Changing Device Locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Device Locations

Put this question in its own thread. How could this work for my needs?

I am looking at configuring the upstart file so the locations of my devices fall into 3 locations, (not UPB Device Link) location.

interior
    outdoor
    holiday

How can I do this?

That way when HS reads the config file.... no changes are to be made that messes up the UPB plugin.

Hope this is what was explained?

I am not using HS Touch just a regular HS web page. All my other HS created devices can be moved and reorganized to any location but UPB will not work with any changes when they are changed at HS web side. Feature Request - that should be locked since the device will not be able to be controlled if you change this location parameter.

Here is an example:

Status Location Name Code Last Change Control

None UPB Device Link White Lights ON/OFF &13 12/9/2010 6:23:31 AM

If I change the - UPB Device Link - to any other location, such as interior,
    HS will not be able to control them and in fact they have a mind of their own.

Thanks.
    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

You can rename any location in the upstart file that you want to make it say anywhere you want. If it's a location that already exists in HomeSeer the device will then be found in that location. If it's a location that does not exist in HomeSeer then it will be created and the device will be put there.

What you can't do is change any locations in HomeSeer, none, zip, Nada. HomeSeer is not in control of this, upstart is. If you have any dual channel devices those will give you grief as well since only one location can be assigned to them in upstart, even though they may control loads in two different locations.

Links are not something you can do much about either. They need to be in the UPB Device Link location that upstart puts all links into.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Links

I wasn't able to duplicate your exact problem. UPStart doesn't store location information for device links (which makes sense since they often involve multiple destination devices). The plug-in has to give the device a location so "UPB Device Link" was chosen. This *is* reset each time the plug-in restarts when it syncs the devices with the UPStart export file.

I made a change in the plug-in so that if the location attribute of an existing link device changes in HomeSeer, the attribute will be kept across the sync process. This essentially lets you change the location information for a link at will which is what I think you want in the first place.

Devices themselves have both name and location information in the UPStart file so those are still maintained. You just edit the UPStart configuration and the names in HomeSeer will be updated to match.

(I forgot to mention that I'm trying to figure out how Rich wants this distributed. I'll let you know)

Jon

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      Put this question in its own thread. How could this work for my needs?

I am looking at configuring the upstart file so the locations of my devices fall into 3 locations, (not UPB Device Link) location.

interior
      outdoor
      holiday

How can I do this?

That way when HS reads the config file.... no changes are to be made that messes up the UPB plugin.

Hope this is what was explained?

I am not using HS Touch just a regular HS web page. All my other HS created devices can be moved and reorganized to any location but UPB will not work with any changes when they are changed at HS web side. Feature Request - that should be locked since the device will not be able to be controlled if you change this location parameter.

Here is an example:

Status Location Name Code Last Change Control

None UPB Device Link White Lights ON/OFF &13 12/9/2010 6:23:31 AM

If I change the - UPB Device Link - to any other location, such as interior,
      HS will not be able to control them and in fact they have a mind of their own.

Thanks.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Jon:

Not to change the subject to far a field but it sounds like you've been working on the plug-in a bit. Will this by any chance fix the problem that it has tracking devices with channels, like the I/O modules and the newer dual load switches and outlets?
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I haven't yet figured out what the problem is there. The plug-in has full support for both multiple control and multiple sense channels. I have the UMI-32's here at my place working fine doing all sorts of jobs. I am working on an update so I would like to figure out what is going on. Maybe there was an UPStart export file chance that caused some issues. I would like to spend some time talking to you about what you are finding so that I can resolve the issue. Got some time?

Jon

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
          Jon:

Not to change the subject to far a field but it sounds like you've been working on the plug-in a bit. Will this by any chance fix the problem that it has tracking devices with channels, like the I/O modules and the newer dual load switches and outlets?
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Absolutely, Email sent and I'm at your disposal.
            Marty
            ------

Comment

Check the new beta posted for fixes to the posted issues.

Jon

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
              Absolutely, Email sent and I'm at your disposal.
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
              X