POE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POE?

Does the latest z-net have the ability to use POE?
    Michael

Any RPi can be powered by a POE connection.

Historically here have used the TP-Link power splitters.

There was a mention of a small footprint POE splitter on Amazon a couple of weeks ago relating to using the Dot or GV devices.

Actually your post has me purchasing one to test out....

UCTRONICS IEEE 802.3af Micro USB Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A for Tablets, Dropcam or Raspberry Pi (48V to 5V 2.4A)
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've used the TP-Link adaptor, the one Pete linked above and this one. I settled on the last one, because I like the left angle micro USB connector. My Z-nets are powered using that adaptor without a hiccup.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        I've used the TP-Link adaptor, the one Pete linked above and this one. I settled on the last one, because I like the left angle micro USB connector. My Z-nets are powered using that adaptor without a hiccup.
        I've got 3 or 4 of the same ones as Randy from POE Texas powering my Rainforest Eagle and Moca adapters.

Comment

I think I've answered my own question, but just to make sure. I have Unifi switches which are 802.3af/at POE+. By plugging the above described devices into one of my switches, I can then get 5 volts to the Z-net?

Thanks for the replies.
          Michael

Comment

Yes.

Here power my tabletop touch tablets and remote RPi's with standard POE ==> POE 5VDC splitter like the one's mentioned above. (here use TP-Link).
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
              I think I've answered my own question, but just to make sure. I have Unifi switches which are 802.3af/at POE+. By plugging the above described devices into one of my switches, I can then get 5 volts to the Z-net?

Thanks for the replies.
              Both of mine are powered by Ubiquiti POE switches. They were powered by Cisco. Both work fine.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
                Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Any RPi can be powered by a POE connection.

Historically here have used the TP-Link power splitters.

There was a mention of a small footprint POE splitter on Amazon a couple of weeks ago relating to using the Dot or GV devices.

Actually your post has me purchasing one to test out....

UCTRONICS IEEE 802.3af Micro USB Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A for Tablets, Dropcam or Raspberry Pi (48V to 5V 2.4A)
                  That's the one I use for my Google Home Mini's. So far so good. Note that if you use that specific one, it requires a 802.3af injector on the other end (instead of using passive POE).

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    That's the exact one I use with my z-net. I also use their injector on the other end in my SMC:

https://www.amazon.com/WT-AT-8-56v12...01IODMBRY?th=1

IF anyone reads this, consider getting the at version in case you want to use PoE+ devices as well. If you get the af version, you can still use the same injector for PoE+, but you have to get the bigger power supply. I think this is great for someone who doesn't want to use a PoE switch but still has some PoE devices. I use it in conjunction with a 24 port switch (the injector ss in the top right of the SMC. I've attached an image of it).
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have not had issues over the years with the TP-Link power splitters. Started initial POE for touchscreens (7 watts) using a Tycon POE 5VDC splitter.

Never did worry here about the RPi using POE.

I like the footprint of the new ones.

Here are some pictures:

Tycon POE power splitter

[ATTACH]65961[/ATTACH]

TPLink POE power splitter - here installed one for OpenWRT micro router inside of Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel this past year.

[ATTACH]65962[/ATTACH]

This is the smallest POE splitter I have seen to date.

[ATTACH]65963[/ATTACH]
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                      X