FortrezZ Water Flow Meter Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FortrezZ Water Flow Meter Installation

I plan on installing 2 FortrezZ water flow meters to track the water consumption in my home. The installation instructions state the flow meters must be installed in a horizontal position. Both of my city meters are installed in a fairly compact space. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I would add the 2 meters in my set up? I would appreciate it if anyone could share pictures of their set up so I can see how others have done this.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Attached Files
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Can you simply put them about the current meters. Like:
    Code:
    |
    |
    |____ meter____
                  |
     _____________|
    |
    |
    |
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Looking for pictures.

Here the town let me upgrade my own water meter. I had one like the one you have above. New one was bigger and mostly plastic. It is relating to some new code about not using brass water meters.

I had one of two water meters in place right by the city water meter.

I had 1" pipes coming in.

I redid all of the copper sweating new pipes and bends and kept a small footprint.

I would too replace your valves with ball valves. Well mine are brass. I did utilize one brass elbow as it seemed sturdier to me than using a copper elbow.
      Last edited by Pete; June 20, 2017, 03:27 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If I did much plumbing I would take the opportunity to put in smart main shut offs. I have one for house and one for sprinkler but now you have my curiosity up on flow sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
          If I did much plumbing I would take the opportunity to put in smart main shut offs. I have one for house and one for sprinkler but now you have my curiosity up on flow sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I am primary interested in the flow meters. I plan on developing a plug-in to support their flow meter.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I just bought one of these so I would be interested in what you come up with

Comment

Can anymore confirm it's okay to install the Flow Meters vertically?

Regards,
              Ultrajones

Comment

Well, I ended up installing them in a virtual position and they appear to be working great. UltraFlowMeter3 HSPI coming soon.

Regards,
                Ultrajones
                Attached Files

Comment

Comment

There's a filter cup inside the meter. You only need to clean that out if your city/ well water is really dirty. Otherwise, no maintenance is required. That's a standard item in most meters so that sediment doesn't ruin the bearings and seals.

Comment

I plan on installing the Fortress Flow Meter soon. I asked Fortrezz about the horizontal versus vertical orientation. They said that the horizontal orientation is what they recommend, but many users have installed them vertically and have had no issues. They said that the horizontal orientation recommendation is because the impeller wheel axis sits up /down when in horizontal orientation. Horizontal orientation provides the more reliable & accurate performance. Mounting it vertically puts the wheel on it's side and can cause the unit to be slightly less accurate.

I replied saying that my main goal is for determining if there is an unusually high level of water usage, so that I can investigate, and if needed, use my Z-Wave water shutoff valve to shutoff the water in an emergency. They said that for a water damage prevention system, a vertical orientation is fine. It's just that it's a little less accurate than the horizontal orientation. They wouldn't quote me an estimate on how much less accurate, but they said that the difference is small. For determining if there is a major water leak, it should be fine. But, for billing purposes, they recommend only the horizontal method. For my situation, it wouldn't be for billing purposes, since the city has their own water meter. Aside: my city's water meter has some sort of wireless interface (it's wired to some box that sits on the side of the house). Would be nice if there was a way to tap into that interface for Homeseer use, but I suppose such an interface wouldn't be provided to customers.

I'll get my plumber to install this, and see if a horizontal orientation would be reasonable to do (like Ultrajones, vertical orientation would be much easier in my existing setup).

Also, Fortezz recommends Ultrajones' plug-in!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Can you simply put them about the current meters. Like:
                        Code:
                        |
                        |
                        |____ meter____
                                      |
                         _____________|
                        |
                        |
                        |

Comment

My plug-in should run on any system that HomeSeer3 runs on. I am not doing any Operating System checks, so if you're seeing something in the logs, you may want to confirm with HomeSeer that the version you're running is supported.

Regards,
                          Ultrajones

Comment

What is everyone using for the flow meter sensor input is it analog or a digital pulse? What hardware (i.e. Fortress Flow meter) and flow sensor input are you using?

I have a Hunter Flow Meter which is wired to my Hydrawise sprinkler system.

I want a flow meter for the house connected the the HS3 system

Devoir

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                              What is everyone using for the flow meter sensor input is it analog or a digital pulse? What hardware (i.e. Fortress Flow meter) and flow sensor input are you using?

I have a Hunter Flow Meter which is wired to my Hydrawise sprinkler system.

I want a flow meter for the house connected the the HS3 system

Devoir
                              I used the FortrezZ Z-Wave flow meter connected to my HomeSeer system via the HomeSeer Z-NET. More information at http://www.fortrezz.com/flow-meter/

Regards,
                              Ultrajones

Comment

Working...
                              X