will all will play into the mix but will be a fun experiment as Spud enhances the PI.

Chris

Plugins :BLBackup:,Pushover 3P:,Wiimote:Winery,HSTV:,Insteon:,PHLocation:,drhsIpPlugIn:, UltraNetatmoWelcome3:,UltraSighthoundVideo3:,Vista Alarm:,UltraCID3:,Random:,EasyTrigger:,iAutomate RFID:,FitbitSeer:,Z-Wave:,HSTouch Server:,weatherXML:,Sonos:,Restart:,UltraGCIR3:,UltraPioneer AVR3:JowiHue;WiiMote;MyQ
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Seer

Is there a limit to how many AirPlay devices the announcements can be sent to simultaneously? (as itunes is limited to 6, not sure if that is an itunes software limitation or if its a hardware limit?)
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAnvil View Post
Is there a limit to how many AirPlay devices the announcements can be sent to simultaneously? (as itunes is limited to 6, not sure if that is an itunes software limitation or if its a hardware limit?)
There is no such limit in the plugin. That being said I never tested with more than 3 devices.

I'm not sure why iTunes has this 6 limit, maybe because it could be challenging to perfectly synchronize music on a lot of devices.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Super Seer

have you ported over to HS3.... getting cautious about new plug-ins ?
Ubuntu 16.10 (64) | HSPro 3.0.0.297 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.124 | Server .94 | BL BackUp | BLOccupied | BLLock | Media Controller | Jowi HUE | HSTouch | DSC-Envisalink | I-Tunes DAAP | DirecTV | Restart | Honeywell WiFi | Weather XML | RFX Com | + Android .117 : IOS 8
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
have you ported over to HS3.... getting cautious about new plug-ins ?
Not yet, but it's in my todo list

Hopefully it won't be too difficult as the interface between this plugin and HS is very simple (no HS devices to manage, simple configuration page, etc...)
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I have posted a Beta version of this plugin here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908
The main change is the support for AppleTV and most other AirPlay capable devices.

Please test with as many devices as you can and report your results!
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Seer

Cannot connect to Airport Express

I am getting this error in my log. I do not have a password to connect. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Emmett

3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Found Service: 7CD1C3C81A22@Elizondo AirPlay
3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Resolved Service: 7CD1C3C81A22 - Elizondo AirPlay - 10.0.0.7
3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Elizondo AirPlay does not support any encryption type supported by AirplaySpeak)
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett View Post
I am getting this error in my log. I do not have a password to connect. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Emmett

3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Found Service: 7CD1C3C81A22@Elizondo AirPlay
3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Resolved Service: 7CD1C3C81A22 - Elizondo AirPlay - 10.0.0.7
3/18/2013 1:58:28 PM AirplaySpeak Elizondo AirPlay does not support any encryption type supported by AirplaySpeak)
Please try version 1.1.0.3 posted in the Beta forum: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908

what kind of device is it?
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM

version 1.1.0.4 is now in the updater.

it supports Airport Express, AppleTV and most of other Airplay compatible hardware or software.
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM

version 1.1.0.8 is now available from the updater.

some additional features (as the possibility to trigger event before and after the announcement) have been added, see http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908 for details.
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:00 PM

version 1.1.0.8 has a bug that triggers the following error when you try to access the config page:

Code:
Error     Calling GenPage for plugin, link: /airplayspeak_config Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
it's fixed in 1.1.0.9, but this version is not yet in the updater, so please use the package attached to this thread: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908
until updater is updated
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM

version 1.2.0.0 is now available from the updater. It considerably improves the quality of TTS sent to AirPlay devices, and includes a few other fixes and enhancements, see http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908 for details.