Time to start playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to start playing

It takes about 10 seconds between when i run an event and when the speakers start playing music.

The source is spotify. The device is soundtouch wireless link. I was wondering if the time has anything to do with the update interval.

I was also wondering what the purpose of the update interval is. I'm not using any hstouch stuff so i was thinking that isn't even all that useful for me.

Originally posted by ryanoly View Post
    It takes about 10 seconds between when i run an event and when the speakers start playing music.

The source is spotify. The device is soundtouch wireless link. I was wondering if the time has anything to do with the update interval.

I was also wondering what the purpose of the update interval is. I'm not using any hstouch stuff so i was thinking that isn't even all that useful for me.
    The update interval is how often the plugin checks the SoundTouch / wireless adapter for updated values. This handles keeping the devices in HomeSeer up to date after you change the physical device. For example if you go to a SoundTouch player and change the volume manually or use the SoundTouch app on an iPad to control the adapter then the refresh interval is what updates HomeSeer with the changes you have made.

When you use a HomeSeer event to control the player the command is sent immediately, without waiting on the refresh interval.

I use Sirius XM myself and do agree that it can take a while for it to initially connect and start playing. Perhaps Spotify is the same. In my events I have a "Pre Breakfast" event that warms up the players to the correct channel and mutes them. When it is time to play music all I have to do is send a mute off command and the music starts immediately. When changing the preset during the day I have a delay as the stream changes over to the new Sirius XM channel.

regards, Chris

Comment

I think I have this figured out. The Bose Soundlink Wireless Adapter has a power saving mode that it goes into automatically. The plugin registers this as "off" (the Bose app does as well). I have not been able to figure out a way to disable the power saving mode.

When a Soundlink Wireless Adapter goes into this mode is when it takes longer to start up. If it is on in a paused or stopped state it starts up quickly.

The way I control these Bose Adapters is that the shutoff command sets the volume to 0 and pauses the music. So as long as it doesn't go into sleep mode it starts back up quickly.

I attempted to create an event that detected when the Bose is off and volume 0 it would turn on the Bose and pause it. But when you turn it on it will jump to volume 10 from 0. It appears anything less than 10 it turns to 10 when you power it on.

I think it's the plugin that is turning it to 10 and not the adapter. But I'm not sure. If the plugin left it at 0 i think i would have a solution.

Comment

I think it is the wireless adapter that sets the volume to 10. I was playing with the Bose app and it does the same thing. The api documentation for the bose is pretty straight forward but doesn't mention this of course.

I was able to create an event that powers on the wireless adapter, sets the volume to 0 and pauses it.

This works perfectly. Nothing comes out of the speakers and it is in a state that is ready to start fast.

I'll log the event and see how many times it fires tonight.

So yeah, I think i have a solution!!!

All this messing around I did get my wireless links into an "INVALID_SOURCE" state. Jeff you ever see this? I created an event that when it gets in this state it set it to "PRESET 1". Not sure how I got them into this state but I've seen this a few times.

Comment

The event to keep the bose alive is working well. It runs every 20. So it must be a 20 minutes and the bose goes into power saving mode.

I am getting the invalid source though. I guess I will have to enable my event that will switch it to PRESET 1 when invalid comes up.

Jeff any idea why it might do this?

I'll let you know if the invalid source event works. Here is an image showing invalid source and the event I run to keep the bose alive.

https://ibb.co/iZFV0w

Comment

Working...
          X