Thermostat recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat recommendation

I'm ready to add a thermostat to my zwave collection now and would like recommendations.

My current (non-zwave) thermostat is a honeywell (the cheapest the contractor had).

It has 7 wires.

What is the best Z-wave thermostat I can use?

Attached is a picture of my current thermostat wiring.

Thank you for the help and recommendations.
    Attached Files

The two best Z-Wave stats are the Trane unit and the Honeywell units.
    The trane unit is here:
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/HVAC-C67.aspx

The Honeywell can be picked in several places : http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH83.../dp/B005EJ7YO2
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, Rupp.

You've always been so helpful and I can't thank you enough for that.

I will order the Trane.

Comment

I dont understand the admiration for Zwave as a thermostat automation interface. This creates a dependency on a PC/HS and a Zwave network to remotely control the thermostat. The IP/Wifi technology provides more options and greater availabilty. It can be controlled via HS if desired or with an IPhone/Android App or browser with the only dependence being the WiFi router. The 3M unit can be obtained online or local Home Depot for $100. The documented API gives full control such as being able to display user-generated messages on the unit's display.

Just as there is no "best" car, there is no "best" thermostat. Units exists in the marketplace based upon design criteria to satisfy a specific objective. It may a simple UI, it may be maximum user tweakabilty, it may be optimal energy usage, it may be optimal room comfort, retrofit flexibilty, etc. I have seen products with a motion sensor receiver so it can incorporate occupancy into the control solution.

Comment

Michael,
          It's most likely the fact that there is a plugin for the Z-Wave stats and there isn't one for the IP stats which will allow for the ability to set and change set point, fan status, etc from with HomeSeer. I believe someone is creating an IP stat plugin but who knows when that will come out and if it will work with different stats, my guess is it will not. There's also the fact that the newest Honeywell stat is a direct replacement for many users that already have the Trane/American Standard units. These touch screens are really nice and the fact that they are a direct replacement make the choice less of a guess as to what the stat supports.

Comment

Michael,

I'm with you on that one... I just had two new A/C units installed and both my Wayne Dalton z-wave tstat's can only support 1 Cooling Stage, so I need to now replace both... I'm headed the IP direction just for the reasons you mentioned. (Of course I'm assuming the plug-in issue will be solved soon!)

John

Comment

With as many poll failures as I'm experiencing on ZWave, and knowing that now, I would probably elect not to choose a ZWave Thermostat and go IP
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Check out the Proliphix IP Thermostats. There's already a plugin for these as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Check out the Proliphix IP Thermostats. There's already a plugin for these as well.
                  Arent these discontinued?
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I know it's painful for folks who have invested (as I have) in other wireless technologies like Z-Wave, Insteon, etc - but is there really any question as to which wireless protocol is going to be used to control home devices? In three years, every device (lights, thermostats, etc) on the market will offer a wifi option, and software to control these devices will be written for Homeseer and every other home automation platform.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you should run out and buy a wifi thermostat today. The 3M-50 requires a lot of care and feeding, like any first-generation product. But if you don't buy it, you should realize that you will be using a wireless platform that will begin, in a few years time, to lose out to the single, global wireless data standard that has already been established.

And I know the arguments about how Z-Wave and Insteon are better, mesh networks are more reliable, etc. It doesn't matter - Betamax was better than VHS. The best technology doesn't always win.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      Arent these discontinued?
                      WOW! I guess they are. I had no idea that they quit selling to the DIY market. These were very high quality stats but the price reflected that.

Comment

Re the CT30:
                        Isn't the CT30-WIFI basically the same device as the CT30E (Z-Wave).
                        This unit has two slots for USNAP modules. Can it support both the Z-Wave and WiFi modules simultaneously? It would be the best of both worlds if this is the case. I have the ZWave model on test mode and was thinking of trying the WiFi version as well. Worst case, I have two to choose from... best case, a spare base unit.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                          Re the CT30:
                          This unit has two slots for USNAP modules. Can it support both the Z-Wave and WiFi modules simultaneously? It would be the best of both worlds if this is the case. I have the ZWave model on test mode and was thinking of trying the WiFi version as well. Worst case, I have two to choose from... best case, a spare base unit.
                          I believe it is and one user posted recently that he was going to try the swap but I'm not sure he got back with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            I believe it is and one user posted recently that he was going to try the swap but I'm not sure he got back with the results.
                            I hadn't been paying attention to the threads on this subject. It stands to reason though since the doc that came with the CT30E states the Z-Wave module needs to be in Slot A (or B, can't remember) that the WI-FI module would belong in the other slot. The question then would be whether or not the firmware in my older model will support the new module. I had done some research way back... perhaps another search will turn something up now. I'm just curious enough to go ahead and order another.
                            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                              Re the CT30:
                              I had a Home Depot Wi-Fi thermostat by 3M. I also had a z-wave CT-30 on another floor. I managed to convince the RadioThermostat.com folks to sell me a z-wave USNAP module, so that I could convert the Wi-Fi stat to z-wave and avoid buying a second CT-30. I worked, but rather poorly. The thermostat definitely will NOT support both modules at the same time. It did sort-of support my powering down and swapping the Wi-Fi module for a z-wave one. However, I had so many configuration and daily communication issues that in a week I ordered another CT-30 and threw my Home Depot stat in a shed. Of course, ther reason I am on this thread now is because I am so fed-up with both of my CT-30 stats that I am ready to spend any money just to get a reliable z-wave thermostat!

Comment

Working...
                              X