active RFID - from ebay?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

active RFID - from ebay?????

has anyone tried to use, or is using an active RFID system similiar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-Active-...item1e825d4afe

Well sort of. Do a search for RFID and you will see the hundreds of post and information on the plugin(s) we use with the hardware.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm not aware of an active RFID on the board. This one has distance!

This does not appear to be the same HW as for Blades or CheaperRFID or related to the iAutomate.

It does look promising though.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

active has ALOT further range. i'm looking for something hopefully around the 40m.

and i dont want to jump in and buy a bunch of mess like i did with x10 hardware.....

most of the posts i saw were mostly passive rfid,

Comment

Active RFID means the tags transmit on some interval. They have an onboard battery.
          Passive RFID transmit when scanned as the result of a magnetic field. The do not have a battery, but rather an oscillator.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Yep, all of the past posts on the "popular" RFID is Active and many of us have the 40 M tags as well as the 10-15 meter tags as well.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The one you linked to is not the one most on the board, including me, use.

I have a receiver and four 40m tags from here; http://www.ebay.com/sch/southhorizon...p2047675.l2562

They work good in our two vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by jbbtex View Post
                The one you linked to is not the one most on the board, including me, use.

I have a receiver and four 40m tags from here; http://www.ebay.com/sch/southhorizon...p2047675.l2562

They work good in our two vehicles.
                how far from the driveway is your receiver? and how well does it work? what plug in are you using?

and which model #s are you using?

thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by fischb22 View Post
                  how far from the driveway is your receiver? and how well does it work? what plug in are you using?

and which model #s are you using?

thank you!
                  The receiver(RF8315R) is in the attic above the garage.

And I have two transmitters(RF40315T-x) in each car. I started with just one per car, but had issues. I'm not sure what was the cause, but occasionally, events set to trigger when a vehicle was gone would trigger with the car in the garage. Since I added the second transmitters, this problem is gone.

I'm using the BLRfid plug-in.

Range is really good. I have things set to open the garage door when one of our cars comes into range. The door always opens before I get to the driveway and sometimes that distance is about 100 ft.

Comment

BTW; the owner of the company on Ebay / website never did bend on the prices; always firm. Over the years though I've only had maybe 1 device fail me.

The one that failed was one of the RFID devices which utilized the 12VDC from the car battery.

Today I just have one of these in the headliner in a case near but not adjacent to the dome lights flush against the top hood of the car.

I did have an issue with two other cars where the computer system in the car shuts down every device on the bus; no matter what; which is good and bad; depending on how you look at it.

This is where you rewire with a direct connect to the car battery or use batteries for the device which really do last a long time.

One of the most recently issues (unrelated to the OP) I had was with a "sticky" blue tooth in one car where it would remain connected to my phone even though the phone was at a distance from the car. It did drain the batteries (IE: replaced the battery 3 times from when new in a span of two years). The automobile did have a 5 year warranty but the dealer still blamed me for the issue; later though the car mfg did acknowledge the issue and redid the firmware on the blue tooth module.

I didn't have an issue with a similiar bluetooth OEM module in an older car; but a generation of blue tooth prior to current.
                    Last edited by Pete; March 9, 2014, 01:30 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Perhaps someone here can help me. I bought this rfid receiver (RF8315R) and 5 transmitters. I have it plugged to a serial port on my pc, no usb adapters. I have tried watching it using 'Termite' and see zero activity. I have tried adding it to Blades rfid plugin and nothing is showing in the logs, even with debug logs turned on.

What kind of activity should I be seeing? Are you using the 9vdc power jack on the receiver? In talking to the ebay seller he said it wasn't necessary, but I haven't found one that fits anyway. Is there anything else I can do to try to get this working or confirm some activity? I am completely lost at this point.

Comment

You should see the tag ID every time it transmits. I had to use a DC adapter on the receiver to get it to work.

I've since switched to Wavetrend as their gear has more features.

Comment

I will try to find a dc adapter that fits. Any suggestions on the exact specs of your dc adapter? I have tried a few different ones that just don't fit. From the ebay seller I got this response: "This receive normally does not require external power. If you really want to try 9V please use 2.1 center positive jack." If you have switched to another brand, any chance you want to sell whatever you have leftover of this type?

Comment

Originally posted by vjnexus View Post
                            I will try to find a dc adapter that fits. Any suggestions on the exact specs of your dc adapter? I have tried a few different ones that just don't fit. From the ebay seller I got this response: "This receive normally does not require external power. If you really want to try 9V please use 2.1 center positive jack." If you have switched to another brand, any chance you want to sell whatever you have leftover of this type?
                            I bought this for my receiver:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/201065556407...84.m1439.l2649
                            Works great.
                            9V 1000mA 1A AC to DC Power Supply Switching Adapter
                            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                            "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

That receiver does not output proper serial signaling. I modified several, using a proper TTL to RS232 conversion chip, and a dedicated power supply. Their design is very cheap, and this is why you have problems. Many serial ports will not work with them, and forget the idea that it would work stock on a network serial server (if you even care about that).

If you want to make an upgrade, then send me an email through the board. If you have the circuit skills, then I suggest making the modification yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X